Re: [TriumphTrophy] Trophy fairing alignment

  • waleao@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
      In a message dated 12/2/2003 5:26:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      andyaveyard@... writes:
      How big a job would it be for a novice to straighten up the fairing,
      the panels themselves are fine (right side seems to be a little off
      colour maybe) so it looks as though something under the fairing may
      need to be aligned ..... is there a frame of some kind ? I'd
      appreciate any advice.

      If anyone has any pics of a fairingless Trophy showing the mounts
      then that would be a real help.

      Thanks

      Oh boy now this is a big one. I have realigned mine 2 times trying to get it
      straight. I have even bent a few of the bolt holders in my eforts and it
      still is off a little. No there is not frame other then the one that holds the
      front cowling. If it was bent you would see a brake in the pait on the frame.
      It is real easy to remove your fairing but to be honest your bike is still
      covered under warranty. Document it with a dealer and let them take care of it.
      All fairing peices come off easy and there are many people here that can
      advise you but it sounds like your problem should be handled under warranty and
      save you the headache. BTW get it documented before you drop it or there will
      be no way to prove it afterwards.
      Ed

      Sunset Red "01" and life is a smooth ride.

    • waleao@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
        In a message dated 12/2/2003 7:41:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        j.schisler@... writes:
        I bought a new sub frame ( 230.00 ) because the other one would be imposiable
        to streighten and so much of the alignment depended on it .There is a lot of
        slop in most of the mounting bolts and you dont have to be a wizzard to tear
        it apart and reassemble it and figture out how it is suposed to be .If you pull
        the side fairing off you will be able to see what you are dealing with.
        Smitty

        Wow how much did the bike cost you if you do not mind me asking. Before not
        after, I already know about the cost of parts.

        Ed

        Sunset Red "01" and life is a smooth ride.

      • soonbefishing
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
          I'm not the original owner of the bike so I don't know if the
          previous owner was the one who dropped the bike or not. To be
          truthful I wouldn't expect a misaligned fairing to be covered under
          the warranty if the bike was dropped ?

          Thanks for the info all the same.
        • waleao@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
            In a message dated 12/2/2003 9:29:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            andyaveyard@... writes:
            I'm not the original owner of the bike so I don't know if the
            previous owner was the one who dropped the bike or not. To be
            truthful I wouldn't expect a misaligned fairing to be covered under
            the warranty if the bike was dropped ?

            Thanks for the info all the same.

            I do not think the bike was dropped. Several members and myself noticed the
            same thing after we bought our bikes new. I have since then dropped mine but
            never took it to the dealer to document it. If you take yours to the dealer
            they will know if its been wrecked or repaired. If you want to check yourself
            all you have to do is remove the fairing and inside it will say replacement on
            the fairing. If not then more then likely your bike cam from the factory
            misaligned and they will be glad to fix it. In fact if you take it to them they
            will probably already know how to fix it. Ed

            Sunset Red "01" and life is a smooth ride.

          • flatlander1200
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
              >>Also the gap between fairing and fuel tank is much narrower
              >>on the left side of the bike compared to the opposite side.

              Can't help you much if one side of the fairing is higher than the
              other, but if there is less gap on one side of the tank than the
              other, that is a really easy fix:

              The tank (on a '98 anyway) sits on 2 rubber mounts upfront and the
              rear is bolted to a bracket at the seat. With the palm of your hand,
              gently tap the front of the tank the direction that you want it to go
              to even out the gaps. There is a little play up there, most likely
              enough to even out your gaps. The shop I used to go to never could
              get the tank back on straight after service. They also stripped out
              half the bracket bolts on the bike, but that is another story...

              HTH
              Jeff
              aka Flatlander1200
            • jim schisler
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
                In my case I replaced the head fairing stay? because I had taken a hard hit to the ground on a corner. It was obvious the fairing was pushed over. Besides the worn through side fairing and my second turn signal loss the other fairing pieces and windshield twisted and formed rather nicely around the head stock. A little embarrassing to ride home on after all the compliments I usually get on the bike.
                After taking apart the fairing pieces I could see the bend in the fairing stay right above a weld. After toying with the idea of bending it back in place it became clear that it is a pretty heavy duty piece of rod and I couldn't get it lined up right without taking the weld off first. Not being a welder or much of a metal worker in any way I decided to replace it to spec. with a new one(along with the other parts- eeeegads).
                It is a tedious job to replace but gives you the opportunity to check out and reroute wire harnesses and inspect the control panel wiring if your the curious and nerdy type. The fairing to tank spacing is the same on both sides.

                jim s.

              • soonbefishing
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
                  Thanks Jim,
                  There are signs of the bike having been dropped, the left indicator
                  has been repaired, the last owner said he found some kids messing
                  near the bike and discovered the indicator broken ? The left footpeg
                  has a bit missing of the end and one of the bolts on the clutch
                  lever has been replaced.

                  Despite the problems mentioned I am still very pleased with my
                  Trophy, it's a real pleasure to ride but I would like to get the
                  fairing straight as it's bugging me now but I need to keep the
                  cost's down so I don't want to be buying a frame ;-)
                • jim schisler
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
                    Those parts sound familiar. The bike apparently balances very well(horizontally) just behind the front blinker and the mirror.
                    I thought it was odd that my handgrip got twisted around real good but my bar end didn't even look scratched.
                    My saddlebag on that side has a barely noticeable scratch. My footpeg wasn't affected but the mirror was destroyed and is what bent the fairing stay. The mirror is bolted down very well to it with two nice big bolts- thank the lawd, otherwise I think there would have been a lot more damage.
                    I like the bike and I'll like the shaft drive, fuel injection and lower center of gravity on the next model even more(I'm a glass half-full guy). 8^)

                    jim s.
                    There are signs of the bike having been dropped, the left indicator
                    has been repaired, the last owner said he found some kids messing
                    near the bike and discovered the indicator broken ? The left footpeg
                    has a bit missing of the end and one of the bolts on the clutch
                    lever has been replaced.

                    Despite the problems mentioned I am still very pleased with my
                    Trophy, it's a real pleasure to ride but I would like to get the
                    fairing straight as it's bugging me now but I need to keep the
                    cost's down so I don't want to be buying a frame ;-)

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

                    FAQs:

                  • barry schmidt

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
                        In a message dated 12/2/2003 5:33:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                        inthewoods@... writes:
                        ED I gave $ 3300.00 and put about $500 in parts . The machine had 850
                        miles.on it and I could have ridden it home.It cost another $150 for paint. I am
                        answering the wrong email . I deleated the other one by mistake but I am sure
                        you figured that out . Smitty

                        That was a damn good deal. I watch for those kind of deals all the time. I
                        will own a zz-r1200 one of these days.