Re: Excessive Heat

  • Eddy Fox
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
      --- In TriumphTrophy@egroups.com, obaez@1... wrote:
      > Just purchased a 99 Trophy with 5400 miles. I'm experiencing something
      > I've never experienced on my other air-cooled bikes and that is the
      > amount of heat emitting from the engine. The radiator fluid looks
      > fine and is topped off and I've just changed the oil to Golden Spec.

      You need to come down over here in big Texas. Hot! very hot. Just about every stop light the fan is working away. Its been in the 100's and mid 90's, whewww... hot! I already can't wait till Oct.

      Ride Safe,
      FOX
    • vbookshelf@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
        My 1999 Trophy 9 also emits an incredible amount of heat. So much so that, in
        my opinion, it is unacceptable as a touring bike in the summer. I am
        personally very heat tolerant but mine is ridiculous. My dealer rode it and
        could not believe how much heat it pours on your legs. He called Triumph in
        Atlanta and they only acknowledged that it could be a problem in southern
        climates and that there was nothing that could be done to alleviate the
        problem.

        Fortunately, I have other bikes to choose from when it is hot.

        Ross in Tallahassee

        << From: obaez@...
        Subject: Excessive Heat

        Just purchased a 99 Trophy with 5400 miles. Im experiencing something
        I've never experienced on my other air-cooled bikes and that is the
        amount of heat emitting from the engine. The radiator fluid looks
        fine and is topped off and I've just changed the oil to Golden Spec.
        from Mobil Synthetic. The thermostat was removed with a bypass valve,
        (performed by a HVAC expert), so that the coolant fluid is constantly
        being pumped into the radiator. Still the bike runs hot. The fluid
        has never been flushed. Is this something that needs to be done. What
        do the Trophies come with, as far as radiator fluid, from the
        factory. Any and all help is appreciated >>
      • Eddy Fox
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
          The thermostat was removed with a bypass
          valve,
          > (performed by a HVAC expert), so that the coolant fluid is
          constantly
          > being pumped into the radiator. Still the bike runs hot.

          Yup! bike will still run hot or even more.
          Removing the thermostat is only for a temporary thing.
          The question here is "What are RADIATOR's"......
          Use liquid nitrogen for summer coolant, don't need radiator.

          hehe..
        • brucetrophy@iglobal.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
            I agree with what the others have said about changing the fluids.
            There are many on this list who are from Northern climates. Those of
            us from the South or West are concernced with heat. While many on
            the list do not think they help a great deal, I am a big believer in
            the lower fairing inserts you can get. They make a big difference
            when it 95 degrees at noon and 100+ in the afternoon. Get some, you
            will notice a large reduction in heat on your legs. For those that
            ride where it rarely gets over 90 in the summer, I doubt they notice
            any difference, I certainly can on the edge of the Chihuahan Desert
            in West Texas.
            I don't know if this is your first experience on a fully faired bike,
            it was for me. It took some getting used to after riding behind a
            windshield for many years. If it is your first experience then you
            have already noticed there is not much wind getting to your torso,
            this also increases heat and takes some acclimating to get adjusted
            to the lack of wind around your body.
            I have ridden my 900 for all day rides when it was 100 for most of
            the day. It is not objectionably hot. Change the coolant, add water
            wetter, get the inserts, try a motoport summer jacket, you will
            hopefully find many happy hours on your Trophy in the summers.
            Bruce
          • Mike Sachs
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2000
              At 03:41 PM 8/3/2000 -0000, brucetrophy@... wrote:
              >...95 degrees at noon and 100+ in the afternoon....try a motoport summer
              jacket

              Try soaking your shirt with water before you put on the jacket. Sounds
              weird, feels great! Like AC for about 75 miles, then repeat.

              Mike Sachs
              Decatur, GA
              "Just shut up and go everywhere, because you won't
              know until you've been there." (airyn, 1998)