front tire feathering wearing funny

  • papajimmm
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
      I have noticed that there is a slight shake at some speeds if you
      are not really holding the handlebars(apx45-65mph) haven't narrowed
      it to a certain speed. also front tire is wearing funny hard to
      explain but sort of feathering/cupping type tire is less than a year
      old. Bike was in knock over accident(parked and car backed into it
      but dealer ets looked at it and was only cosmetic damage.??
      Alignment off?? possible bent fork tube?? any suggestions??
    • Phillip Koken
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
        Are you using Bridgestone tires? Do you get the headshake around 45mph and
        on deceleration?

        If so, buy Avons and it will dissapear :) It's not a bent fork tube or
        frame, it's your TIRES!

        < From a former BT020 rider, who will never go back >

        Phillip Koken
        http://www.koken.org/
        Sunnyvale, California

        AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@...
        YM: philkoken ICQ: 456807
      • Phillip Koken
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
          Also, cannot forget the obvious... Check your tire pressures! 36 front and
          42 rear is a good place to start-

          Phillip Koken
          http://www.koken.org/
          Sunnyvale, California

          AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@...
          YM: philkoken ICQ: 456807
        • BRIAN EASTON
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
            At 14:29 01/10/04, you wrote:
            >I have noticed that there is a slight shake at some speeds if you
            >are not really holding the handlebars(apx45-65mph) any suggestions??
            >
            >My pal observed this on his BBBB, turned out he had about 2mm play in his
            >rear shock bearings - fixed with a new bush.

            Try greasing first.

            Had the same on mine but it was a worn chain with a tightspot.

            HTH
            But it might just be you worn tyre!

            BOAT Merlot BBBB Scotland
          • papajimmm
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
              They are relativesly new and tire pressure was a tad low but not
              by more than 2 lbs. But brand od tire wouldn't explain uneven tire
              wear.??
            • papajimmm
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
                How do I check rear shock bearings; tried to shake tire while on
                centerstand but no real movement, and any certain grease?/ ; tires
                are relatively new less than 1000 miles on front and less on rear
                both bridgestone??

                > >My pal observed this on his BBBB, turned out he had about 2mm
                play in his
                > >rear shock bearings - fixed with a new bush.
                > Try greasing first.
                > Had the same on mine but it was a worn chain with a tightspot.
                > But it might just be you worn tyre!
                >
                > BOAT Merlot BBBB Scotland
              • Phillip Koken
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
                  I place my bet on the Bridgestones... Buy some Avon Azaros (I like the
                  Av45/46B) and the tires will wear evenly.... From someone who had headshake,
                  tire cupping (scalloping) and poor handling (compared to Avons).

                  Phillip Koken
                  http://www.koken.org/
                  Sunnyvale, California

                  AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@...
                  YIM: philkoken ICQ: 456807
                • Phillip Koken
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
                    I use High Moly - High Pressure bearing grease from Mobil called "Centaur
                    Moly", I used this on my boat engine mount and it held up better than
                    ANYTHING I have ever used before, AND it's very high Moly content...

                    Phillip Koken
                    http://www.koken.org/
                    Sunnyvale, California

                    AIM: philkoken MSN: phil@...
                    YIM: philkoken ICQ: 456807
                  • BRIAN EASTON
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
                      At 16:28 01/10/04, you wrote:
                      > How do I check rear shock bearings;
                      What we did was, as you have, the bike on centre stand with block of wood
                      under it, a second pair of hands to push front down so as back is raised.
                      Take hold of each side of the swinging arm and try to push wheel upward.

                      He had, and it could be easily seen, the play in the swing arm before the
                      shock was depressed.

                      Grease we use is blue synthetic grease - sorry don't know the type but I
                      can find out if you want. Just use what is specified in the book. I think
                      there are four grease nipples if my memory is correct.

                      HTH

                      BOAT MERLOT BBBB Scotland.
                    • Tom
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
                        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "papajimmm" <james.nash1@w...>
                        wrote:
                        > I have noticed that there is a slight shake at some speeds if you
                        > are not really holding the handlebars(apx45-65mph) haven't
                        narrowed
                        > it to a certain speed. also front tire is wearing funny hard to
                        > explain but sort of feathering/cupping type tire is less than a
                        year
                        > old. Bike was in knock over accident(parked and car backed into it
                        > but dealer ets looked at it and was only cosmetic damage.??
                        > Alignment off?? possible bent fork tube?? any suggestions??

                        James,
                        Be sure to adjust the steering head bearings, it seem as
                        though they are either not tight enough from the factory on a good
                        number of machines or, the bearings settle in after a few thousand
                        miles of twisty turnies!!!!
                        Tom D.
                      • Phil Smith
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 2, 2004
                          wrote:
                          > They are relativesly new and tire pressure was a tad low but not
                          > by more than 2 lbs. But brand od tire wouldn't explain uneven tire
                          > wear.??

                          The Sport tour bikes do have a tendency to get feather cupping wear
                          by reportsd from my Triumph dealer the Bridgestone tire web site and
                          many other reports.

                          This forum exhausted the subject a few months ago with reports from
                          lots of experts.
                          I had a similar shake and it went away with a new tire.
                          I'm running bridgestone 020's and they are fine but I don't live on
                          the edge.

                          I've heard raves about the avons and will replce next set with
                          azaros.

                          Phil Koken and Ken have lots of research and use reports.

                          Change the front. The reports say that you should keep the set
                          matched. ie Don't mix brands and model of tire.

                          phil