Re: 900 ridebility

  • Phil Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
      I recently got my 1200 after 10 years on a Honda Magns V45 750.

      I have also had the GT750 Suziki and numerous 400 and 500 cc bikes.
      I raced motocross 250 and open and this 1200 is a bunch of bike.

      Either one will more than test the manhood of anyone. I consider
      myself a safe driver and the 1200 has challenged my underwear mmore
      than once.

      Just respect that it is a monsterous and lots of fun!

      > I am finding that my trophy is difficult at low speed. Parking
      lots, gas stations
      > etc. but once under way it is smooth and powerfull. My last bike
      was a 82
      > CB750f Super Sport it was as heavy as the trophy and as long very
      similar
      > ...but I would toss that thing around like it was a bicycle...but
      at 85mph the 750
      > felt as though you were doing 120. It seems the better riding
      bikes at speed
      > are difficult when going slow
      >

      > Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations &
      comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each
      contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk &
      discretion of the reader!

      > FAQs:
      > href="http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDVOP5EPHnljXq-
      9iPCgjGwUdHUKzLwAMeBqkZ_PyLZhp2iPfOi177Vmc8AvZ9UippkWqnCAy9FpHH6L/ALL_
      FAQ/FAQ.html"><font
      > color="#FF0000" size="3"><strong>FAQs (Frequently Asked
      Questions),

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.

    • Steve Campbell
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
        I guess I'd better have a bash at this as a new owner recently facing
        some similar questions...

        I have only ever been on my 900 so I can't compare the two sizes but
        I love mine to bits. It's an amazing 2 up tourer with plenty of
        everything (comfort, power, space, flickability, good looks). I have,
        however dropped it twice now in the garage and in a slow speed
        takeoff where I didn't give it enough squirt on a highly cambered
        street. I'm short and fat (enough of the euphemisms!) at 5'9" and 185
        pound. It's a handful of you can only flat foot on one side
        (Passenger and gear does drop the ride height a significant amount).
        I'm learning, and at almost $100 a shot for new indicators it's a
        quick learn!

        I now judiciously choose where to park and often cruise around the
        block to find the least embarrassing spot - where I can still see the
        bike of course.

        The upside of of all this is you're riding a fine motorcycle; one
        that people will stop and chat with you about, and a machine that
        will serve you well, and you're riding something! - something which
        ultimately MUST make you happy to take it out - each and every time.
        If you don't feel proud and excited by the thought of riding your
        bike... it's not the right bike!

        Steve Campbell
        96 BBB (Merlot - with a slight hint of cherry and some extra tannin)
      • Phil Smith
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
          if you buy them as a six pack you can get the price break to 52
          bucks!
          phil

          > I'm learning, and at almost $100 a shot for new indicators it's a
          > quick learn!
          >
          >> Steve Campbell
          > 96 BBB (Merlot - with a slight hint of cherry and some extra
          tannin)
        • Dave Davenport
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Campbell" <scamp@b...>
            wrote:

            > I guess I'd better have a bash at this as a new owner recently
            facing
            > some similar questions... Steve Cambell

            Good post Steve. Your experience sounds similar to mine. I too have
            learned the hardway to carefully select the parking spot! (And make
            sure your passenger knows to get off the back on the left side
            only, .... don't ask me how I know......) Dave 96'1200 "Merlot
            Red".

          • Joe Mullins
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
              geez...I didnn't want to admit that I had dropped a spotless 97 900 in the first
              week I had it...but I did. I found the left signal costs 52.00 + labor. Im due for
              maintainence so I'll have that done then...Anybody touch up scratches? Hard
              to do? WHat works the spray or brush touch up?

              Im still undecided about lowering...Im sure I'll get us the the height/weight in
              time. I'll ask my Triumph if he will lower using the method I found here...I know
              some mechanics/dealers are unwilling to do modifications like that.

              Keep you all posted

              Joe
              Peekskill NY

              97 Trophy 900 Racing Green

              Damn do I love the way this thigs rides

              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Davenport" <
              davenport.d@w...> wrote:

              > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Campbell" <scamp@b...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I guess I'd better have a bash at this as a new owner recently
              > facing
              > > some similar questions... Steve Cambell
              >
              > Good post Steve. Your experience sounds similar to mine. I too have
              > learned the hardway to carefully select the parking spot! (And make
              > sure your passenger knows to get off the back on the left side
              > only, .... don't ask me how I know......) Dave 96'1200 "Merlot
              > Red".

            • Alex Diaz
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
                j.schisler@... wrote:

                > Joe, I came from a lighter bike myself. I found that I wasn't
                > counter-balancing enough. Once I stumbled upon that and with a bit of
                > practice I found I could ride slow and turn easily. -jims

                <SNIP>

                Absolutely. Although I came from a heavier bike, I didn't find the
                Trophy easier to handle at low speed until I started what felt like
                really exaggerated counter-balancing--that made control a piece of
                cake. I tried that because I watched a motorcycle police skills
                competition here a few months ago, and those guys do the same thing.

                Alex Diaz
                '00 Trophy 900
                Fairfax, VA