New Avons

  • kcmmib
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
      Thanks to this group for recommending the Avon tires. I just
      replaced my first set this past weekend. They had over 11.5K miles
      on them. I probably could have run the front tire a little longer
      but I like to change them both at the same time. These tires are
      great.

      Keith Miley
      2000 Platinum 1200
      Southern Illinois
    • Steve Wassenich
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
        Keith Miley wrote:

        > Thanks to this group for recommending the Avon tires. I just
        > replaced my first set this past weekend. They had over 11.5K miles
        > on them. I probably could have run the front tire a little longer
        > but I like to change them both at the same time. These tires are
        > great.

        11.5k? Note to self: Check out Michelins _and_ Avons. Woo hoo!

        Steve W.
      • Gordon
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "kcmmib" <kcmmib@y...> wrote:

          > Thanks to this group for recommending the Avon tires. I just
          > replaced my first set this past weekend.
          > Keith Miley

          Keith,
          Were they the AV 45/46 ST combination ? Could they have been AV
          45B /46B ST ? The Avon website lists both but doesn't explain the
          difference.
          Cheers, Gordon.
        • Phillip Koken
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
            The difference between the "B" and the regular Avon ST45/46 is the profile.
            "B" tires have a more triangular profile for quicker turn in.

            I have the "B" variant tires and I really like them- they do make the bike
            seem much lighter and more 'flickable'.

            I read somewhere there is a special variant for the FJR... If this is so, I
            would like to try those tires since the FJR & the Trophy are similar in
            weight and size.

            Phillip Koken
            http://www.koken.org/
            Sunnyvale, California

            AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@...
            YM: philkoken ICQ: 456807
          • Richard
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
              Guys -
              I just wanted to echo the others here. Put on a set of
              Avon AV45/46 tires just this weekend to replace the worn
              out ContiForce tires the bike came to me with. I was
              really torn up because the Contis were fairly impressive,
              but the Avons are far, far better. Very inspiring in the
              confidence department.

              While 2 up with my son, my solo pal following on a Harley
              drifted off the road in a curve trying to keep up. He's OK
              and this is not the way I usually test tires, but until
              then I hadn't realized the Avons had subtracted a couple
              of seconds from a favorite road course!

              I was torn between the softer AV49/50, but I'm glad now
              I didn't go that way. The AV45/46 are very soft on the
              sides when warm. Can't wait to see the total milage!

              Satisfied in Suwanee

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
                "Phillip Koken" <phil@k...> wrote:
                ........I have the "B" variant tires and I really like them
                I would like to try those (FJR special) tires since the FJR & the
                Trophy are similar in weight and size.
                > Phillip Koken

                Phillip,

                I've seen (in UK) an Avon list of recommended fitments, and the "B"
                tyres were listed for bikes like the Yamaha R1. You don't find they
                give any stability problems (like death weaves at speed) ?
                Recommended for the Trophy was the standard 170/60. If there is a
                special for the heavier FJR 1300, I would expect that to suit the
                Trophy better than the "B" version, but I'm going to stick with
                Avon's listed fitment and see how that goes. If they work even as
                well as my BT020s I'll be happy. Any performance improvement would be
                a bonus.

                Cheers, Gordon.
              • Phillip Koken
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
                  No instability up to 130 or so MPH... I haven't tested them beyond there-
                  They do turn in quickly, and with very little effort though...

                  Phillip Koken
                  http://www.koken.org/
                  Sunnyvale, California

                  AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@...
                  YIM: philkoken ICQ: 456807
                • Gordon
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
                    "Phillip Koken" <phil@k...> wrote:
                    > No instability up to 130 or so MPH... I haven't tested them beyond
                    there - They do turn in quickly, and with very little effort though...
                    > Phillip Koken

                    Phillip,

                    You make the "B" sound very tempting.
                    I've never managed to get my 1200 over 130, but maybe it's me - the
                    magazines say my 600 Fazer should do 140, but running with a Jaguar
                    on an Italian motorway it sat at 130 and it also refused to go
                    higher. Maybe I should start on that diet, and squeeze into some one
                    piece racing leathers........

                    Cheers, Gordon.
                  • Phillip Koken
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
                      They were 'less stable' when new, but I wouldn't call them 'unstable'... As
                      they have worn they are becoming more round.

                      Phillip Koken
                      http://www.koken.org/
                      Sunnyvale, California

                      AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@...
                      YIM: philkoken ICQ: 456807
                    • Steve
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
                        I completely agree with your comments, the Avons inspire a lot more
                        confidence than the BT020's I had previously. AT 3,000 miles the
                        rear looks about half worn so I should get the same or more than the
                        BT's.

                        Steve
                        '97 1200 mBRG 40k