Non starter - help

  • BRIAN EASTON
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28 2:25 AM
      Got the RAT Highland Raid this weekend, and my starter has gone U.S..
      Had the bike mot'd -passed and everything was fine,drove home and left the
      park light on in error.
      Battery flat but starter just turns and no more, bump started bike to get
      it running,left to tickover to charge battery enough to start.
      Switched off and then retried to start, nothing when starter button pushed
      except the neutral light flickered.
      Removed battery, topped up four empty cells with deionised water and
      charged overnight, morning gave an all clear 100% charge from charging unit.
      Refitted and still nothing from starter, pushed it all day to start on
      Rebel Ratpack run to Glenshee (over 300miles) so battery is definately
      fully charged.

      When engine run switch on run, sidestand up and clutch out, I get a click
      from the starter relay.
      When as above, but with clutch pulled in ,no click just a flicker from the
      neutral light.
      Removed and cleaned clutch switch, even bought a multimeter to check
      continuity (why I don't know because I'm a real dork when it comes to
      electrics - is continuity 000 ie/ current will flow and 1 on digital guage
      is no continuity ie/ resistance?? - instructions with the unit assumes knowhow!
      Took off neatral light connection and cleaned , refitted tighter seems OK.

      Where do i go now? - not a dealer,hey I'm a Scotsman.
      Help- time is ticking.
      Sorry for the long rambling, but the facts may help.

      BOAT Scotland 1200 Merlot BBBB when push started.
      .
    • J .Mick. Ormerod
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28 4:05 AM
        > Took off neatral light connection and cleaned , refitted tighter
        seems OK.

        > Where do i go now? - not a dealer,hey I'm a Scotsman.
        > Help- time is ticking.
        > Sorry for the long rambling, but the facts may help.
        >
        > BOAT Scotland 1200 Merlot BBBB when push started.

        Brian, how old is your battery? If it is not so new and it was
        discharged to a state of flatness, it probably won't recover,
        especially if as you say, you had to top up 4 cells. I would try a
        set of jump leads (from your car) and see what response you get, if
        it starts you need a battery. This is probably the easiest and first
        thing I would try.

        Mick,Lancs,UK.
      • trumpettriple
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28 4:11 AM
          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "J .Mick. Ormerod" <
          jmormerod@l...> wrote:

          > > Took off neatral light connection and cleaned , refitted tighter
          > seems OK.
          > >
          > > Where do i go now? - not a dealer,hey I'm a Scotsman.
          > > Help- time is ticking.
          > > Sorry for the long rambling, but the facts may help.
          > >
          > > BOAT Scotland 1200 Merlot BBBB when push started.
          Brian, how old is your battery? If it is not so new and it was
          > discharged to a state of flatness, it probably won't recover,
          > especially if as you say, you had to top up 4 cells. I would try a
          > set of jump leads (from your car) and see what response you get, if
          > it starts you need a battery. This is probably the easiest and first
          > thing I would try.
          >

          > Mick,Lancs,UK.

          Brian,
          I agree with Mick: your battery is shot. They are deceptive things - appear
          charged, but can't hold the current. I'll bet a car jump start will work fine. Then
          pick up a new battery.

          When mine goes, I'm getting one of the new gel batteries....
        • John
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 28 4:38 AM
            snip
            Where do i go now? - not a dealer,hey I'm a Scotsman.
            Help- time is ticking.
            Sorry for the long rambling, but the facts may help.

            BOAT Scotland 1200 Merlot BBBB when push started.
            .
            snip

            **
            A good indication of your battery status is if it will keep your bright
            headlights on for a couple minutes. If you get it bump started again, run it
            down to your nearest car / battery shop. Normally they would be willing load
            test at no cost, at least most part shops here in the US do. It's would be
            like hooking up 8 D-cell batteries to your bike. They will light up your
            gauges easy enough, but dang 'shore won't start it no matter how fresh they
            are.

            Multimeter: when the meter reads 0 on your resistance (ohms) scale that
            means you can have current flow (the the switch is closed or the wire is
            good or you have a short). If the display does not change on the meter when
            you check it that means there is no path for current flow (open switch,
            broke wire, no short)

            John of Jax 2002 1200SSC

          • taylorrguk
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 28 5:51 AM
              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, BRIAN EASTON <jb.easton@v...>
              wrote:

              I agree with the others :- Battery U/S.
              Varta do one for ~£28.

              (You've been bump-starting???? - That poor spring!) ;-)

              Richard T.
            • Ed Walden
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 28 8:28 AM
                seems OK.

                Where do i go now? - not a dealer,hey I'm a Scotsman.
                Help- time is ticking.
                Sorry for the long rambling, but the facts may help.

