Re: Insurance comparison

  • Beardg@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 7, 1999
      Mike,
      You must have all year round coverage, yes? For I have the 7 on 5 off
      and I`m paying under 200/year with Progressive. I don`t know how they are on
      claims as I`ve never had one. But I continue to hope for the best.
      Dave
    • fhwilliamsiii
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 5, 2003
        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Beardg@... wrote:
        > Mike,
        > You must have all year round coverage, yes? For I have the 7
        on 5 off
        > and I`m paying under 200/year with Progressive. I don`t know how
        they are on
        > claims as I`ve never had one. But I continue to hope for the best.
        > Dave

        i just insured my 1200 with Markel American Ins.(bikeline.com)for
        $175 yearly, including roadside assistance. this after geico, whom i
        had insured bikes with for years, wanted $534 for the trophy--goodbye
        geico!!
        frank
      • trumpettriple
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 5, 2003
          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "fhwilliamsiii"
          <fhwilliamsiii@y...> wrote:
          > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Beardg@... wrote:
          > > Mike,
          > > <snip>I have the 7 on 5 off and I`m paying under 200/year
          > >with Progressive.
          > > Dave
          >
          > i just insured my 1200 with Markel American Ins.(bikeline.com)for
          > $175 yearly, including roadside assistance. this after geico, whom
          > had insured bikes with for years, wanted $534 for the trophy--
          > frank

          Like you Frank, I switched to bikeline, but from Allstate, and
          better than halved my rate to $190/year, with roadside assistance.

          Brian
        • lgl12356
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 5, 2003
            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "trumpettriple"
            <trumpettriple@y...> wrote:
            > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "fhwilliamsiii"
            > <fhwilliamsiii@y...> wrote:
            > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Beardg@... wrote:
            > > > Mike,
            > > > <snip>I have the 7 on 5 off and I`m paying under 200/year
            > > >with Progressive.
            > > > Dave
            > >
            > > i just insured my 1200 with Markel American
            Ins.(bikeline.com)for
            > > $175 yearly, including roadside assistance. this after geico,
            whom

            (correct url)

            http://www.bike-line.com
          • lgl12356
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 5, 2003
              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "lgl12356" <lamb@M...>
              wrote:
              > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "trumpettriple"
              > <trumpettriple@y...> wrote:
              > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "fhwilliamsiii"
              > > <fhwilliamsiii@y...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > i just insured my 1200 with Markel American
              > Ins.(bikeline.com)for
              > > > $175 yearly, including roadside assistance. this after
              geico,
              > whom
              >

              > (correct url)
              >
              > http://www.bike-line.com

              ...and it looks like this list/you are going to save me
              at least $100.

              THANKS!

              hmmm, car insurance is coming up too....

              Lowell
            • Norman Bunn
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 5, 2003
                At 08:43 AM 9/5/2003, you wrote:
                >--- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Beardg@... wrote:
                > > Mike,
                > > You must have all year round coverage, yes? For I have the 7
                >on 5 off
                > > and I`m paying under 200/year with Progressive. I don`t know how
                >they are on
                > > claims as I`ve never had one. But I continue to hope for the best.
                > > Dave
                >
                >i just insured my 1200 with Markel American Ins.(bikeline.com)for
                >$175 yearly, including roadside assistance. this after geico, whom i
                >had insured bikes with for years, wanted $534 for the trophy--goodbye
                >geico!!
                >frank

                For insurance comparisons, always make sure you are comparing apples to
                apples on the coverage. I have done this with Progressive, Bikeline and
                American National and they all come within 10% of each other ($360 -
                $390). The equivalent RAT coverage was hundreds higher ($587). Changing
                the parameters just slightly can make significant differences in the
                price. For example, if you have good health insurance through other
                sources, why have medical coverage on the bike? Then there is the
                company's reputation.

                Norman
                '99 1200 PB
              • Tom Witt
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 5, 2003
                  I've been reluctant to shop for insurance because it's a pain in the
                  ass and they all start you out low and jack you up after you've been
                  with them for a while anyway. I've already got "Cheap" insurance with
                  Progressive (have been with them about three years now), mainly
                  because I keep basically the bare minimum on my bikes (liability).
                  However, after looking at Bike-Line.com, comparing apples-to-apples
                  and getting a quote for the exact coverage that I'm getting with
                  Progressive, I see that they are LESS than HALF of what my
                  Progressive premiums are. I can buy it online with a credit card
                  right here and right now. I'm sitting here trying to figure out why I
                  shouldn't switch. I'm still sitting here. Still thinking.

