Riding suit road test

  • Gil C Grimes
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
      Hello,

      I know that this list is always looking for feedback on good gear, so here
      is some for Joe Rocket and a recent road test.

      I had the luxury of testing the Joe Rocket suit (gloves, pant, and jacket)
      seven days ago when I briefly forgot I was riding a bike and remembered in
      the middle of a turn. The short of it was that I exited the two lane road
      on the left side (note that I am in Texas so this is considered bad form).
      I did keep the low side down, and the edge of the asphalt and the subsequent
      rock and dirt were forgiving enough for the softer bits. The suit itself
      does not look like I took a tumble. It performed beyond expectations. I
      received no road rash at all. Additionally neither my knees nor my elbows
      suffered any damage from the impact. I did land hard on the right side, and
      I am sure that if the padding had not been there I may have well done
      serious damage to a hip. As it stands, I fractured the right clavicle
      (collar bone) and the right fibula (outside bone in the lower leg). If I
      had been wearing better boots (i.e. motorcycle boots not cowboy boots) I do
      not think I would have fractured the fibula. I do not think there was
      anyway to prevent the clavicle fracture, I hit it really hard. I have
      discovered in the lat week that I hit my right ribs pretty hard to, but
      again, the padding helped prevent fracture.

      I did have several interesting bruises that are worth noting. I have the
      perfect outline of the shoulder pad on the right shoulder, just the edges of
      the pad, not the whole thing. I have a similar outline on the right knee.

      The HJC helmet provided excellent protection (3/4 helmet with full face
      visor). And the gloves prevented any abrasion, as well there were no
      bruises or really any problems form the hands.

      The trophy on the other hand will need a new right side :-(

      So, the riding suit is still serviceable as a re the gloves, and boots. The
      helmet will get retired, and replaced if I get a new bike.

      Here are the make and model of the gear I road tested.

      Jacket: Joe Rocket 00375 M Ballistic

      Pant: Joe Rocket 0034 Revolution

      Helmet HJC CL-33

      Gloves: Joe Rocket (can�t remember the item number but they have the plastic
      backing over the knuckles)

      Boots: Ariat Ropers (were the wrong boot for the task at hand)

      Hope you all have safe rides, keep the rubber side down.

      Gil C. Grimes

      ---
      Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

      ---

    • Phil Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Gil C Grimes"
        <gilgrimes@y...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >

        > I know that this list is always looking for feedback on good gear,
        so here
        > is some for Joe Rocket and a recent road test.
        >

        > I had the luxury of testing the Joe Rocket suit (gloves, pant, and
        jacket)
        > seven days ago when I briefly forgot I was riding a bike and
        remembered in
        > the middle of a turn. The short of it was that I exited the two
        lane road
        > on the left side (note that I am in Texas so this is considered
        bad form).
        > I did keep the low side down, and the edge of the asphalt and the
        subsequent
        > rock and dirt were forgiving enough for the softer bits. The suit
        itself
        > does not look like I took a tumble. It performed beyond
        expectations. I
        > received no road rash at all. Additionally neither my knees nor
        my elbows
        > suffered any damage from the impact. I did land hard on the right
        side, and
        > I am sure that if the padding had not been there I may have well
        done
        > serious damage to a hip. As it stands, I fractured the right
        clavicle
        > (collar bone) and the right fibula (outside bone in the lower
        leg). If I
        > had been wearing better boots (i.e. motorcycle boots not cowboy
        boots) I do
        > not think I would have fractured the fibula. I do not think there
        was
        > anyway to prevent the clavicle fracture, I hit it really hard. I
        have
        > discovered in the lat week that I hit my right ribs pretty hard
        to, but
        > again, the padding helped prevent fracture.
        >

        > I did have several interesting bruises that are worth noting. I
        have the
        > perfect outline of the shoulder pad on the right shoulder, just
        the edges of
        > the pad, not the whole thing. I have a similar outline on the
        right knee.

        > The HJC helmet provided excellent protection (3/4 helmet with full
        face
        > visor). And the gloves prevented any abrasion, as well there
        were no
        > bruises or really any problems form the hands.
        >

        > The trophy on the other hand will need a new right side :-(

        Sorry to hear about the right side.
        My local dealer told me the right side fairing is backordered to
        Georgia and won't be in until 15 OCT.

        Sympathies and glad you are OK>

        Phil
      • Phil Smith