Re: [TriumphTrophy] Chain variation

  • Ken Hastie
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
      On 1 Aug 00 at 2:58, Michael Hurst wrote:

      > You described your chain as loose in some sections and then getting
      > tight in others. You wondered whether this phenomenon was due to a
      > bearing. This latter possibility is quite unlikely. You would feel
      > like you were driving a very wobbly bike if it were true.
      >
      > Actually, all chains will have slight variations in tension.

      OK, time for a new chain I guess. Has anyone fitted one? The Haynes
      Manual says the chain is endless and the swingarm has to be
      dismantled to fit it. Anyone done this?

      What parts need to be ordered up in advance in the way of
      gaskets/seals etc?

      On another point, I am about to change the oil and filter as I am on
      6000 miles. Do the O-rings normally get changed as well in the
      disturbed parts of the engine? The manual says yes, but I wonder if
      they are being over-the-top cautious?

      Ken the Geordie
    • markfuchs@breathemail.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2000
        --- In TriumphTrophy@egroups.com, "Ken Hastie" <ken@h...> wrote:

        > OK, time for a new chain I guess. Has anyone fitted one? The Haynes
        > Manual says the chain is endless and the swingarm has to be
        > dismantled to fit it. Anyone done this?
        >
        > What parts need to be ordered up in advance in the way of
        > gaskets/seals etc?
        >
        > On another point, I am about to change the oil and filter as I am on
        > 6000 miles. Do the O-rings normally get changed as well in the disturbed
        > parts of the engine? The manual says yes, but I wonder if they are being > over-the-top cautious?
        >
        > Ken the Geordie

        Replacing The Chain (the easy way)

        There is no need to remove your swingarm to replace your chain.
        Invest in a chain breaker/riveter. Ensure you buy a high quality one
        or chances are you'll end up breaking the tool instead of the chain.

        Once you have broken the chain, simply connect the newchain to the
        old one usin the pins and feed through. Than simply place links
        together and rivet the pins and viola a nes chain. It should take you
        about thirty minutes.

        It is always a good idea to replace any o rings you disturb. Better
        safe than sorry. Oil leaks can be expensive!!

        Mark