                BOAT Scotland 1200 Merlot BBBB when push started.
                .
                Push starting a 600 lb bike. You must be a scotsman. Remind me never to
                say anything bad about you or your mother.
                Ed

              • Denny
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 28 4:54 PM
                  >Do the lights go out when you push the starter switch? If so, that means the starter relay input side is working. The output side applies current to the starter. I'm guessing that that's the clicking you're hearing. That relay is under the seat next to the battery and you should be able to hear or feel it clicking when the starter button is pushed. That one thing says everything else in the circuit is OK. Now the hard part either the output side of that relay is shot or as others have said the battery can't supply enough current to turn the starter over. All of this is (ass u me)assuming that the wiring to all parts is secure. Could you have pull the connectors loose from the relay when removing and charging the battery?

                  Also you are correct about the meter 0000 on a digital meter on
                  the ohms scale is a short an any other indication is an open if it's
                  fluctuating between low and higher values it's generally an intermittent
                  (or bad) switch etc. Good luck. It's so hard to diagnose over the
                  internet and not very timely. If you need to you could post me offline
                  and I could give you a telephone number.
                  Denny
                  Trophy 1200

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 31 12:13 PM
                    At 11:05 28/08/03 +0000, you wrote:

                    > > Where do i go now? - not a dealer,hey I'm a Scotsman.
                    > > Help- time is ticking.
                    > > Sorry for the long rambling, but the facts may help.
                    > >
                    > > BOAT Scotland 1200 Merlot BBBB when push started.
                    >

                    >Brian, how old is your battery? If it is not so new and it was
                    >discharged to a state of flatness, it probably won't recover,
                    >especially if as you say, you had to top up 4 cells. I would try a
                    >set of jump leads (from your car) and see what response you get, if
                    >it starts you need a battery. This is probably the easiest and first
                    >thing I would try.
                    >

                    >Mick,Lancs,UK.
                    Thanks to everyone for their help with my starter problem, sorry for not
                    replying sooner I've just returned from the RAT Highland Raid - without
                    push starting the 1200.

                    The battery was fine, I tried, as suggested jump leads from my car battery
                    and the switch still didn't work.
                    Fault traced to the starter relay switch situated in front of the battery box.
                    No continuity from the starter and positive battery terminals on the relay
                    when battery connected to both top spade connections,even though the relay
                    was clicking as it should. Found this out at 17:15 on a Friday night.
                    Built the bike back up, had removed top box,rack,side panels, air expansion
                    chamber, battery and box.
                    My friend arrived at 19:30 for our run up to Kinnloch Rannoch with,low and
                    behold, a second hand starter relay switch, he had purchased from Sprint
                    Engineering a few months back.
                    We fitted it in forty minutes at the Hotel in the dark with a torch for
                    help, and midges biting,works perfectly all weekend.

                    BOAT 1200 Merlot Scotland
                  • taylorrguk
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 31 1:48 PM
                      wrote:

                      > We fitted it in forty minutes at the Hotel in the dark with a torch
                      for
                      > help, and midges biting,works perfectly all weekend.

                      Glad to hear it's resolved, Brian!

                      How did the Raid go?
                      Any hints and tips? I'm taking SWMBO on our first one to the Lakes in
                      a few weeks.

                      Richard T.
                    • BRIAN EASTON
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 1, 2003
                        At 20:48 31/08/03 +0000, you wrote:
                        >--- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, BRIAN EASTON <jb.easton@v...>
                        >wrote:
                        >

                        >How did the Raid go?
                        >Any hints and tips? I'm taking SWMBO on our first one to the Lakes in
                        >a few weeks.
                        >
                        >Richard T.
                        >
                        >The run was good ,hotel excellent but, one of our local RAT pack members
                        >had a serious accident on his TT600 with his grandaughter as pillion when
                        >hit by a cager, put a dampener on thing's.

                        The new Triumph administrator with company bike (3 week old ST) and no
                        contract of employment as yet, on his first RAT pack outing trashed the
                        bike in the wet, he was OK. Gossip goes he's getting a Bonneville next run.

                        Don't rely on a friend for info, we missed our evening meal on the Friday.

                        Arrive early, with a full tank of fuel for next morning, don't stay up til
                        three in the morning drinking and chatting.

                        Do spear Simon for info. New Trophy is not on unless it's a huge secret.
                        Triumph have looked at market niches they can compete seriously in and
                        touring isn't one of them.

                        Leave plenty of room from the bike in front and don't get involved in ego
                        racing, ride safe.

                        Have fun.

                        BOAT 1200 Merlot Scotland