                  Tom

                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "lgl12356" <lamb@M...> wrote:
                  > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "lgl12356" <lamb@M...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "trumpettriple"
                  > > <trumpettriple@y...> wrote:
                  > > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "fhwilliamsiii"

                  > > Ins.(bikeline.com)for
                  > geico,
                  > > whom
                  > >

                  > > (correct url)
                  > >
                  > > http://www.bike-line.com
                  >
                  > ...and it looks like this list/you are going to save me
                  > at least $100.
                  >
                  > THANKS!
                  >
                  > hmmm, car insurance is coming up too....
                  >
                  > Lowell
                • Dean Barger
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 5, 2003
                    SWITCH ! SWITCH !!

                    You are the only one responsible for how you spend YOUR money...if you get the same coverage for less money, it is silly to stay with Progressive.

                    I am changing...but I will overlap coverages about 2 weeks..just in case bike-line tries to pull a bait and switch.

                    Tom Witt <Witttom@...> wrote:
                    I've been reluctant to shop for insurance because it's a pain in the
                    ass and they all start you out low and jack you up after you've been
                    with them for a while anyway. I've already got "Cheap" insurance with
                    Progressive (have been with them about three years now), mainly
                    because I keep basically the bare minimum on my bikes (liability).
                    However, after looking at Bike-Line.com, comparing apples-to-apples
                    and getting a quote for the exact coverage that I'm getting with
                    Progressive, I see that they are LESS than HALF of what my
                    Progressive premiums are. I can buy it online with a credit card
                    right here and right now. I'm sitting here trying to figure out why I
                    shouldn't switch. I'm still sitting here. Still thinking.

                    Tom

                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "lgl12356" <lamb@M...> wrote:
                    > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "lgl12356" <lamb@M...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "trumpettriple"
                    > > <trumpettriple@y...> wrote:
                    > > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "fhwilliamsiii"

                    > > Ins.(bikeline.com)for
                    > geico,
                    > > whom
                    > >

                    > > (correct url)
                    > >
                    > > http://www.bike-line.com
                    >
                    > ...and it looks like this list/you are going to save me
                    > at least $100.
                    >
                    > THANKS!
                    >
                    > hmmm, car insurance is coming up too....
                    >
                    > Lowell

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

                    FAQs:

                  • jim schisler
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 5, 2003
                      Bike-line was very easy to get started with and the people easy to deal with.
                      Progressive got expensive the last two years and when I wrecked the bike I didn't like the way they worked. My little mind tells me that when these moto only companies start selling car insurance we start paying for car accidents too, not just bikes.
                      I saved $200 a year on full coverage by switching over. Thats half a leather jacket, a set of tires, almost a new helmet...

                      Jim S.
                      "

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 5, 2003
                        That sounds like a good idea (the overlap).

                        I'm also considering putting collision/comprehensive back on my
                        Trophy as well, since Bike-Line's rates are so good.

                        ..oh, and I'm NOT the only one responsible for how I spend my money.
                        My wife plays a big part in that too.<G>

                        Tom

                        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Dean Barger <deanbar@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > SWITCH ! SWITCH !!
                        >
                        > You are the only one responsible for how you spend YOUR money...if
                        you get the same coverage for less money, it is silly to stay with
                        Progressive.

                        > I am changing...but I will overlap coverages about 2 weeks..just in
                        case bike-line tries to pull a bait and switch.

