Removing front wheel

  • JohnHuntD@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2003
      Since I bought my 2001 Torphy 1200 a month ago I have diskiked the
      'industrial'-looking all-black wheels, so today I removed the front wheel to
      strip the paint off the lip and polish it.

      Before starting I thought I'd do something intelligent for a change and read
      what the Owners' Manual says about removing the front wheel. To my amazement,
      I found NOTHING in the Owners Manual about removing eitehr front or rear
      wheel. It doesn't much of a mechanic to figure out how to take a wheel off,
      but there was also nothing in the Owners Manual about the torque
      specifications for the 12mm socket head (Allen) bolt, the four 6mm socket
      head pinch bolts on the fork sliders, or the four 14mm hex bolts that hold
      the brake calipers to the fork sliders.

      I assume Trimuph front wheels are like Japanese bikes in that you tighten the
      12mm hex bolt first; then the 6mm pinch bolts on the right side; then take
      the bike off the stand and holding the front brake pump it up and down to
      locate the left fork slider on the axle so it is not binding on fork
      compression; and after that, tighten the left slider pinch bolts. I tightened
      all the bolts by feel, and would appreciate anyone telling me the proper
      torque specifications so I can go back and torque everything to spec.

      I guess it's time to buy a Shop Manual. Does Haynes make one for the Triumph
      Trophy?

      I'm still puzzled why Trimuph doesn't include instructions in the Owners
      Manual for removing the wheels and related torque specifications. The only
      thing I can figure is Triumph is afraid of product liability lawsuits where
      some yahoo removes and re-installs a wheel and f__ks it up, and ends up
      crashing and suing Triumph. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

      By the way, removing the paint from the lip and polishing it, in my humble
      opinion greatly improves the appearance of the bike. My 1998 Honda Super Hawk
      996 has similar ugly all-black wheels. I just wish Triumph, Honda, et al
      would make wheel rims the way God intended: either chrome spoke rims with
      polished spokes or polished aluminum rims!

      Ride safely and enjoy life.

      John Doak in Baltimore, MD
    • David Wright
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2003
        Yes Haynes does make a manual. I don't know about the front wheel, but the
        rear wheel is a breese to remove. You shouldn't have any problems.
        I was thinking of having the wheels chromed.

      • Thompson John
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2003
          > I was thinking of having the wheels chromed.

          Two of mine are powder coated white ( Guzzi ) and I've been happy with
          them. They were done by Steve Ford of Parts is Parts.
          John Thompson
          Ashland , Ky
          Sprint 900
        • Ed Walden
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2003
            I just wish Triumph, Honda, et al
            would make wheel rims the way God intended: either chrome spoke rims with
            polished spokes or polished aluminum rims!

            Ride safely and enjoy life.

            John Doak in Baltimore, MD

            John could you post some pics of the wheels both on the bike and off the bike. Sounds like a cool mod.
            Ed

          • Mik
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4, 2003
              During a gear change, David Wright <triumphman41@...> penned ...
              >Yes Haynes does make a manual. I don't know about the front wheel, but the
              >rear wheel is a breese to remove. You shouldn't have any problems.
              >I was thinking of having the wheels chromed.

              I would be very interested in hearing about this and seeing some before
              and after photo's.
              --
              Ò¿Ó Dame Edna : 1999 PB Trophy 4
              : 1994 Blk Speed III : Scotland
              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2003
                During a gear change, JohnHuntD@... penned ...
                >Since I bought my 2001 Torphy 1200 a month ago I have diskiked the
                >'industrial'-looking all-black wheels, so today I removed the front wheel to
                >strip the paint off the lip and polish it.

                Please post some details and photo's of this. I am also interested in
                how long the polish lasts.

                >I'm still puzzled why Trimuph doesn't include instructions in the Owners
                >Manual for removing the wheels and related torque specifications.
                >John Doak in Baltimore, MD

                The Triumph Service Manual covers it in detail ;o)

                The Torx bolts on the brake callipers are tightened to 40NM
                The 12mm Hex axel bolt tightens to 60NM
                The four pinch bolts to 20NM

                1NM = 0.8806 Ft/lb

                Use plenty of Copper slip (Never seize) during assembly and don't let
                the brake callipers dangle on the brake lines... ;o)

                --
                Ò¿Ó Dame Edna : 1999 PB Trophy 4
                : 1994 Blk Speed III : Scotland