Helmets

  • Michael Hurst
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 1999
      I have a full face HTC which seems to create its own turbulence noise
      compared to my silent open face Arai Classic. The Arai is very high quality
      construction but for the winter in particular I want the full-face without
      the noise but with the bare skin protection from the cold, the at-rest
      ventilation and ease of communication that comes from an open-face helmet.
      My alternatives appear to be the new Shoei Synchrotec, the Nolan, and the
      possibly the new flip shield Arai CZ/A (that might not be the right model
      code). The Synchrotec and Nolan are full face with the chin and shield
      being rotatable like a flip-shield.
      I recently read that these helmets are subject to exactly the same tests to
      acquire DOT and Snell Foundation approvals, so that element of concern seems
      resolved.

      Does anyone have any experience, first- or second-hand, on these three
      helmets compared to my criteria? Thanks.

      Michael
    • DombroweRJ@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 1999
        In a message dated 11/7/99 1:18:24 PM Central Standard Time,
        MWHURST@... writes:

        <<
[...]

        Hello Michael,
        Regarding your questions about the helmets. I am about to purchase a Shoei
        Synchrotec. My last helmet was a Arai Quantum/E replica which was the
        quietest full face helmet I had ever owned until it was stolen (that's
        another story). If I was going to buy another full face this would be my
        choice. My backup is a Shoei RJ101V open face which I am currently wearing.
        It has an aftermarket front flip up shield which I like for several reasons
        including talking to people without taking it off, going in the quick stop
        convenience stores to buy and eat candy bars etc. and ability to flip up
        while in motion. Our local accessory store had both the Nolan and Synchrotec
        in stock in my size (XL). The Nolan is very cumbersome because it has two
        clasps that must be depressed at the same time to get it open. I could never
        get it right. It also didn't fit well for my head size. The Synchrotec has
        one clasp to depress. It was relative easy to flip up. The front flip up
        part is very close to my mouth, but that is ok with me and it fit well,
        similar to the RJ101V. I had speakers in my Quantum/e but this may be an
        issue if you also have an intercom mike as well since it resides in the front
        flip up part. I plan to have at least speakers in the Synchrotec. I am
        unfamiliar with the Arai flip shield but would be interested in hearing more.
        To me the issue is why buy a full face rather than an open face. Noise and
        protection are the issues for me. I am about to order a new windshield for
        my 99 Trophy and ask for the 'Hurst' special. I believe this will address
        most of the noise issue. I can then hear music in my helmet. I also like
        the idea of something in front of my face, again this is personal preference.
        Hope this helps and I look for hear from others. Does anyone have
        experience with the Arai Classic which I believe is their open face helmet?
        Bob Dombrowe

        Yes, Bob, I have the Arai Classic open face helmet and as I noted it is very quiet behind the modified windshield, more so than the HFC full face. I put speakers in my Classic and just a portable FM radio in my jacket pocket to occasionally listen to football games, etc. No problem at all. Tried it with the HFC and it was drowned out. I love the Arai Classic. I use it with a clear flat shield, not a flip up. The flip up gives less protection from cold air. My issue up here in NH is the cold weather and a full face definitely provides better protection from the wind chill effects on skin. With my jackets built in neck scarf, I have no exposed skin with a full face which is what I need to avoid frost bite or cold burn. So the Synchrotec appeared like a very good compromise to meet my needs and you appear to confirm that. Thanks.

        Michael
      • RDHG1246@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 1999
          I currently own a Nolan N100 and am happy with it. It's true that it takes
          two hands to unlock but is simple to me once I got the hang of it. Prior to
          the Nolan I had a Bieffee flip front which only required one hand to operate.
          There was a certain amount of convenience with it but I also found that it
          didn't lock as securely. I tried the Shoei on but for me the fit wasn't as
          comfortable and didn't see where it was worth the extra dollars. The Nolan
          has removeable nose and chin storm flaps that help along with a anti fog
          insert for the face shield that works fairly well. Tried the anti fog insert
          this morning with temps in the 30's and had no problems with fogging up.
          Prior to installing ti fogging was a problem at speeds under 50 whichj meant
          keeping face sheild cracked and letting in cold air. If anyone wants to try
          the Nolan you can order it from Dennis Kirk for the best price I found $194
          nad if you don't like the fit or operation it can be returned and will only
          be out the shipping. I believe they have the shoei also but didn't check. Web
          site is www.denniskirk.com. Two months and 10 days on my Trophy and loving
          it. 3499 miles and counting.
          Mike Birdwell
        • Nick
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 12, 1999
            I bought a VEMAR flip-up helmet at the Motorcycle show, and rode 150 miles
            back in cold, high winds, and found it brilliant. �135.00.

            Nick
            (UK)------------------ ONElist Sponsor ----------------------------
          • Beardg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
              In a message dated 11/7/2001 6:01:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com writes:

              <<
              I was waiting for someone else to bring up the subject of helmets. I need to
              replace mine because it is old. So, what is good, what does everyone wear?

              Bud Izen
              '99 Platinum 900 >>
              Beardg>>Choice of brand seems to depend on what shape head you have. Having
              said that,me and my big round head love my
              Shoie rf800,(replaced by the rf900)best,most comfy helmet I`ve ever owned.
              DaveL.
            • Michael Best
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 17, 2003
                In regards to the helmet thread and comments made:

                I ask - Has anyone ever seen a racer wearing no helmet? Probably not. Therefore, if they think that it may help them when they crash at 130+ mph, what can it hurt if I wear one while riding the twisties at speeds somewhat leass frantic.

                Just my two cents, which I cdon't chip in often.

                MB - '98 BRG 1200
                Kingsville, Ontario, Canada
              • jf32332003
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 30, 2005
                  I am not going to repost along the lines of all the other posts but
                  will tell you about a conversation I had recently. I spoke with a
                  Arai rep while at the AMA races in Wiscosin 3 weeks ago. I
                  specifically brought up the before mentioned helmet article as I had
                  read it and wear an Arai Quantam-f. According to the rep some of
                  data was not completely accurate but he did acknowledge some
                  legitamacy to the study. Based on his response I took away the
                  feeling that if you can guarantee you will crash at lets say 30mph
                  or slower some of the cheaper helmets will do just fine. His point
                  was the reason these racers wear the shell they do is because the
                  speed and type of impact are far more predictable. The other
                  intersting thing he voiced was about manufacturing of the helmets.
                  The cheap ones will not (according to him) have the double and
                  triple checks for specific foam density, thickness etc.

                  I dont stand on either side but do beleive you will pay more for a
                  better constucted helmet and that does invlove things besides safety
                  such as, Comfort, fit, air flow etc. All I know is I have been down
                  once with my Arai at 65mph and it worked well for me so I will stay
                  with it and continuing wearing helmets. Maybe a PEP boys $99 model
                  would have done the same but for me I'm not prepared to be a test
                  subject again!