Re: [TriumphTrophy] copper washer

  • ynotfixit
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2000
      From: "Graeme Harrison" her
      > the trick to do was to cook the washers in oven
      > then install them. When the washers cooled,
      > they'd expand.

      Actually what was happening was that you were "annealing" them. That is,
      returning them to a soft state so that they'd crush and seal against the
      irregularities of the plug and block surfaces. I tried doing it with my fork
      tube retaining bolt washers but the washers aren't the same type of mat'l
      and the surfaces blistered and the washers warped. I haven't tried it with
      the drain plug washers but then I just reuse them. So far after 6 oil
      changes I've had no leaks. I do the changes myself so it's probably due to
      my not overtightening the plug.
      YMMV, FWIW,

      Tony Angco
      ynot.fix@...