                        > Tom Witt <Witttom@a...> wrote:
                        > I've been reluctant to shop for insurance because it's a pain in
                        the
                        > ass and they all start you out low and jack you up after you've
                        been
                        > with them for a while anyway. I've already got "Cheap" insurance
                        with
                        > Progressive (have been with them about three years now), mainly
                        > because I keep basically the bare minimum on my bikes (liability).
                        > However, after looking at Bike-Line.com, comparing apples-to-apples
                        > and getting a quote for the exact coverage that I'm getting with
                        > Progressive, I see that they are LESS than HALF of what my
                        > Progressive premiums are. I can buy it online with a credit card
                        > right here and right now. I'm sitting here trying to figure out why
                        > shouldn't switch. I'm still sitting here. Still thinking.
                        >
                        > Tom

                      • Tom Witt
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 5, 2003
                          I noticed that the company (Markel American Insurance) does quite a
                          bit of insurance business for "specialty" type applications
                          (recreational vehicles, racecars, horses, commercial equipment,
                          classic/antique autombiles, etc). I wonder why they're not in
                          the "Regular" automotive insurance industry.

                          I think I'm going to make the switch later today or possibly this
                          weekend. I mean, I guess I can always go back to Progress if things
                          don't go well, right?

                          I love the ability to buy insurance online (which is one of the
                          reasons why I'm with Progressive). I wasn't quite sure from the
                          poking around that I was doing, but can I make changes (additions,
                          coverage adjustments, etc) to a Bike-Line policy online?

                          Tom

                          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "jim schisler"
                          <j.schisler@c...> wrote:
                          > Bike-line was very easy to get started with and the people easy to
                          deal with.
                          > Progressive got expensive the last two years and when I wrecked the
                          bike I didn't like the way they worked. My little mind tells me that
                          when these moto only companies start selling car insurance we start
                          paying for car accidents too, not just bikes.
                          > I saved $200 a year on full coverage by switching over. Thats half
                          a leather jacket, a set of tires, almost a new helmet...

                          > Jim S.
                          > "
                          > I've been reluctant to shop for insurance because it's a pain in
                          the
                          > ass and they all start you out low and jack you up after you've
                          been
                          > with them for a while anyway.
                          > "

                        • lgl12356
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 5, 2003
                            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Witt" <Witttom@a...>
                            wrote:
                            > I noticed that the company (Markel American Insurance) does
                            quite a
                            > bit of insurance business for "specialty" type applications
                            > (recreational vehicles, racecars, horses, commercial equipment,
                            > classic/antique autombiles, etc). I wonder why they're not in
                            > the "Regular" automotive insurance industry.

                            Could be part of the reason the rates are fairly reasonable,
                            the "regular" auto realm probably has a lot more claims and
                            risks. As someone mentioned, probably when the area meld,
                            the lower risk areas have to help make up for the higher
                            risk/cost areas. Kinda like all of us still have to pay
                            for the guy on the c.rocket going 130 in 2nd, wearing shorts
                            and sandals.

                            > poking around that I was doing, but can I make changes
                            (additions,
                            > coverage adjustments, etc) to a Bike-Line policy online?
                            >
                            > Tom

                            One of the lead pages had a 'make changes to policy' button.

                            Lowell
                          • Tom Witt
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 5, 2003
                              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "lgl12356" <lamb@M...> wrote:

                              > One of the lead pages had a 'make changes to policy' button.

                              Appears to be a "Request Change" actually, which from what it seems
                              is basically emailing a typed request to a real person, that person
                              makes changes, and emails you back within 24hrs. Not quite as nice as
                              being able to do it on the fly like Progressive, but probably "Good
                              Enough" in my book and not likely to stop me from making the switch.

                              Tom
                            • fhwilliamsiii
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 5, 2003
                                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Witt" <Witttom@a...> wrote:
                                > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "lgl12356" <lamb@M...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > One of the lead pages had a 'make changes to policy' button.
                                >
                                > Appears to be a "Request Change" actually, which from what it seems
                                > is basically emailing a typed request to a real person, that person
                                > makes changes, and emails you back within 24hrs. Not quite as nice
                                as
                                > being able to do it on the fly like Progressive, but probably "Good
                                > Enough" in my book and not likely to stop me from making the switch.
                                >
                                > Tom
                                when i made the change, i got the quote on-line, then called their
                                toll-free number to ask some questions & when satisfied initiated
                                coverage through that person on the phone---makes me feel better to
                                pay a person!!! they a an "a.m.best A rated co" so they should be
                                fine--at least they don't charge a penalty for performance tourers!!
                                frank
                              • John
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 5, 2003
                                  > Ins.(bikeline.com)for
                                  > > > $175 yearly, including roadside assistance. this after
                                  geico,
                                  > whom

                                  I just did a quote, they are quoting me $390 on my 2002 Trophy

                                  John of Jax 20021200SSC

                                • Jim Hileman
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 5, 2003
                                    I went with Progressive; $525 for both my '01 Trophy 1200 and my '03
                                    VStar 1100.

