900vs1200 / CORBIN seat / pickup coil

  • Neil Christie
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
      "I'm looking to purchase my first bike and I'm stuck between the
      following: '00 Trophy 900 w/ 5k vs. '98 Trophy 1200 w/ 26k."

      The simple act of you posting and asking displays maturity - so don't
      think you'll be overwhelmed by either. Use your head - but that's
      necessary on a moped, too, eh? The 900 is closer, younger, less
      miles. Get it and never second guess. Take the MSF course, beginner
      and / or experienced, read books, watch videos (books and videos are
      great Christmas gifts, etc.) practice, etc. I have both a 900 Speed
      Triple (96 - so the carb'd engine, just like the Trophy) and a 1200
      Trophy - I can scare myself equally on either. I sometimes ride with
      someone, he no his Trophy 900 and me on my 1200 - and on any public
      roadway the rider skill and knowledge of the road makes WAY more
      difference than the bikes' abilities.

      CORBIN SEAT in OZ ....mine fit, straight on. Sure all your cables
      etc. are out of the way? The "tongue" on the seat goes under, not
      against, the tank support.

      CRANK POSITION SENSOR = PICKUP COIL, right hand side, at about 11:00
      under the cover. 80% + of the effort to change it out is the removal
      and replacement of the fairing. Be advised - my 98 1200 was
      exhibiting the exact symptoms of a bad pickup (infrequent, complete
      and immediate shutdown when hot), but changing it had no improvement -
      turned out to be the ignite box - BUT, my local dealer (wonderful,
      cooperative dealer) was able to get Triumph to goodwill it - so my
      total was $120 US for the labor. Works GREAT now.

      Neil
    • jet_cmx
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
        ... hey, thanks Neil.

        Would you think a "Triple" to be a better first bike? I have looked
        at several "naked" bikes with more relaxed geometry for touring.

        Todd

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Christie"
        <nchristie@a...> wrote:

        > "I'm looking to purchase my first bike and I'm stuck between the
        > following: '00 Trophy 900 w/ 5k vs. '98 Trophy 1200 w/ 26k."
        >
        > The simple act of you posting and asking displays maturity - so
        don't
        > think you'll be overwhelmed by either. Use your head - but that's
        > necessary on a moped, too, eh? The 900 is closer, younger, less
        > miles. Get it and never second guess. Take the MSF course,
        beginner
        > and / or experienced, read books, watch videos (books and videos
        are
        > great Christmas gifts, etc.) practice, etc. I have both a 900
        Speed
        > Triple (96 - so the carb'd engine, just like the Trophy) and a 1200
        > Trophy - I can scare myself equally on either. I sometimes ride
        with
        > someone, he no his Trophy 900 and me on my 1200 - and on any public
        > roadway the rider skill and knowledge of the road makes WAY more
        > difference than the bikes' abilities.
        >

        > CORBIN SEAT in OZ ....mine fit, straight on. Sure all your cables
        > etc. are out of the way? The "tongue" on the seat goes under, not
        > against, the tank support.
        >

        > CRANK POSITION SENSOR = PICKUP COIL, right hand side, at about
        11:00
        > under the cover. 80% + of the effort to change it out is the
        removal
        > and replacement of the fairing. Be advised - my 98 1200 was
        > exhibiting the exact symptoms of a bad pickup (infrequent, complete
        > and immediate shutdown when hot), but changing it had no
        improvement -
        > turned out to be the ignite box - BUT, my local dealer (wonderful,
        > cooperative dealer) was able to get Triumph to goodwill it - so my
        > total was $120 US for the labor. Works GREAT now.
        >
        > Neil
      • Neil Christie
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
          the Trophy 900 would seem fine for what you want - a little touring,
          light sporty riding, commuting. The wind protection and baggage are
          really useful and apreciated. The Speed Triple is great fun, but
          more for play.

          A NEW Sprint ST is what - about $8,000? Fuel injected engine, bags,
          full warranty, etc. NICE ride.

          Neil

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "jet_cmx" <jet_cmx@y...> wrote:

          > ... hey, thanks Neil.
          >
          > Would you think a "Triple" to be a better first bike? I have
          looked
          > at several "naked" bikes with more relaxed geometry for touring.
          >

          > Todd
        • Richard
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2004
            Todd -
            The first time I swung a leg over my 900 was to ride
            from Boston to Atlanta, 1271 miles. So it can be done.
            What the guys are trying to say is either bike will
            do just great, the real "depender" is how much intown
            are you planning, because the 900 has an advantage if
            you stop often or do commuting.

