Re: [TriumphTrophy] Centerstand Modifications

  • Mik
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 2, 2003
      During a gear change, Ed Walden <wale@...> penned ...
      > I just gently rock mine while yanking and it comes every time. I have
      >even done it barefooted. Ed

      Is this with your head in the fire bucket ... be careful, always wear
      something otherwise you could pass on athletes fanny ;o)
      --
      Ò¿Ó Dame Edna : 1999 PB Trophy 4
      : 1994 Blk Speed III : Scotland
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 2, 2003
        FSSB,
        I think in 1998 or 1999 there was an improvment to the center
        stand, check this out if so see if can be fitted to your machine!
        Tom D.

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "fairsuckofthesaucebottle"
        <bfinger@t...> wrote:
        > Has anyone experimented with modifications to the centerstand of
        > their Trophy to make it easier to get it on the stand? It really
        > hurts my back when I put it on the centerstand; I know you can roll
        > the bike onto a pice of wood to makeit easier, but thats not always
        > convenient. Perhaps I could cut about half an inch off the legs;
        > would that work? (97 900 Trophy)
      • Jamie Town
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 2, 2003
          At 10:52 AM 04/02/03 +0000, you wrote:
          >Has anyone experimented with modifications to the centerstand of
          >their Trophy to make it easier to get it on the stand? It really
          >hurts my back when I put it on the centerstand; I know you can roll
          >the bike onto a pice of wood to makeit easier, but thats not always
          >convenient. Perhaps I could cut about half an inch off the legs;
          >would that work? (97 900 Trophy)

          "Are you sure you're doin' it right?"

          I stand (not just press, _stand_) on the "foot-bar" and don't have to do
          much lifting on the handle. Gravity does most of the work. While I freely
          admit I've been going to the gym regularly for the last 9-10 months, I
          never had trouble before I started working out.

          Several people have suggested extending the "foot-bar", but I don't know if
          that would be the best route. That bar is already pretty long and we all
          know how levers work. That might put too much pressure on the left leg of
          the stand. There have been quite a few reports of center stands getting
          twisted during normal use. Probably better to cut the legs down and put
          new feet on.

          Jamie
        • Mik
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 2, 2003
            During a gear change, Jamie Town <jtown@...> penned ...
            >At 10:52 AM 04/02/03 +0000, you wrote:
            >>Perhaps I could cut about half an inch off the legs;
            >>would that work? (97 900 Trophy)
            >
            >"Are you sure you're doin' it right?"
            > cut the legs down and put
            >new feet on.
            >Jamie

            If you did that to me I would look like a beach ball with a head and
            besides i'd never be able to touch the floor which would be awkward at
            traffic lights.

            Mind you if you did this to Ken at least his stockings would fit
            properly ;o)
            --
            Ò¿Ó Dame Edna : 1999 PB Trophy 4
            : 1994 Blk Speed III : Scotland
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 2, 2003
              I learned if you lean back and give it a
              GOOD YANK and it will POP RIGHT UP with little trouble.
              Standing vertical and PULLING UP ON THE HANDLE is the HARD way, lean and PULL BACK.

              I know I can get some money for this script. Ed:o)

            • trumpettriple
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 2, 2003
                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Walden" <wale@c...> wrote:
                > When I first bought the trophy I used help every time I put it on
                > center stand.

                Ed: you were just telling us how you butch 1200cc dudes were going to kick
                sand in the face of all us weakling triple riders, and now you go and ruin the
                picture, telling us that you need help to put your bike on its centre stand. How
                does it work? Do you beep the horn and your Mrs runs out onto the drive and
                helps you into the garage, or do you call on neighbours?

                Mik: what was the setting rate on that concrete?

                TT
                99/900
                IBA 19410
              • Mik
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 2, 2003
                  During a gear change, trumpettriple <trumpettriple@...> penned
                  >--- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Walden" <wale@c...> wrote:
                  >> When I first bought the trophy I used help every time I put it on
                  >> center stand.

