1200 Trophy running badly

  • andy_trophy12
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
      Had a ride out to Thirsk on Sunday, the bike ran fine with no hint
      of a problem. (Put fuel in after washing bike off).
      Monday morning I set off for work as normal, got onto a quiet B road
      and found that the engine revs were eratic when clinming above 3000
      rpm, as though there might be a carb blockage or similar?
      Today the bike is worse, the revs are very eratic at most speeds,
      one second the bike will pull away and the next it's struggling to
      go.

      All I've tried so far is put a drop of redex into the fuel tank,
      loosen off the carb drain screws to let out any possible water, but
      it's had no effect. The bike still runs poorly.

      Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm trying to avoid
      visiting the garage as we posties aren't made of money :-)

      If it could be the spark plugs, is it possible to remove the fuel
      tank for access without removing the fairing side panels ?
      P.S The bike was serviced approx 4000 miles ago (non franchise).

      Thanks a lot.
    • Phillip Koken
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
        Bad coil is my guess...

        In any case, you can certainly pull the tank without removing the side
        fairing pieces. You do need to remove the tail fairing (which you can do as
        ONE piece) to get to the bolts that hold the tank onto the bike.

        Phillip Koken
        http://www.koken.org/
        Sunnyvale, California

        AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@...
        YM: philkoken ICQ: 456807

[...]

        Yahoo! Autos. Everything you need to know about buying or selling a car.
        FREE Quotes, 360° Tours, Research, Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/zliolB/TM

        FAQs:
        href="http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDVOP5EPHnljXq-9iPCgjGwUdHUKzLwAMeBqkZ_Py
        LZhp2iPfOi177Vmc8AvZ9UippkWqnCAy9FpHH6L/ALL_FAQ/FAQ.html"><font
        color="#FF0000" size="3"><strong>FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions), click

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • BWG3COY@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
          In a message dated 02/11/2004 15:03:53 GMT Standard Time, phil@...
          writes:

          Bad coil is my guess...

          In any case, you can certainly pull the tank without removing the side
          fairing pieces. You do need to remove the tail fairing (which you can do as
          ONE piece) to get to the bolts that hold the tank onto the bike.

          Phillip Koken
          http://www.koken.org/

          Always start at the cheapest end:
          Plugs Should be brick red. White is dangerous as it is a too lean mixture and
          can burn a hole in a piston crown. Check hand book for adjustment
          HT leads
          Coil
          Check earth or any component for dirt
          Last, check fuel, lines, Carb diaphragm, needle jets, dirt in float bowl

          cofion (regards in welsh) Reidio y balchder (Ride with pride)
          John Bonnewell secretary/treasurer Blue Knights Wales 1
          _Blue Knights Wales 1 _ (http://www.bkwales1.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm)

        • Richard
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
            Andy -
            Sorry to hear of your problems. There are 2 known issues with the
            Trophy, but to help you we need the total mileage on the bike, not
            how far since the last tuneup. The fuel filters seem to need checking
            every 15,000 miles or so. The ignition triggers seems to go out
            every 20-24,000.

            You did the right thing by looking for water in the fuel first,
            but I would suggest a more logical approach after that. Since
            clogged fuel filters is something you can do, let's start there.

            Pull the seat cowling, then pull the tank. Pull the fuel lines off
            the carbs. There inside each nylon fuel inlet is a tiny little
            "basket" that acts like a filter. They are about 3/8" long. Pull
            them out with tweesers and check their contents. (You can replace
            the fuel lines (5/16" or 8mm) and plugs while you have the tank off
            as cheap insurance.)

            Check the fuel flow from the tank while it's on the bench. Remember
            that you'll have to supply vacuum to get fuel to flow in the ON
            and RESERVE positions. Definitely replace the vacuum line with
            fuel tubing (1/8" or 3mm).

            Put the tank back on and check for kinked fuel and vacuum lines.
            Then go for a test ride. That should cure 95% of all fuel issues.

            If you suspect a bad coil, then have them tested, not replaced.
            Last is the ignition trigger which requires a little more work.
            If all else fails you can investigate that, but your problem
            sounds more like fuel to me.

            Hope this helps.
            Richard

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "andy_trophy12"

          • apsllp@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
              Look at the coils and substitute known good coils to test.

              Bob Clark
              01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
              96 Magna Red Honda PC-800
              71 Suzuki T-500

              > From: "andy_trophy12" <andyaveyard@...>
              > Date: 2004/11/02 Tue AM 09:20:40 EST
              > To: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [TriumphTrophy] 1200 Trophy running badly

            • andy_trophy12
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <rfwhat@b...> wrote:

                > Andy -
                > Sorry to hear of your problems. There are 2 known issues with the
                > Trophy, but to help you we need the total mileage on the bike, not
                > how far since the last tuneup. The fuel filters seem to need
                checking
                > every 15,000 miles or so. The ignition triggers seems to go out
                > every 20-24,000.

                Thanks for your reply, the bike has covered a fraction under 17000
                miles so that would fit in with what you suggest. I did suspect
                water in the fuel but this would be the first time it's ever
                happened (if it is that).