RE:Alternator stuck

  • Ray Tredoux
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
      "Phil.T" <on2wheels@...> Wrote:

      >Today I decided to investigate the rattle coming from the alternator area
      on my '92 900.
      <<snipped>>
      >The bugger will not come off. So, come on guys, who can tell me where I'm
      going wrong?
      > Why won't my alternator budge?

      'cos it's stuck ;-)

      seriously though, the first tim eI tried to remove mine I thought some rude
      bugger had used loctite or super-glue to seal the damned thing on.
      You might like to try placing a length of wood ( like a 8-inch length of
      broomstick ) against the side of the alternator, and gently tapping it with
      a hammer.
      Do this evenly around the body of the alternator ( place the stick against
      the body of the alternator, not the cover or you'll screw that up...)
      after a few taps like this ( and I mean taps, if you hit it too hard it'll
      jam solid) you should be able to grab the alternator with both hands and
      pull , whilst maintaining a circular (or side-side , or up-and-down ) motion
      to free it.

      It's got a gurt big 'O'-ring on the seating flange which can make it stick,
      and you may need to replace this when you put the thing back on.

      I hope this makes sense....it's bloody hard to describe... or maybe it's
      just that tuesday morning-and-its-cold-and-wet feeling...

      ride free

      ray
    • Phil.T
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2000
        Thanks, I'll try this again later, but for now I've bolted everything back
        together (I missed the bike). I thought for a moment I was doing something
        wrong, it's a pity the offending bolts aren't as tight as the fit of the
        alternator in that bloody 'O' ring eh?

        Just to put my two penneth worth into the subject of tyres, I run Michelin
        Macadam 100's on my '92 900 and there bloody fantastic. I used to fit them
        to other bikes too and can say they give excellent mileage and grip.

        So there you go,

        Who's off to the NEC in November?

        Cheers Phil