Warped rotors

  • doug harper
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2000
      After I put around 4,000 miles on my Y2K Trophy it developed a severe
      front-end shimmy while braking that was attributed to warped front rotors.
      They were replaced under warranty. Now the bike has a little more than
      8,000 miles on it and that old familiar warped rotor wobble is coming back
      again. And no, it's not a loose head bearing or a dented rim. What I find
      so mystifying is that I put more than 50,000 miles on my '97 Trophy with
      absolutely no rotor problems whatsoever and my braking techniques haven't
      changed in the slightest. Doing a "key word" search on the "other" list I
      found numerous posts about front rotors warping at around 4,000-5,000 miles
      (one chap had three pairs replaced under warranty in 16,000 miles) but I
      don't recall any from Trophy owners. Anybody have a similar problem?
      Anybody have a cure besides replacing the rotors every 4,000-5,000 miles ?

      Thanks,

      Doug Harper
      Freelance writer and/or biker
      (not necessarily in order of preference or frequency)
      .................................................. o \
      .............................................(O)&>(O)
    • Beardg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2000
        Geez Doug,I wonder if Triumph changed models of rotors.....I have never heard
        of any problems with TRophies. Mine has 24,000 miles same rotors and I use
        the fronts hard and heavy.Maybe a little parts search and find if parts #s
        changed....and if the old parts will fit.....
        DaveL.96Trophy4
      • Niall Guiver
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2000
          --- In TriumphTrophy@egroups.com, doug harper <harper.d@a...> wrote:
          > After I put around 4,000 miles on my Y2K Trophy it developed a severe
          > front-end shimmy while braking that was attributed to warped front rotors.
          > They were replaced under warranty. Now the bike has a little more than
          > 8,000 miles on it and that old familiar warped rotor wobble is coming back
          > again. And no, it's not a loose head bearing or a dented rim. What I find
          > so mystifying is that I put more than 50,000 miles on my '97 Trophy with
          > absolutely no rotor problems whatsoever and my braking techniques haven't
          > changed in the slightest. Doing a "key word" search on the "other" list I
          > found numerous posts about front rotors warping at around 4,000-5,000 miles
          > (one chap had three pairs replaced under warranty in 16,000 miles) but I
          > don't recall any from Trophy owners. Anybody have a similar problem?
          >
          > Doug Harper

          Doug,

          I've just replaced the front rotors on my '97 1200. The bike was
          secondhand when I bought it 1 year ago. Having found the front discs
          our of spec (dial gauge) I replaced them - bike then at 15,000 miles.
          I was shocked to find out that the Goodridge discs fitted to my bike
          were not standard - this means the previuos owner swapped them during
          the 1st 10,000 miles. At £200 ukp a set I expect much better
          quality from the Triumph discs - if not I'll be asking questions.

          Niall