                                    Geico quoted over $1200 for identical coverage !?! couldn't help
                                    but laugh out loud at that one, but the rep assured my that I heard
                                    correctly.........

                                    Jim
                                    jamesh_99@...

                                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johntac@b...> wrote:

                                    > > Ins.(bikeline.com)for
                                    > geico,
                                    > > whom
                                    > >

                                    > I just did a quote, they are quoting me $390 on my 2002 Trophy
                                    >
                                    > John of Jax 20021200SSC

                                  • Steve Warren
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 6, 2003
                                      Jim Hileman wrote:

                                      I went with Progressive; $525 for both my '01 Trophy 1200 and my '03
                                      VStar 1100.

                                      Geico quoted over $1200 for identical coverage !?! couldn't help
                                      but laugh out loud at that one, but the rep assured my that I heard
                                      correctly.........
                                      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

                                      I recently switched from Geico to Progressive. When the latest bill from
                                      Geico arrived it was high enough to prompt me to call them and find out if
                                      there was a mistake. No mistake. They wanted $961/year for liability,
                                      uninsured motorist, comp, and collision on just the Trophy! The same
                                      coverage on the Magna and just liability on the Oldwing brought the total to
                                      over $1600/year. Switching to Progressive brought the total to under
                                      $600/year and it includes a few extras like coverage on accessories.

                                      Now it looks like I need to go check out Bikeline.....

                                      Steve Warren Lawrenceville GA
                                      http://home.comcast.net/~stephen.warren1
                                      2002 VF750 Magna
                                      1997 Trophy 900
                                      1977 GL1000
                                    • mharris13
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 7, 2003
                                        I just did an online quote from bike-line to compare to my current
                                        Progressive. Same exact coverage amounts:

                                        Bike Line $1,078

                                        Progressive: $610

                                        Mark
                                        1998 Sprint Exec Platinum
                                      • daveusm69
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 7, 2003
                                          $610 for insurance! Ouch. I don't know how rates in the States
                                          compare with here in good old Blighty(!) but that sounds pretty
                                          expensive.
                                          Just for comparison I have a 93 Trophy 1200 and a 2002 TT600 and
                                          insure them both for £260 a year fully comprehensive.
                                          OK so I am over 40 with no claims recently which helps.

                                          That's through Triumph Direct. Worth a call if you are UK based 0870
                                          2411676. It was also about £200 cheaper than the next nearest
                                          quote.

                                          Cheers, Dave G.
                                        • Jerry
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 7, 2003
                                            I just did an online quote from bike-line to compare to my current
                                            Progressive.  Same exact coverage amounts:

                                            Bike Line $1,078

                                            Progressive: $610

                                            Mark
                                            1998 Sprint Exec Platinum

                                            I figured what the hell; let's see what bike-line will quote on my new
                                            Sprint. Here's the reply, “We're sorry, we do not offer on-line quotes
                                            for Lousiana. Please call our customer service department at
                                            1-800-236-BIKE (2453) for assistance. BTY, Louisiana isn’t spelled
                                            Lousiana. [roll eyes].

                                            No longer bikeles Jerry
                                            03 Sprint ST 955i. ;o)
                                            Boy, this bike's going to be FUN when it's broken in!!!!!
                                          • Kevin B
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 28, 2010
                                              That's a lot of money!

                                              Renewed my policy in UK today with Bennetts.
                                              UK rider aged 49 with 12+ years no claim.
                                              Insurance = £71.77 fully comprehensive.
                                              £250 deductible on collision but no saving for increasing that (how could they at that price?)
                                              + £3 for payment by credit card.
                                              + includes 30 day free European cover.
                                              + includes 2 of my brothers as extra riders.

                                              I thought that was a bit of bargain but three or four companies were less than £100.