                  >Ed: you were just telling us how you butch 1200cc dudes were going to kick
                  >sand in the face of all us weakling triple riders, and now you go and ruin the
                  >picture, telling us that you need help to put your bike on its centre stand.
                  >Mik: what was the setting rate on that concrete?
                  >TT
                  >99/900
                  >IBA 19410

                  Groan - not fast enough obviously ..... ;o)
                  --
                  Ò¿Ó Dame Edna : 1999 PB Trophy 4
                  : 1994 Blk Speed III : Scotland
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 2, 2003
                    At 13:13 02/04/03 +0100, you wrote:snip (large)

                    >I press down the stand and balance the bike, fold out and grab the
                    >lifting bar and press down with my foot, lift up with my right hand and
                    >at the same time pull the bike back with my left hand from the handlebar
                    >- plop - no bother.
                    >--
                    > Ò¿Ó Dame Edna : 1999 PB Trophy 4
                    > : 1994 Blk Speed III : Scotland
                    >
                    > I agree with Mik, but you don't have to get the bike into the bathroom
                    > :-)) or maybe that's excertion we should't discuss on this forum.

                    BOAT Merlot 1200 Scotland
                  • tripletrophy1997
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 2, 2003
                      I would be concerned about stability. My rear tire only clears the
                      pavement by about 1/2", and to take that off the sidestand would
                      probably be asking for stability problems. I already worry about it
                      when parking on soft ground or asphalt.

                      Larry
                      97 900 BRG

                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 2, 2003
                        At 12:42 AM 04/03/03 +0000, you wrote:
                        >I would be concerned about stability. My rear tire only clears the
                        >pavement by about 1/2", and to take that off the sidestand would
                        >probably be asking for stability problems. I already worry about it
                        >when parking on soft ground or asphalt.

                        Just curious: How many people use the center stand when you park? I only
                        use it when I need to clean/lube the chain, spin the wheels, etc. I never
                        use it when I'm out and about. It just seems it would be too easy for
                        someone to knock it over.

                        Jamie
                      • Norman Bunn
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 2, 2003
                          At 08:18 PM 4/2/2003, you wrote:
                          >At 12:42 AM 04/03/03 +0000, you wrote:
                          > >I would be concerned about stability. My rear tire only clears the
                          > >pavement by about 1/2", and to take that off the sidestand would
                          > >probably be asking for stability problems. I already worry about it
                          > >when parking on soft ground or asphalt.
                          >
                          >Just curious: How many people use the center stand when you park? I only
                          >use it when I need to clean/lube the chain, spin the wheels, etc. I never
                          >use it when I'm out and about. It just seems it would be too easy for
                          >someone to knock it over.
                          >
                          >Jamie

                          Same here. Sidestand 99% of the time. Centerstand for maintenance only.

                          Norman
                          '99 1200 PB
                        • Ed Walden
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 2, 2003
                            Ed: you were just telling us how you butch 1200cc dudes were going to kick
                            sand in the face of all us weakling triple riders, and now you go and ruin the
                            picture, telling us that you need help to put your bike on its centre stand. How
                            does it work? Do you beep the horn and your Mrs runs out onto the drive and
                            helps you into the garage, or do you call on neighbours?

                            Mik: what was the setting rate on that concrete?

                            TT
                            99/900
                            IBA 19410

                            Sorry but I do not ever need help to get it up. My biggest problem is keeping it down. That was not me. Actually I beep the horn and ask permission to put my filthy bike in the garage. Hmmm that kinda sounds familiar to me. You know make noise and ask permission ........
                            Ed:o)

                          • Ed Walden
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 2, 2003
                              Same here. Sidestand 99% of the time. Centerstand for maintenance only.

                              Norman
                              '99 1200 PB

                              Maintenance and to make more room in my wife's garage.
                              Ed:o)

                            • tallfrog74
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 2, 2003
                                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Ed K <magilla71@y...> wrote:

                                > --- Brian Warburton <Brian@O...> wrote:
                                > > I weigh > 200lbs and still have trouble getting my
                                > > '92 Trophy up onto the
                                > > stand

                                I weigh about 145lbs, and have no trouble. lean and pull. ;-}
                              • Steven Kirk
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 2, 2003
                                  At 00:39 03/04/2003 +0100, you wrote
                                  > > I agree with Mik, but you don't have to get the bike into the bathroom
                                  > > :-)) or maybe that's excertion we should't discuss on this forum.
                                  >

                                  >BOAT Merlot 1200 Scotland

                                  I thought the threat of you standing on the center stand would be enough to
                                  get the bike to leap up onto it its self ;p)))

                                  ~Steve~
                                • Mik
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 3, 2003
                                    During a gear change, Jamie Town <jtown@...> penned ...
                                    >Just curious: How many people use the center stand when you park? I only
                                    >use it when I need to clean/lube the chain, spin the wheels, etc. I never
                                    >use it when I'm out and about.
                                    >Jamie

                                    I'm the same - when in the garage she's on her centre stand - when out
                                    and about the side stand.
                                    --
                                    Ò¿Ó Dame Edna : 1999 PB Trophy 4
                                    : 1994 Blk Speed III : Scotland
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 3, 2003
                                      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Mik <trophy@s...> wrote:
                                      > During a gear change, Jamie Town <jtown@p...> penned ...
                                      > >Just curious: How many people use the center stand when you
                                      park?

