Re: Running poorly much much better - perhaps its...

  • John Ansell
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "classicflh" <classicflh@y...>
      wrote:

      > [blew through vacuum line]
      >
      > Below each nipple, I could see that the air was leaking out between
      > the carb cover and carb top.

      Hi Giles,

      Gotta say, I almost don't want you to fix it - I'm really enjoying
      your commentary!

      I wonder if you might need to slow down on the Bushmills for a while
      though...

      The vacuum comes from the engine when it's running. It's not a true
      vacuum, it's more a negative pressure ie lower than atmosphere.
      The vacuum is ported inside the carb to the top of the diaphragm to
      lift the piston and needle. The carb cover seals the diaphragm and
      also allows the vacuum to be taken to the petcock. If there is a leak
      around there it'll do you no good at all. There really should not be
      any air leaking out when you blow down the tube. You will get a hiss
      as the air goes through the passageways into the venturi but you
      shouldn't feel it around the carb cover.

      It might be worth checking the covers are all tight though that's
      easier said than done. The diaphragm has a beaded edge (like an
      O-ring) which forms the seal between the cover and body, there's no
      gasket.

      If you're taking the carbs out again I'd check the diaphragms
      carefully for any holes.

      HTH
      Cheers
      John
    • taylorrguk
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
        wrote:
        > Ok, again thanks everyone for the suggestions, they're helping my
        > current state of mind. I checked for filters by the tees and found
        > the previous owner must have removed them. All lines look clean.

        Check again - they are invisible from the outside! You have to pull
        the vertical hoses off the T pieces to get at them.

        > Below each nipple, I could see that the air was leaking out between
        > the carb cover and carb top. I don't see in the manual where
        > there's a gasket between them - thought there'd be one. Is it
        > normal that air would leak there?

        No, it isn't! The carb top is sealed to the body by the rim of the
        rubber diaphragm, but there should also be a very small 'O'ring to
        seal the vacuum port. If these have been left out at sometime, you've
        found your problem! Don't use liquid sealant here though - too much
        risk of it ausing blockages.

        Richard T.
      • classicflh
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
          Bingo Richard T. Carb cover O'rings. Page 9.21 of the Triumph
          Inspektionshandbuch. List Item #3.

          I pulled the carb tops and found that there isn't a little O'ring at
          the vacuum ports. The picture in the manual doesn't do the O'ring
          justice. Looks like its for a screw or spring as they don't show
          the vent port on the cap. I should have noticed that too.

          Son of a bitch. This is pure mechanic error. It could have been
          either one of those lousy shops that neglected to put them back in.

          This would be so cool if it fixes the latest problem. I had the
          goddamnmotherfucinglets_stopanytime problem - which I do think was
          related to the coils and is fixed now (replaced with Nology coils
          and wires) and I believe now that the fire is there, its trying to
          pull harder and finding alot of air (via no vacuum to negatively
          effect the diaphram so it can lift the needle value to get more
          gas). I laid off the Bushmills tonight you might notice.

          Oh... this should be easy to fix - not with the red or blue locktite
          like I was thinking earlier while I was primed. I should be able to
          find an O'ring like that around town, or even make one with a good
          rubberband supply.

          Question I've forming in my mind though is why would it have run
          even better than it does now when it had the bad coil problem?
          Could be the weak spark was just right for the weak fuel and air
          mix? Hell, I better worry about that after I put some o'rings in.
          Thinking like that leads me to the Irish nectar. Which isn't all
          that bad I guess cuz I wouldn't have thought about blowing on those
          nipple things if I'd been in a sober state of mind...

          Thanks everyone, I couldn't have gotten this far without your
          suport. Wouldn't have done it without it.

          I'll let you know how it turns out.

          Giles

          98 Plat bbbb

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "taylorrguk" <rgtay@t...>

          Richard wrote:

          > No, it isn't! The carb top is sealed to the body by the rim of the
          > rubber diaphragm, but there should also be a very small 'O'ring to
          > seal the vacuum port. If these have been left out at sometime,
          you've
          > found your problem! Don't use liquid sealant here though - too
          much
          > risk of it ausing blockages.
          >
          > Richard T.
        • eMarc
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2004
            wrote:
            > Bingo Richard T. Carb cover O'rings. Page 9.21 of the Triumph
            > Inspektionshandbuch. List Item #3.

            ~~just a thought;
            looking for air leaks around carbs - i find spraying a little WD40
            around the "suspect" area can find an air leak for you.
            the WD40 finds its way in - and tries to ignite!
            so, if with engine running - you spray round the carbs / and the
            revs rise / you've found the leak!
            HTH
            eM.
            (STILL studying like a loon - for this RoSPA exam *Wry grin* -
            Thanks to those sending the encouraging eMails - i WILL get round to
            replying, honestly!)