Re: 900 ridebility

  • Steve Campbell
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
      I guess I'd better have a bash at this as a new owner recently facing
      some similar questions...

      I have only ever been on my 900 so I can't compare the two sizes but
      I love mine to bits. It's an amazing 2 up tourer with plenty of
      everything (comfort, power, space, flickability, good looks). I have,
      however dropped it twice now in the garage and in a slow speed
      takeoff where I didn't give it enough squirt on a highly cambered
      street. I'm short and fat (enough of the euphemisms!) at 5'9" and 185
      pound. It's a handful of you can only flat foot on one side
      (Passenger and gear does drop the ride height a significant amount).
      I'm learning, and at almost $100 a shot for new indicators it's a
      quick learn!

      I now judiciously choose where to park and often cruise around the
      block to find the least embarrassing spot - where I can still see the
      bike of course.

      The upside of of all this is you're riding a fine motorcycle; one
      that people will stop and chat with you about, and a machine that
      will serve you well, and you're riding something! - something which
      ultimately MUST make you happy to take it out - each and every time.
      If you don't feel proud and excited by the thought of riding your
      bike... it's not the right bike!

      Steve Campbell
      96 BBB (Merlot - with a slight hint of cherry and some extra tannin)
    • Phil Smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
        if you buy them as a six pack you can get the price break to 52
        bucks!
        phil

        > I'm learning, and at almost $100 a shot for new indicators it's a
        > quick learn!
        >
        >> Steve Campbell
        > 96 BBB (Merlot - with a slight hint of cherry and some extra
        tannin)
      • Dave Davenport
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Campbell" <scamp@b...>
          wrote:

          > I guess I'd better have a bash at this as a new owner recently
          facing
          > some similar questions... Steve Cambell

          Good post Steve. Your experience sounds similar to mine. I too have
          learned the hardway to carefully select the parking spot! (And make
          sure your passenger knows to get off the back on the left side
          only, .... don't ask me how I know......) Dave 96'1200 "Merlot
          Red".

        • Joe Mullins
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
            geez...I didnn't want to admit that I had dropped a spotless 97 900 in the first
            week I had it...but I did. I found the left signal costs 52.00 + labor. Im due for
            maintainence so I'll have that done then...Anybody touch up scratches? Hard
            to do? WHat works the spray or brush touch up?

            Im still undecided about lowering...Im sure I'll get us the the height/weight in
            time. I'll ask my Triumph if he will lower using the method I found here...I know
            some mechanics/dealers are unwilling to do modifications like that.

            Keep you all posted

            Joe
            Peekskill NY

            97 Trophy 900 Racing Green

            Damn do I love the way this thigs rides

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Davenport" <
            davenport.d@w...> wrote:

            > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Campbell" <scamp@b...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I guess I'd better have a bash at this as a new owner recently
            > facing
            > > some similar questions... Steve Cambell
            >
            > Good post Steve. Your experience sounds similar to mine. I too have
            > learned the hardway to carefully select the parking spot! (And make
            > sure your passenger knows to get off the back on the left side
            > only, .... don't ask me how I know......) Dave 96'1200 "Merlot
            > Red".

          • Alex Diaz
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
              j.schisler@... wrote:

              > Joe, I came from a lighter bike myself. I found that I wasn't
              > counter-balancing enough. Once I stumbled upon that and with a bit of
              > practice I found I could ride slow and turn easily. -jims

              <SNIP>

              Absolutely. Although I came from a heavier bike, I didn't find the
              Trophy easier to handle at low speed until I started what felt like
              really exaggerated counter-balancing--that made control a piece of
              cake. I tried that because I watched a motorcycle police skills
              competition here a few months ago, and those guys do the same thing.

              Alex Diaz
              '00 Trophy 900
              Fairfax, VA