                                      99% of the time; Centre Stand.
                                      Side Stand as a last resort.
                                      i feel this is best safe practice.
                                      in my experience- any bike parked up is viewed as a public toy that
                                      parents are quite within their rights to let "little Johhny" use as
                                      a climbing frame. even at times encouraging them and lifting them up
                                      on to it!!!
                                      [what i REALLY, really want is a sticker/decal made up that says;
                                      "Certainly you may run your hands over my bike...if i may run my
                                      bike over your hands"]

                                      eM.
                                      *VERY p1ssed off with non biking people*
                                    • trophykev
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 4, 2003
                                        My 92 Trophy has the ordinary stand and no lifting handle to help.
                                        I was taught to keep your heel up and push down with your foot as
                                        though walking up stairs. The hands are only to balance the bike and
                                        shouldnt be used to pull the bike (that hurts your back)
                                        In the absence of a lifting handle i hold the rear footpeg. Since
                                        doing this I dont have a problem. Trying to pull the weight back....
                                        no way.
                                      • Brian Warburton
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 4, 2003
                                          Mine's a '92 with no handle either, maybe that's contributing to my problem
                                          (well this problem at least !). Thanks for the footpeg tip, I'll give that a
                                          try although the rear rack looks like it might provide a useful handhold as
                                          well !

                                          Regards, Brian

                                          > My 92 Trophy has the ordinary stand and no lifting handle to help.
                                          > I was taught to keep your heel up and push down with your foot as
                                          > though walking up stairs. The hands are only to balance the bike and
                                          > shouldnt be used to pull the bike (that hurts your back)
                                          > In the absence of a lifting handle i hold the rear footpeg. Since
                                          > doing this I dont have a problem. Trying to pull the weight back....
                                          > no way.

                                          http://www.star.net.uk
                                        • mharris13
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 4, 2003
                                            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Town <jtown@p...> wrote:
                                            Just curious: How many people use the center stand when you park?

                                            All the time, every time. Very rarely do I use the sidestand. In
                                            fact, I had to focus on the amount of "effort" it takes - maybe 4
                                            pounds of pressure up and back - very easy. Definately a technique
                                            issue and not one of brute force. Kinda like the 900 vs. 1200...

                                            Mark
                                            Sprint Exec
                                          • BRIAN EASTON
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Apr 4, 2003
                                              At 20:31 02/04/03 -0800, you wrote:
                                              >Same here. Sidestand 99% of the time. Centerstand for maintenance only.
                                              >
                                              >Norman
                                              >'99 1200 PB
                                              >

                                              >Maintenance and to make more room in my wife's garage.
                                              >Ed:o)
                                              Sidestand for short duration stops, but centre stand with sidestand
                                              down, just in case, for storage or long term park. Belt and braces approach.

                                              BOAT
                                            • BRIAN EASTON
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Apr 4, 2003
                                                At 08:49 03/04/03 +0100, you wrote:
                                                >At 00:39 03/04/2003 +0100, you wrote
                                                > > > I agree with Mik, but you don't have to get the bike into the bathroom
                                                > > > :-)) or maybe that's excertion we should't discuss on this forum.
                                                > >

                                                > >BOAT Merlot 1200 Scotland
                                                >
                                                >I thought the threat of you standing on the center stand would be enough to
                                                >get the bike to leap up onto it its self ;p)))
                                                >
                                                >~Steve~
                                                >
                                                >Hey, I resemble that remark, I'm fading away to a mountain, cause I've
                                                >lost over a stone.
                                                In training for the Highland Raid in June, we are wearing kilts
                                                aren't we? Apart from Mik and Ken who'll no doubt be wearing a little black
                                                leather number. :-)

                                                small BOAT (NEARLY A DINGHY)