Oil (groan)

  • Ken Hastie
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
      I say groan because most people get bored very quickly with oil discussions, but I cycled
      up to Newcastle 2day for oil/filter. I have always used fully synthetic (Motul) but the lad in
      the shops convinced me semi synthetic is by far the biggest seller for this type of
      application. As it was about ten quid less for 4 lts, I succombed.

      Anyone got any views on chaing from full to semi synth ?

      Ken the Geordie
      (Hard up this month!)
    • jim schisler
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
        Ken, I expiremented with a couple of oils over the years and never noticed a
        difference going to a Semi-Synthetic(Castrol GPS).
        Right now I'm running a sythetic Mobil 10-40 and noticed more difference with
        it, until things broke in. (a couple of false neutrals).
        -jims(always hard up and looking for the perfect oil, cost/performance)
        =====
        On Saturday 02 October 2004 02:37 pm, Ken Hastie wrote:
        > I say groan because most people get bored very quickly with oil
        > discussions, but I cycled up to Newcastle 2day for oil/filter. I have
        > always used fully synthetic (Motul) but the lad in the shops convinced me
        > semi synthetic is by far the biggest seller for this type of application.
        > As it was about ten quid less for 4 lts, I succombed.
        >
        > Anyone got any views on chaing from full to semi synth ?
        >
        > Ken the Geordie
      • Barry Rhodes
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
          My very knowledgeable mechanic says that the Japanese bikes just specify regular old oil,and don't have a significantly higher number of problems relative to Triumph,and they service about ten times more Japanese bikes than Triumphs,and would recognize the patterns if they were there.I wouldn't worry about going to semi-synthetic,but oil is SO much cheaper than engines.
          The Other Barry
          Ken, I expiremented with a couple of oils over the years and never noticed a
          difference going to a Semi-Synthetic(Castrol GPS).
          Right now I'm running a sythetic Mobil 10-40 and noticed more difference with
          it, until things broke in. (a couple of false neutrals).
          -jims(always hard up and looking for the perfect oil, cost/performance)
          =====
          On Saturday 02 October 2004 02:37 pm, Ken Hastie wrote:
          > I say groan because most people get bored very quickly with oil
          > discussions, but I cycled up to Newcastle 2day for oil/filter. I have
          > always used fully synthetic (Motul) but the lad in the shops convinced me
          > semi synthetic is by far the biggest seller for this type of application.
          > As it was about ten quid less for 4 lts, I succombed.
          >
          > Anyone got any views on chaing from full to semi synth ?
          >
          > Ken the Geordie

          Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

          FAQs:

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • malcpowe@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
            Ken, I asked a Triumph mechanic whether to use semi or fully synthetic, he
            suggested that semi synthetic was fine for normal road riding use but he would
            reccomend using fully synthetic for racing applications.

            Malcolm.

          • Ken Hastie
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
              On 3 Oct 2004 at 3:11, malcpowe@... wrote:

              > Ken, I asked a Triumph mechanic whether to use semi or fully
              > synthetic, he suggested that semi synthetic was fine for normal road
              > riding use but he would reccomend using fully synthetic for racing
              > applications.

              Thanks. That's exactly what the guy in the shop said.

              Ken Hastie
              List Owner
            • Gordon
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                ---"Ken Hastie" wrote:
                he would reccomend using fully synthetic for racing applications.

                > Thanks. That's exactly what the guy in the shop said.
                >
                > Ken Hastie

                I use Halford's fully synthetic motorcycle oil. They also do own
                brand car oils, but I use their synthetic car oils for my cars. The
                motorcycle oil meets the spec recommended by Triumph, and in my
                opinion is at least as good as any big name brand semi synthetic.
                As for synthetic being required only for racing, I have taken my
                Trophy two up and overloaded with luggage over mountain passes and
                through major cities with ambient temperatures over 40 deg C. It
                certainly feels at the time as if the engine is being worked as hard
                as if on a track ! I don't skimp on tyres, oil or brakes because I
                like to be able to use them hard.

                Cheers, Gordon.
              • taylorrguk
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@b...> wrote:

                  > ---"Ken Hastie" wrote:
                  > he would reccomend using fully synthetic for racing applications.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks. That's exactly what the guy in the shop said.
                  > >
                  > > Ken Hastie
                  >
                  > I use Halford's fully synthetic motorcycle oil.

                  My philosophy is to always use the best oil I can afford. Some
                  synthetics are a total rip-off, e.g Mobil 1 racing at £32 for 4
                  litres!
                  I use Vauxhall 5W40 - API SJ, which is only ~£14 for 5 litres - call
                  at your local friendly Vauxhall (GM) dealer!
                  (I don't go for the 'motorcycle specific' garbage either - I've never
                  had clutch slip using the above for over 2 years and 5-6 oil changes.)

                  Richard T
                • Barry Rhodes
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                    Never economise on three things:
                    [1] parachutes
                    [2]condoms
                    [3[tires,oil,brakes.
                    he would reccomend using fully synthetic for racing applications.

                    > Thanks. That's exactly what the guy in the shop said.
                    >
                    > Ken Hastie

                    I use Halford's fully synthetic motorcycle oil. They also do own
                    brand car oils, but I use their synthetic car oils for my cars. The
                    motorcycle oil meets the spec recommended by Triumph, and in my
                    opinion is at least as good as any big name brand semi synthetic.
                    As for synthetic being required only for racing, I have taken my
                    Trophy two up and overloaded with luggage over mountain passes and
                    through major cities with ambient temperatures over 40 deg C. It
                    certainly feels at the time as if the engine is being worked as hard
                    as if on a track ! I don't skimp on tyres, oil or brakes because I
                    like to be able to use them hard.

                    Cheers, Gordon.

                    Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

                    FAQs:

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • triumph771
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
                      Ken Hastie" wrote:
                      > > he would reccomend using fully synthetic for racing applications.
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks. That's exactly what the guy in the shop said.

                      I have been using Synthetic in my Trophy after 2,000 miles
                      and have been happy with it, but there are so many riders
                      that use ordinary dino oil and report no problems, so I was
                      thinking - that an important reason for using full synthetic
                      would be to cut wear AND the need to do valve adjustments.
                      Anything to keep me from prying those pesky spacers out
                      would be appreciated.

                      Have any studies been done on this issue?

                      Randy771
                      Triumph Trophy 99
                      SV 650 2002
                    • jim schisler
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 5, 2004
                        Hey, thats 5 items. Are you testing Triumph guys on math? 8^)
                        -----