Trophy Problems

  • vbookshelf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 21, 2000
      Anybody experienced this problem?:

      My 1999 Trophy 900 runs great with excellent response and mid-range, good gas
      mileage (45mpg ave) etc.,...but when I get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic
      for 10 minutes, it begins missing and fouling plugs. The plugs never clear
      totally up once this happens and it continues to stumble at low engine speeds.

      It is under warranty so I took it back to the dealer and they pulled the
      carbs and all seemed in order so they changed the plugs (fouled) and it ran
      great until I got stuck in heavy traffic again (yesterday). Fortunately I was
      near the dealer so I let the owner ride it and see for himself. They are
      stumped, "never seen this problem before" and said they would call Triumph
      in Atlanta and try to get a handle on the problem. On both occasions, it was
      a hot day but the temperature light (if it really exists) never flickered.

      I am not real confident in the dealer's ability to sort this out. Any ideas
      out there?
      Ross in north Florida.
    • Joe Swinsick
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 21, 2000
        --- In TriumphTrophy@egroups.com, vbookshelf@a... wrote:
        > Anybody experienced this problem?:
        >
        > My 1999 Trophy 900 runs great with excellent response and mid-range, good gas
        > mileage (45mpg ave) etc.,...but when I get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic
        > for 10 minutes, it begins missing and fouling plugs. The plugs never clear
        > totally up once this happens and it continues to stumble at low engine speeds.
        > ...pulled the carbs and all seemed in order so they changed the plugs (fouled)
        > and it ran great until I got stuck in heavy traffic again (yesterday).....
        > On both occasions, it was a hot day but the temperature light (if it really > exists) never flickered.
        .......> Ross in north Florida. (Repeated message edited by MWH)

        Ross,
        Is the choke on at all!
        I have fouled the plugs on several occasions by simply reving the motor with the choke slightly on. Hope that helps.
        Joe Swinsick in north Alabama
        '96 Trident 900
        '96 Trophy 1200
      • Mike Sachs
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 21, 2000
          At 09:51 AM 7/21/2000 EDT, you wrote:
          >Anybody experienced this problem?:
          >.... it begins missing and fouling plugs.....

          If you don't routinely pull the choke all the way, there have been cases of
          the enrichener plunger getting stuck and not letting the enrichener all the
          way off.
          ??

          Mike Sachs
          Decatur, GA
          "Just shut up and go everywhere, because you won't
          know until you've been there." (airyn, 1998)
        • Beardg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 21, 2000
            In a message dated 7/21/2000 8:59:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            michael@... writes:

            << >Anybody experienced this problem?:
            >.... it begins missing and fouling plugs.....

            If you don't routinely pull the choke all the way, there have been cases of
            the enrichener plunger getting stuck and not letting the enrichener all the
            way off.
            ??

            Mike Sachs >>
            This happened to me!! and it took a while to get it right. The choke was
            returning but not all the way ONLY ON THE LAST CARB! Seems I never use full
            choke and when it went to the shop they whacked it full closed......and got
            it stuck. WD-40 did the trick.
            My bike would also stall when applying heavy front brake......
            DaveL.
          • rmurdoch@magma.ca
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 27, 2001
              Is it necessary to replace fouled plugs? Can you not just clean them?

              While installing/testing/removing a throttle lock I managed to
              horribly flood the carbs. It took forever to start - using full
              throttle. It ran OK, but made a 'knocking' sound and is still
              somewhat difficult to start.

              The worst part is that I'm leaving on my first long distance trip
              (3,000+ KM) to our east coast in 3 days! I must address this problem.
              Any help is very much appreciated.

              I love this forum and read most of the posts religously...

              Ron
              '00 Triumph Trophy 900 BRG

              --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "Joe Swinsick" <Joseph.Swinsick@P...> wrote:
              > --- In TriumphTrophy@egroups.com, vbookshelf@a... wrote:
              > > Anybody experienced this problem?:
              > >
              > > My 1999 Trophy 900 runs great with excellent response and mid-range,good gas mileage (45mpg ave) etc.,...but when I get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 10 minutes, it begins missing and fouling plugs. The plugs never clear totally up once this happens and it continues to stumble at low engine speeds.
              > > ...pulled the carbs and all seemed in order so they changed the plugs (fouled) and it ran great until I got stuck in heavy traffic again (yesterday).....
              > > On both occasions, it was a hot day but the temperature light (if it really > exists) never flickered.
              > .......> Ross in north Florida. (Repeated message edited by MWH)
              >
              > Ross,
              > Is the choke on at all!
              > I have fouled the plugs on several occasions by simply reving the
              motor with the choke slightly on. Hope that helps.
              > Joe Swinsick in north Alabama
              > '96 Trident 900
              > '96 Trophy 1200
            • Mike Johnston
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 27, 2001
                Make sure to check the oil. After flooding the carbs, it's possible that
                quite a bit of gas got into the crankcase, thinning the oil dangerously!
                Don't ask how I learned this...

                Mike J
                Once and Future Trophyist

                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2012
                  All newbies should check out this web site. Here is the most complete
                  documentation of Trophy problems I've seen yet!

                  http://atrophy.lock.net/do/misfire.php

                  Ed J.

                  2001 Triumph Trophy 1200

                  Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937