Re: Tacho LED

  • Niall Guiver
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2000
      --- In TriumphTrophy@egroups.com, jwratmaster@w... wrote:
      > Niall got the Tacho LED to work on a non factory alarm.
      >
      > Hey Niall,
      > Nice job. Do you think you could identify exactly which wire you tied into? > And how much voltage feeds that wire? Love to know how to access that little > bugger. It would make a nice shift light, like on the Aprilia's.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jonathan West
      > 97 triple
      > 95 quad

      On my '97 1200 the wires to the alarm LED are coloured black/white
      and orange. They terminate at a white connector which I assume plugs
      into the factory alarm. The connector is in the fairing on the left
      hand side along with another much larger alarm connector.

      As far as voltage required - I don't realy know - I'd test it using a
      couple of dry cell (1.5 volt) batteries.

      IMPORTANT POINT. An LED does not work like a normal bulb. When it is
      conducting electricity it has almost no resistance and will allow a
      large current to pass which will fry it in a fracton of a second
      unless you first limit the current with an in line resistor. Ignore
      this and you WILL blow the LED in the Tacho !!!!

      Niall