Lowering the Bike/Extending the bars

  • hal.copeland@bigfoot.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2000
      Hello all,

      I am a new Trophy rider (2000 Platinum Silver Trophy 1200) and was
      hoping you could help me with a few small items.

      Being a rather short guy (5' 7" or 170 cm for you Brits),
      I'm finding the seat slightly too high for my liking.
      I also would prefer the bars to be a bit further back, not
      raised, ala GenMar risers, but pulled back to accommodate for my
      short arms. I prefer an upright riding position rather than
      leaning forward. I'm also considering a taller windscreen.

      I saw the instructions in the files for lowering a Trophy
      about 40 mm, and will probably be attempting that sometime in
      the spring. However, I was wondering if there were some
      aftermarket bolt-ons with which I could achieve the same
      effect, such as a shorter seat or an aftermarket shock.

      Also, does anyone have any ideas for extending the bars back
      toward the seat so I'm not quite so hunched over?

      Any help would be appreciated.

      TIA,
      Hal Copeland
      Atlanta, Georgia
      USA

      Hal.Copeland@...
    • Sachs, Mike
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2000

        Hal, I think you'll find lowering the bike with the chain adjusters easier
        than it sounds. And it's nearly free. If you really want the bars brought
        back, your best bet may be converting to tubular bars. Expect to change some
        cables or hoses.

        Glad to hear from another rider in Atlanta!
        Mike Sachs
        Decatur, GA
        The roses weren't in bloom, so we hauled ass.
      • Ken Hastie
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2000
          On 5 Dec 00 at 15:58, hal.copeland@... wrote:

          > Being a rather short guy (5' 7" or 170 cm for you Brits),

          Please ! We are British and use feet and inches just as you guys.
          Mainland Europeans may use the metric system to describe one's
          height, but not we Brits ! (Although we have to use it for most
          other things. One of the funniest I think, is when I went to buy a
          piece of 2x1 (inches) timber. I was told I had to have 48 by 23 mm
          or something similar as it was now sold in metric sizes.
          OK, I said, I'll have some. How much is it?
          "27 pence per foot !" was the reply.....

          I ask you....

          Ken the Geordie
        • Peter Liberman
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2000
            Hi Hal,

            I'm 5'8" tall and got the same experience when I started riding the
            Trophy full time. I lowered the cycle using the directions found here
            and I put GenMars on the bars as well. Lowering the bike is not as
            difficult as it may seem. I'm not a mechanic, I'm a computer geek and
            was able to get it right, so dont let it bother you. As for the
            GenMars, they also push you back some (they tell you about 1 1/4")
            and this seems right. For me it was a much more comfortable ride. I
            was riding 40 miles to work each day, each way. The GenMars also
            relieved some of the strain on my upper spine. Very good for me as I
            have had several injuries to my spine and this bike was prooving out
            to be very uncomfortable on any ride over twenty minutes. Put a new
            D205 on the front and will do the rear after I get my suprise new
            tire for christmas.

            Ride Safe,

            Peter

          • JSteg34279@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 6, 2000
              Hal - I'm 5'7" riding a '97 Trophy 900. I've purchased a Corbin seat that is
              about 1-1/2" lower than stock and lowered the bike by rotating the rear axel
              adjuster and sliding the forks up into the triple tree. I've used the GenMar
              spacers to position the bars in a raised position. The GenMar spacers were
              just the right height.

              The bike handles much better, I'm able to flat foot at stop signs and I'm not
              leaning so far forward. It has been a worthwhile change and I recommend it
              to those of us who are somewhat vertically challenged.

              In retrospect, I would not buy the Corbin seat. I live near Seattle, WA.
              which has at least one shop that specializes in custom motorcycle seats. I
              didn''t know about the shop when I purchased the Corbin or would have gone to
              Seattle. The problem, IMO, with the Corbin is that it is produced a long way
              away - they can't fit it to you. I'd look for a local seat shop if I were
              doing it again. In fact, I'm considering having a new seat made in Seattle -
              even though I've invested a great deal of money in the Corbin.

              After lowering your bike be careful about bottoming out. You should consider
              higher rate fork springs - I'm looking at some from Race Tech - and at the
              very least, setting your rear shock preload fairly high.

              Good luck and safe riding
              Jack