Re: [TriumphTrophy] another alt. bites the dust....

  • Beardg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 20, 2000
      My buddy Doug Kerr who,on my advice,purchased a 1200 Trophy has,I think,come
      down with the alternator clack. And boy is it loud! We trailered it down to
      the dealer(Concord NH) loaded up with all my emails(thanx guys) and dropped
      it off. I told the Service manager that I`ll be getting ready for my repairs
      as well if this IS the Alt. bolt. He kinda sheepishly agreed.......But
      we....I may be in for a fight with TOA. Have any of youz guys had the work
      done OUT of warranty? With or without a breakdown? What was the mileage?
      Thanx. The battle wages on for all Trophy owners!!!!
      Hopefully D.Kerr will fill us in on the results of the biopsy asap.
      DaveL.96Trophy4
    • markfuchs@breathemail.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 22, 2000
        --- In TriumphTrophy@egroups.com, Beardg@a... wrote:
        I had a similar problem on the 95 T'bird. Just done over 11000miles,
        unfortunatley the output shaft seal went as well!. Figured as they
        had the engine out as well (the only way to fix outputshaft seal)
        they might as well as repair it as well. Had lovely bill of just
        under £400, the parts came to a total of £25. So far touch
        wood, my
        trophy is ok, just rolling over 12000miles.
      • Beardg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 23, 2000
          In a message dated 9/23/2000 12:46:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          markfuchs@... writes:

          << Had lovely bill of just under £400, the parts came to a total of £25. So far << touch wood, my Trophy is ok, just rolling over 12000miles. >>

          Did you attempt to get Triumph to foot some of the bill?
          DaveL.
        • markfuchs@breathemail.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 23, 2000
            --- In TriumphTrophy@egroups.com, Beardg@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 9/23/2000 12:46:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > markfuchs@b... writes:
            >
            > << Had lovely bill of just under £400, the parts came to a total of
            £25. So far << touch wood, my Trophy is ok, just rolling over 12000miles. >>

            > Did you attempt to get Triumph to foot some of the bill?
            > DaveL.

            No, mainly due to the fact that the warranty had expired. Had I known
            this was a common fault (alternator bolt shearing) I would have
            definitely tried. As for the output shaft seal, it was argued that I
            may have tightened the chain a bit too much. Their word against mine.

            Oh well, live and learn
          • John O'Donovan
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 28, 2000

              Have any of youz guys had the work
              done OUT of warranty? With or without a breakdown? What was the mileage?
              Thanx. The battle wages on for all Trophy owners!!!!
                  Hopefully D.Kerr will fill us in on the results of the biopsy asap.
              DaveL.96Trophy4

              [John O'Donovan] My bike broke down in mid-Vermont (I live near Boston).  It had 24K miles on it at the time.  I trucked it back to my dealer.  The repair was covered under the extended warranty, although I felt that Triumph should have taken care of it.

              John O'Donovan

            • Doug Kerr
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 29, 2000
                I too have suffered the dreded alternator grenade effect. I too was in
                Vermont when it happened. I also was just over 20,000 miles (22,000) It
                appears as though my Triumph dealer is going to pick up the bill (out of
                warranty). I'll keep you folks posted

                Doug Kerr

              • jpfreitag@mindspring.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 30, 2000
                  Hi listers: Have always had a Brit thing; had MGB's for years; a couple of
                  BSA's including a 580cc B50 trailie and way back an old Golden Flash, but
                  most raucously, a Rickman with an extended swingarm to house a nice old 1075
                  turbo Kaw with a Bill Hahn ignition and a C/R gearbox to help it stay on
                  fire and boost. (Gawd, what a lot of power and pain). Also had an Italian
                  thing too with a 900SS and a gorgeous 900M. and... and... I guess it is just
                  a mosickle thang I have.

                  Now I have a 96 BRG 1200 also, love the torque monster, and have just turned
                  20,000 miles. No alternator woes ...yet? Are there any preventive steps one
                  could take to hopefully avoid this problem?

                  The bike has been trouble free and powerful with stiffer fork springs, Yoshi
                  cans plus jets and a dyno tune from Mickey Cohen at Orange County Triumph
                  (BTW, he runs a great dealership and it is a good place to have work done).
                  I have only recently notice that the transmission sometimes will miss a
                  shift (couldn't be the rider, ya know). Thoughts? ...thanks.

                  John Freitag
                  from 21 bikes to one (at the moment)