Re: [TriumphTrophy] Scotland Raid, accommodation

  • Ken Hastie
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2003
      On 28 Feb 03 at 16:52, Steven Kirk wrote:

      > Change of plan guys. The campsite in Fort William has still not
      > replied to my request for information on taking our group. So I
      > called a site in Applecross that Ken had recommended, quick phone
      > call later no problem no need to book (but he took details anyway)
      > cost will be no more than £5.50 per head. This means we will be
      > covering a few more miles the first day but as your all hardened
      > touring riders I'm sure this will be no problem :p)

      And I am sure you will not regret taking the road to Applecross. Joe
      Swinsick and I took that road last year, and it is quite spectacular
      with it's hairpins etc. You will also pass the Eilan Donan Castle,
      one of the most picturesque castles in Scotland, and the subject of
      many films. Featured in Braveheart.

      The campsite was pretty ace as well, and a nice pizzeria in the
      covered garden area. Oh, yes...remember your midge (gnat) repellent
      !

      Avon Skin-so-soft worked well for both Joe and I !

      Ken the Geordie
    • trumpettriple <trumpettriple@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 28, 2003
        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Steven Kirk <mail@t...> wrote:
        > Change of plan guys. I called a site in Applecross that Ken had
        recommended. <snip>

        > ~Steve~
        >
        > Interesting links
        > http://www.applecross.net/
        > http://www.applecross-coast.co.uk/peninsula/

        Steve,
        I checked the Applecross peninsula site: looks realy beautiful. I
        wish I was there to join you. Lets hope you can pull off some "David
        Cohenesque" photography and show that its not just New Zealand with
        beautiful scenery.

        TT (from a cold, totally shagged-out-with-snow (and more in the
        forecast) Pennsylvania.
      • taylorguk <richard.taylor@corusgroup.com>
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Steven Kirk <mail@t...> wrote:
          > Change of plan guys. The campsite in Fort William has still not
          replied to
          > my request for information on taking our group.
          > ~Steve~

          That's strange, 'cos I'm sure they're open all year round (for the
          caravanners.)
          Biker-friendly site too, there were plenty there* when I stayed with
          my family in Aug '01.
          *Including one guy on a BMW who had ridden all the way from Australia!

          Applecross looks good though - so long as it's not 'dry'?

          Richard T.
        • Steven Kirk
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
            At 09:12 01/03/2003 +0000, you wrote:
            >--- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Steven Kirk <mail@t...> wrote:
            > > Change of plan guys. The campsite in Fort William has still not
            >replied to
            > > my request for information on taking our group.
            > > ~Steve~
            >
            >That's strange, 'cos I'm sure they're open all year round (for the
            >caravanners.)
            >Biker-friendly site too, there were plenty there* when I stayed with
            >my family in Aug '01.
            >*Including one guy on a BMW who had ridden all the way from Australia!
            >
            >Applecross looks good though - so long as it's not 'dry'?
            >
            >Richard T.

            I will attempt to contact the gods of rain to make sure we get a deluge ;o)
            The problem with Glen Nevis is they wont automatically except "groups" I
            phoned and e-mailed them to enquire if they would except us, no response to
            the e-mail and the result of the phone call was they sent me a brochure ?
            Ken suggested Applecross and the guy there couldn't have been more helpful
            also they have on site B&B and static caravans for those softees that need
            there creature comforts ;p)
            ~Steve~
          • Steven Kirk
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
              At 20:42 28/02/2003 +0000, you wrote:
              >Steve,
              >I checked the Applecross peninsula site: looks realy beautiful. I
              >wish I was there to join you. Lets hope you can pull off some "David
              >Cohenesque" photography and show that its not just New Zealand with
              >beautiful scenery.
              >
              >TT (from a cold, totally shagged-out-with-snow (and more in the
              >forecast) Pennsylvania.

              I used to think Scotland had bad weather till I heard storys from you
              American boys!
              Im sure we will have a few pictures for the group when we get back from the
              raid.
              ~Steve~
            • Joe Swinsick <earthfirst35824@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2003
                "The road to Applecross"
                Sounds like a bit of an adventure doesn't it?! Perhaps the highlight
                of my ride in Scotland and the UK (other than the young lasses in
                Newcastle!). If it were not for the small turn outs (maybe 2 feet wide
                X 6 feet long), every several hundred feet, a car and motorcyle could
                not pass one another. On a clear day, I could not imagine a more
                breathtaking road to ride (at very slow speeds).
                The campground was great and the covered garden (restaurant/bar) is a
                hoot. Watch out for the bartender though (from Canada), he does pour
                quite a stiff drink. Had some difficulty finding my tent at the end of
                the evening.
                Joe Swinsick
                LA, CA

                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Hastie" <ken@h...> wrote:
                And I am sure you will not regret taking the road to Applecross.
                Joe Swinsick and I took that road last year, and it is quite
                spectacular with it's hairpins etc. You will also pass the Eilan
                Donan Castle, one of the most picturesque castles in Scotland, and the
                subject of many films. Featured in Braveheart.
                The campsite was pretty ace as well, and a nice pizzeria in the
                covered garden area. Oh, yes...remember your midge (gnat) repellent!
                Avon Skin-so-soft worked well for both Joe and I !
                Ken the Geordie
              • Mark Berry
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 5, 2003
                  Ahhhh, you would be referring to me then.......

                  At least I had the good sense to....... Ah.... Never mind.