Clock not working

  • Darryl Flynn
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2 6:08 AM
      Hi,
      i have recently bought a 1999 1200 Trophy in Platinum. I am
      delighted with the bike however i have noticed that the clock is
      faulty. Sometimes it will work for a few minutes and then stop. Also
      the adjuster buttons for it work sometimes then not!!.
      I know in the FAQs that the clock is mentioned as troublesome. Has
      anyone come up with a repair or easy fix or is the clock US and
      needs replacing. I really hope i can fix it. I have had it out and
      cannot see anything obviously amiss.
      Thanks Darryl
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2 5:01 PM
        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl Flynn" <darryl@n...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        > i have recently bought a 1999 1200 Trophy in Platinum. I am
        > delighted with the bike however i have noticed that the clock is
        > faulty.
        >I really hope i can fix it. I have had it out and
        > cannot see anything obviously amiss.
        > Thanks Darryl

        Darryl,
        I think a Religious ceremony is about all that will help the
        clock. It seems as though you either have a good one, or one that
        needs to go in the trash!!! I have a warranty unit, and it has work
        very good (slightly fast) for the last 4 years.
        Tom D.
      • trumpettriple
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3 3:47 AM
          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl Flynn" <darryl@n...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          > i have noticed that the clock is
          > faulty. Sometimes it will work for a few minutes and then stop. Also
          > the adjuster buttons for it work sometimes then not!!.
          > I know in the FAQs that the clock is mentioned as troublesome. Has
          > anyone come up with a repair or easy fix or is the clock US and
          > needs replacing. I really hope i can fix it.
          > Thanks Darryl

          Darryl: this has come up a few times. Thanks to Yahoo's clear out, we have
          lost our archive, so you can't search out the solution. I may be mistaken, but
          something about a dodgy earth rings a bell....

          I'd stick a cheap Rat Shack clock/watch to the Trophy's clock glass until you
          have a bigger reason to take all the plastic off to get to the clock's wiring......

          Then, when the fairings come off, I'd tap into the clock's earth wire, and give a
          sound earth (ground) and see if that works.

          Anyone remember differently?

          Brian
        • waleao@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3 4:46 AM
            Yes, check the ground under the seat and also your battery. I would have
            answered sooner but I forgot about the archive not being there. I also thought it
            was diagnosed in the FAQ's but that may not be the case. Make sure all of
            your grounds to the bike chasis are tight and make sure your battery is good and
            that should fix your clock problem. According to the other members it
            supposed to be one of the signs that your battery is on the last leg. ED

          • rcsands@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3 6:25 AM
              Mine went erratic about 2-3 years ago. When I was doing some maintenance that
              required the fairings to come off, I removed the clock adn cleaned the clock
              terminals and wiring loom connectors with a fingernail file. I then coated them
              with a no-ox grease. That worked perfectly for a long time.

              It just recently started acted up as temps changed. Though it is working at the
              moment, the next time the fairing comes off, I'll go at it again.

              Ron
              Ron Sands rcsands@...
              Royal RAT Pack www.royalratpack.com
              '02 T100, '96 Trophy 900, '04 XL 883
              '69 T120R, '67 T120R
              "Never ride faster than your angel can fly!"
            • Jamie Town
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3 9:51 AM
                At 01:08 PM 05/02/04 +0000, you wrote:
                >I have had it out and
                >cannot see anything obviously amiss.

                That's because it's functioning normally. ;)

                Mine was like that when I bought the bike. Now it's been in the same spot
                for about a year. Not a twitch. Contacts are clean, the "ground fix" has
                been applied, battery is good. Some have noted that the clock magically
                starts working again when they replace the battery. Doesn't make sense
                because the battery would have nothing to do with it once the engine's
                running. Some just clean the contacts and it works. Some replace the
                clock with a temperature gauge from the Tiger.

                Jamie
              • David
                Message 7 of 8 , May 3 3:33 PM
                  As for the clock not working and the battery being on it's last leg, my
                  clock has not worked for three years and the battery hasn't missed a beat.
                  Dave in IL 99 900

                • jim schisler
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 3 6:30 PM
                    I think its contact problems. When I got my '99 it was intermittent. When I took the nose piece off for some maintenance I cleaned and retightened the wiring and it worked perfect through to the end of last year and now is gone off again. I'll be replacing it with a late 70's 'nos' stewart warner clock- if I can find it. -jims