            The Trophy does feel "heavy" under 5 mph, but it is a
            vastly superior to any "naked" bike you can buy,
            ESPECIALLY for touring where wind buffeting becomes
            a MAJOR fatigue factor. My trip took 3 days, so I was
            doing more than 400 miles each day. The only reason
            I stopped was hunger. The only thing that you'll want
            naked on a touring bike is the lady sitting behind you!

            I used to drive big busses. You HAVE to get used to
            parking in places where you can pull straight out.
            It is simply illegal to back a bus in many states,
            but if you want to haul 70 people, a bus is required.
            So you learn to think early and often about parking.

            The heaviness in Trophies is the same way. It's not a
            "show stopper", you simply need to think and plan
            ahead. Pull to the closest fuel pump. Do not ride a
            Trophy to Wal-Mart. Do not ride on dirt roads. Just use
            a little common sense and you'll be in love before
            the first week is out. I promise.

            Hope this helps.

            Smitten in Suwanee

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "jet_cmx" <jet_cmx@y...> wrote:

            > ... hey, thanks Neil.

            Would you think a "Triple" to be a better first bike? I
            have looked at several "naked" bikes with more relaxed
            geometry for touring.

            > Todd
          • Scott & Sandy Plank
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2004
              Huh?

              I ride to Wal-Mart and to the grocery store all the time. I also ride
              an occasional dirt road. Both have been pretty enjoyable on my 1200 :-)

              Scott
              2002 Azure Blue BBBB

              On Friday, December 3, 2004, at 12:35 PM, Richard wrote:

              > The heaviness in Trophies is the same way. It's not a
              > "show stopper", you simply need to think and plan
              > ahead. Pull to the closest fuel pump. Do not ride a
              > Trophy to Wal-Mart. Do not ride on dirt roads. Just use
              > a little common sense and you'll be in love before
              > the first week is out. I promise.

            • Dean Barger
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2004
                I RIDE MY TROPHY 1200 TO WALLY WORLD OFTEN !

                ;P

                Richard <rfwhat@...> wrote:

                Todd -
                The first time I swung a leg over my 900 was to ride
                from Boston to Atlanta, 1271 miles. So it can be done.
                What the guys are trying to say is either bike will
                do just great, the real "depender" is how much intown
                are you planning, because the 900 has an advantage if
                you stop often or do commuting.

                The Trophy does feel "heavy" under 5 mph, but it is a
                vastly superior to any "naked" bike you can buy,
                ESPECIALLY for touring where wind buffeting becomes
                a MAJOR fatigue factor. My trip took 3 days, so I was
                doing more than 400 miles each day. The only reason
                I stopped was hunger. The only thing that you'll want
                naked on a touring bike is the lady sitting behind you!

                I used to drive big busses. You HAVE to get used to
                parking in places where you can pull straight out.
                It is simply illegal to back a bus in many states,
                but if you want to haul 70 people, a bus is required.
                So you learn to think early and often about parking.

                The heaviness in Trophies is the same way. It's not a
                "show stopper", you simply need to think and plan
                ahead. Pull to the closest fuel pump. Do not ride a
                Trophy to Wal-Mart. Do not ride on dirt roads. Just use
                a little common sense and you'll be in love before
                the first week is out. I promise.

                Hope this helps.

                Smitten in Suwanee

                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "jet_cmx" <jet_cmx@y...> wrote:

                > ... hey, thanks Neil.

                Would you think a "Triple" to be a better first bike? I
                have looked at several "naked" bikes with more relaxed
                geometry for touring.

                > Todd

                Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

                FAQs:

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Robert Clark
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 3, 2004
                  Was posted:

                  Pull to the closest fuel pump. Do not ride a
                  Trophy to Wal-Mart. Do not ride on dirt roads. Just use
                  a little common sense and you'll be in love before
                  the first week is out. I promise.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Smitten in Suwanee

                  I Always pull to the last pump so it's easier to get out. I regularly ride
                  my Trophy 1200 to Wally World. And the road I live on which is a mile and a
                  half long wasn't paved until early October of this year. My trophy gets
                  ridden regularly. I'm 5'6" tall with a 29" inseam and 160lbs.
                  Michelle learned to ride on the dirt rd also. She has put over 9000 miles
                  on her PC-800 every trip included a ride in and out on the dirt rd. She is
                  5'2" tall and 120lbs with SHORT legs.

                  Bob Clark
                  01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
                  96 Magna Rd Honda PC-800