Trophy Sprocket Combinations

  • Rudy Wheeler
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
      zman wrote:
      <A while back a thread on sprocket combinations listed both odd or
      both even toothed drive and driven as the preferred set IE 19/43,
      18/40 rather than mixing even and odd. Is there any known rationale
      for the rule.>

      Never heard of that rule. I'm currently running 18/43 on my 900 with no ill
      effects. An unexpected "bonus" is the needles on the tach & speedo are
      parallel in top gear. No real functional benefit, I just think it's kind of
      cool.

      Here's a link to a good ratio table:
      http://www.renthal.com/site/resources/ratios.htm

      Rudy Wheeler
      President, British Biker Cooperative
    • Jamie Town
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
        At 03:33 PM 09/02/04 -0500, you wrote:
        >Never heard of that rule. I'm currently running 18/43 on my 900 with no ill
        >effects. An unexpected "bonus" is the needles on the tach & speedo are
        >parallel in top gear. No real functional benefit, I just think it's kind of
        >cool.

        My 2k 1200 shipped with 19/40 and now has 19/39. Nothing exploded with
        either combo.

        Jamie
      • whitesrus@lsol.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2004
          ----- Original Message ----- From: Rudy Wheeler [mailto:rwheeler1@...] Sent:
          9/2/2004 4:33:59 PM To: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com Subject: [TriumphTrophy] Trophy
          Sprocket Combinations

          Many thanks to Rudy,Adrian and Jamie for the information on gear ratios and sprocket
          combinations. The Renthal ratio chart was especially helpful. If any of you folks
          have a steel (vs alloy) 39 Tooth Rear Sprocket source for a 96 Trophy...would appreciate
          the info...

          zman

          96 Trophy BBB

          94 Ural Tourist

          82 KZ1300

          82 GL 500 I

          65 Benley Touring

          65 Trail 90

          Here's a link to a good ratio table:

          [http://www.renthal.com/site/resources/ratios.htm%5dhttp://www.renthal.com/site/resources/ratios.htm

          Rudy Wheeler

          President, British Biker Cooperative

          Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations &comments are solely
          &strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information
          is solely at the risk &discretion of the reader!

          FAQs:

          href=" [http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDVOP5EPHnljXq-9iPCgjGwUdHUKzLwAMeBqkZ_PyLZhp2iPfOi177Vmc8AvZ9UippkWqnCAy9FpHH6L/ALL_FAQ/FAQ.html%5d
          http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDVOP5EPHnljXq-9iPCgjGwUdHUKzLwAMeBqkZ_PyLZhp2iPfOi177Vmc8AvZ9UippkWqnCAy9FpHH6L/ALL_FAQ/FAQ.html
          "> color="#FF0000" size="3"> FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions),

          click here.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          [http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1292h1u9d/M=296572.5305651.6444487.3001176/D=groups/S=1705126259:HM/EXP=1094243642/A=2195326/R=2/SIG=12i7id3ph/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon00700677von/direct/01/&time=1094157242741516%5d

          Terms of Service .

        • Ian Wells
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 2004
            Somewhere in the deep (and very dangerous) recesses of my mind I seem to
            recall an article in a very old motorcycle magazine / paper on this very
            subject.

            The recommendation was to have combinations of teeth on the sprockets that
            were not divisible into each other. The reason given for this was that this
            would give uneven wear on the sprockets as wear on the front socket would
            always transmit to the same places on the rear sprocket. I think the article
            was talking about large British singles and the chain being given a large
            kick on each firing. Non-divisible sprockets would put any wear evenly
            across the rear sprocket.

            Does this ring any bells to anyone else?

            Regards

            Ian Wells
            �98 900 BRG

            * At 03:33 PM 09/02/04 -0500, you wrote:
            >Never heard of that rule. I'm currently running 18/43 on my 900 with no ill
            >effects. An unexpected "bonus" is the needles on the tach & speedo are
            >parallel in top gear. No real functional benefit, I just think it's kind of
            >cool.

            ---

          • Steve Warren
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2004
              From: "Ian Wells" <iwells400h@...>

              Somewhere in the deep (and very dangerous) recesses of my mind I seem to
              recall an article in a very old motorcycle magazine / paper on this very
              subject.

              The recommendation was to have combinations of teeth on the sprockets that
              were not divisible into each other. The reason given for this was that this
              would give uneven wear on the sprockets as wear on the front socket would
              always transmit to the same places on the rear sprocket. I think the article
              was talking about large British singles and the chain being given a large
              kick on each firing. Non-divisible sprockets would put any wear evenly
              across the rear sprocket.

              Does this ring any bells to anyone else?
              -

              Over on the DL650 (VStrom) list there was a thread recently about this.
              After someone changed their front sprocket from the stock 15 tooth to 16 a
              mathematical proof was posted showing that would cause the same teeth on the
              rear sprocket to contact the same link roller every revolution of the chain.
              That was supposed to cause rapid wear. After much discussion, including
              people that had made the change to 16 tooth thousands of miles ago with no
              discernable problem, we got back to the important topics like what kind of
              oil to use, do loud pipes save lives, does counter steering work, etc...

              Steve Warren Lawrenceville GA
              http://home.comcast.net/~stephen.warren1
              2004 VStrom 650
              1997 Trophy 900
            • Neil Christie
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 6, 2004
                I remember that, too. But, I've never done the math / simulation to see
                if I aggree - clearly, gears driving one another would be that way - but
                I don't koe whether the chani number of links would also enter into it
                in our example.

                But if one follows the advice of the article, a 15:45 combination would
                be bad, as would a 16:48. So avoid them.

                Neil