Air Filter

  • jhooyen@dingoblue.net.au
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2000
      G'day.
      I know this group is for Trophy owners and i have a Daytona which is
      nearly the same in regard to servicing.
      Regarding air filter maintenance.Why has Triumph made it so difficult
      to get at the air filter.Having just bought my 95 Daytona and wanting
      to do my own servicing it has taken me 2 hours to clean and re-oil
      the filter.Having to take the carbs off and the
      intakes ,battery,coils and half the fairing is crazy.
      If there is an easier way to do this? besides taking it to a dealer
      or not doing it at all.
      Cheers
      Joe
    • Ed Walden
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4, 2003
        Hey Ken, the K&N filter changes to TB9091 after 1999. You might want to add that to the FAQ. The oil filter is KN 192 and KN 401. Ed

      • kentcorrespondent10
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28 10:10 AM
          OK I'll admit it, I'm tighter than a Crab's Chuff at 50,000 fathoms.
          But COME ON here! £46 for an air filter for my 1996 1200 Trophy, is I
          think taking the P***.

          OR am I just used to my BSA's, and I should get in the real World, cos
          that's how much Air Filters are? I don't know, the last 'Modern' bike
          I had was a 1984 BMW K100RT and the air filter on that was next to
          imposible to change, so I left it for the next owner to do.

          So good people, is nearly $100 the correct ammount, is there a cheaper
          version available, or should I bite the bullet and waste good Beer
          money on a Gen-U-wine Triumph rip off part?

          Oh nearly forgot, how easy/difficult is it to change the filter?
        • pjuddfan
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 28 10:23 AM
            Kent-

            It does seem ridiculous, they make you replace the whole airbox just
            to change the filter. If you troll the Files section of the group
            you can find some modifications some members have made to keep your
            airbox and just replace the filter with an aftermarket piece. One of
            them involves splitting the box into left and right halves. I may
            try that one myself, as mine is about due for a change.

            Jim in NH

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "kentcorrespondent10"
            <kentcorrespondent10@...> wrote:

            > OK I'll admit it, I'm tighter than a Crab's Chuff at 50,000
            fathoms.
            > But COME ON here! £46 for an air filter for my 1996 1200 Trophy,
            is I
            > think taking the P***.
            >
            > OR am I just used to my BSA's, and I should get in the real World,
            cos
            > that's how much Air Filters are? I don't know, the last 'Modern'
            bike
            > I had was a 1984 BMW K100RT and the air filter on that was next to
            > imposible to change, so I left it for the next owner to do.
            >
            > So good people, is nearly $100 the correct ammount, is there a
            cheaper
            > version available, or should I bite the bullet and waste good Beer
            > money on a Gen-U-wine Triumph rip off part?
            >
            > Oh nearly forgot, how easy/difficult is it to change the filter?

          • philipwallington
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 28 11:34 AM
              Hey - here's a man after my own heart - and yeah, it IS expensive!!

              I'm not sure if my filter is stock or aftermarket, but once I had the
              little sucker out I found it has a wire gauze outer and a foam inner.
              Now, if it was a paper element you have little choice but to replace
              it. But - and here comes the sacrilege that will get some of you
              reaching for your keyboards - imho a foam filter can be washed and
              oiled to clear out the crap and rejuvenate it. It may prove to be my
              undoing in the long run - but - so far so good.

              As for how to get at it - oh thank you Triumph for proving once more
              that even the simplest task can be made so much more complicated if
              you really try. First, remove the tank and the carbs - yes, you heard
              right! Once they are out you can extract the airbox from its wrap-
              around-the-frame position. Before you refit the box, refer to the
              files section for the 'split the rear half of the airbox' fix.
              Basically, splitting the rear section of the box in two allows you to
              refit it after replacing the carbs - and then to remove the airbox
              next time without disturbing the carbs at all - both much. Personally
              I split the section on an angled line to prevent having to fight with
              a screw on the bottom edge directly in line with the frame. I
              finished off with a thin bead of black silicone sealant between the
              two parts which pulls apart easily next time you have to go in there.

