Why did I leave the house this week?

  • Alex Diaz
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
      First, I'm replacing the thermostat in the car, and end up breaking off
      one of the bolts that hold the housing on. Then, I find out my ex-wife
      is making more money than me, although she hasn't offered to refund any
      support payments that I'm aware of.. Now today, I drop the Trophy.
      Stopped before reaching the gate at work because it was colder than I'd
      though and wanted to change to winter gloves. In the process of
      juggling a cigarette, gloves, hateful thoughts of above-mentioned
      ex-wife, and the sidestand, somehow the sidestand came in last. My foot
      went through the motions, but my brain failed to notice that I hadn't
      actually moved the thing, so I go to step off, and gravity does what
      gravity does.

      Busted front turn signal, badly scratched up pannier lid, scratched and
      pushed in at middle mounting bolt side panel. I'm truly surprised at
      the amount of damage to the pannier lid paint. Oh well, life goes on.
      Fortunately, my most excellent current wife will buy me the parts as
      xmas gifts, or I'd be tempted to leave it as is just to punish myself.
      Except for the turn signal, which I've already ordered. $600 worth of
      parts for a 0-speed drop, I can't imagine what it would be if I
      low-sided it!

      Remember people, the shiny side is supposed to stay up!

      Cheers.

      Alex Diaz
      '00 Trophy 900 (battle scarred)
      Fairfax, VA
    • Phil Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
        I feel your pain.

        > Fortunately, my most excellent current wife will buy me the parts
        as
        > xmas gifts, or I'd be tempted to leave it as is just to punish
        myself.
        > Except for the turn signal, which I've already ordered. $600
        worth of
        > parts for a 0-speed drop, I can't imagine what it would be if I
        > low-sided it!
        >
        > Remember people, the shiny side is supposed to stay up!
        >
        > Cheers.
        >
        > Alex Diaz
        > '00 Trophy 900 (battle scarred)
        > Fairfax, VA
      • Barry Rhodes
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
          Quit smoking,and you'll pay for the repairs in no time from the money you'll save,and you won't drop your bike again.
[...]

          Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

          FAQs:

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • barry schmidt

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
              Dropped my bike a month back or so. Forget the disc
              lock was in place and I parked in a way that was a
              clear forward take off. Bang, I went down. But I am
              stubborn I let the otherside footpeg jam against my
              leg and we went done very gracefully. 6 weeks later
              and the knot in my leg is not gone but the bike only
              had a cracked lens- replace for $7. bucks american and
              very few scratches.

              I have been thinking of doing just as you wrote but
              one difference. I have the touch up lacquer paint and
              I have been wondering if I dillute the paint with
              thinner than air brush and feather the paint in if it
              will work or not. Then of course top cover with
              clear. Anyone tried this.

              --- barry schmidt <inthewoods@...> wrote:

              > What is wrong with sanding those scratches out or
              > filling them and and getting those fairings painted

              http://my.yahoo.com
            • Robert Clark
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
                The factory Dupont paint is NOT lacquer. Since the material is different I
                don’t think I’d want to mix materials on a large highly visible surface.
                The clear coat is Poly Urethane. I believe the color codes are listed in
                the FAQ

                Bob Clark
                01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
                96 Magna Red Honda PC-800
                71 Suzuki T-500

                Dropped my bike a month back or so. Forget the disc
                lock was in place and I parked in a way that was a
                clear forward take off. Bang, I went down. But I am
                stubborn I let the otherside footpeg jam against my
                leg and we went done very gracefully. 6 weeks later
                and the knot in my leg is not gone but the bike only
                had a cracked lens- replace for $7. bucks american and
                very few scratches.

                I have been thinking of doing just as you wrote but
                one difference. I have the touch up lacquer paint and
                I have been wondering if I dillute the paint with
                thinner than air brush and feather the paint in if it
                will work or not. Then of course top cover with
                clear. Anyone tried this.

                --- barry schmidt <inthewoods@...> wrote:

                > What is wrong with sanding those scratches out or
                > filling them and and getting those fairings painted

                http://my.yahoo.com

                Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments
                are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of
                the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

                FAQs:
                href="
                http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDVOP5EPHnljXq-9iPCgjGwUdHUKzLwAMeBqkZ_PyLZhp2i
                PfOi177Vmc8AvZ9UippkWqnCAy9FpHH6L/ALL_FAQ/FAQ.html"><font

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                click here
                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129c9el8t/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=gr
                oups/S=1705126259:HM/EXP=1102290107/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.
                netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

                _____

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Alex Diaz
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
                  Barry Rhodes wrote:

                  > Quit smoking,and you'll pay for the repairs in no time from the money
                  > you'll save,and you won't drop your bike again.

                  Oh believe me, I've already given up smoking on the bike! I rarely ever
                  smoke cigarettes though, mainly just cigars, and I ain't giving them up!

                  Alex
                • Alex Diaz
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
                    barry schmidt wrote:

                    > What is wrong with sanding those scratches out or filling them and and
                    > getting those fairings painted .Those parts are ABS plastic and there
                    > are some real good fillers for that stuff. Most of the time scratches
                    > like that can just be feathered out . The plastic is about 1/4 in.
                    > thick on those side fairings. I bought my Trophy wrecked ,it had slid
                    > quite a ways on the rt. side.I thought for sure I would have to
                    > replace that fairing but I sanded on it for about 5 min.and 90% of the
                    > scratches were gone I had the rest filled and the boath side and top
                    > fairings painted for 200.00 .I guarantee you cant tell they were ever
                    > hurt. Barry S

                    I've actually got a buddy who dropped his FJR a couple of weeks ago and
                    is having the damage fixed rather than replace parts, so I am going to
                    consider that option after I see his result and cost. Right now I'm
                    figuring that if I don't go that route, I will just have SWMBO get me
                    the pannier lid. The side panel doesn't look nearly as bad, and I can
                    probably make it look better with some elbow grease. I doesn't have to
                    be perfect.

                    Alex