              Phew - sorry for the ramble - good luck, whichever way you decide to
              go

              Philip
            • Martin
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 28 12:24 PM
                The other option is to buy a re-usable filter, I have K&N in mine.
                Simple blow through with air, and re-oil each time.

                Changing the air filter is a surprisingly large pain in the rear on
                our bikes. As has already been mentioned, search the archives for
                cutting the airbox lid in two - makes a vast difference.

                Martin.
                03 1200 in Graphite, 32 miles
                Bath, England
              • jim.miles96
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 28 2:00 PM
                  I'm going to do the airbox mod at some point. So please keep us posted
                  if you decide to split the airbox. Right now I just have too much in
                  progress with this bike to start anything else!

                  Jim
                  2003 Trophy 1200
                  Collierville, TN
                • kevin.harrington@ymail.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 28 2:46 PM
                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "jim.miles96" <jmiles8@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I'm going to do the airbox mod at some point. So please keep us
                    posted
                    > if you decide to split the airbox. Right now I just have too much in
                    > progress with this bike to start anything else!
                    >
                    > Jim
                    > 2003 Trophy 1200
                    > Collierville, TN

                    I,m in the process of renewing the airbox on my Trophy 900, and intend
                    to cut the cover, following the link in this forum. However, when I
                    tried to unscrew the four larger screws on the cover, three of them
                    just turned and wouldn't loosen. Therefore, I had to drill the heads
                    off them, which took ages as they were spinning with the drill bit.
                    The screws engage with brass inserts, which are held in plastic lugs
                    (part of the main airbox cover). However the inserts have very small
                    splines on them, and being brass they grip tight onto the screws, as a
                    result the inserts loosen easily and start turning in the lugs (nice
                    one Triumph)! I wonder whether anybody has found a better way of
                    removing these screws?
                  • Greg Andrews
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 28 6:05 PM
                      Hi Kevin, Don't let the heads spin too much or it will melt the
                      plastic. I think the brass inserts are such a problem, it's the reason
                      Triumph replaces the whole air box when changing out the air filter. I
                      got rid of the brass inserts and now us long machine screws to go all
                      the way through the air box. A K&N filter is about $45 in the states.
                      At least it is cleanable and reuseable.
                      Greg Andrews
                      '96 900 BRG

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
                        THANKS GUYS, well after a considerable think, I'm going to have to
                        miss a few Ales, and use the money on a K&N Filter! Found one on
                        t'internet for £13 LESS that the Triumph Gen-U-wine one, so I'm now
                        waiting for it to show up. Before fitting, I'll use that time to find
                        some new swear words, cos I think I'll NEED them!

                        Why is such a silly job so darn hard? I guess this is just another way
                        of 'Them' lot getting hold of your hard earned, we'll they'll have to
                        get up pretty early to catch me.

                        Once that filter is in, that's the bike ready for my tour of North
                        West France, then over to Belgium for the BSAOC Belgium's lot, John
                        Bull Rally. Hope I can afford the beer there after this expenditure?
                        T'is hard time in which we live I tells ya...
                      • Ken Hastie
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009

                          Hey, Shaun. Believe me, I came back penniless from Holland at New Year.

                          Euro 0.98 to the Pound ! 8:(

                          Ken the Geordie SST 13
                          BSA A75R, A10, B40, D10, Triumph Trophy 1200
                        • kentcorrespondent10
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
                            Ken lad, you're forgetting I work in France every other week, so I
                            KNOW how bad the Euro Pound thing is! BLIMEY I had a few beers and a
                            meal and came back skint, I'm off to New Zealand for the BSA rally
                            next year, HOPE their money is at a good exchange rate?

                            Then I'm riding a Norton in America next May, so yet another bad rate
                            to contend with. Still it's only money lad, plenty more where that
                            came from... Ha ha I WISH!!!