Of air boxes and K&N filters

  • Mik
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2003
      Well - recently purchased K&N filter (TB9091) doesn't fit - the website
      says it is the right one, as do K&N's technical support (technical
      support !!!! - well they can read the parts list ...).

      My airbox has two screws at each end which are not catered for by the
      K&N filter which appears to be expecting a single, centrally located
      screw.

      Anyone else had this problem ?
      Did Triumph change the airbox at some stage ?
      --
      Ò¿Ó Dame Edna : 1999 PB Trophy 4
    • christate13477 <chris@c-tate.freeserve.c
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Mik <trophy@s...> wrote:
        > Well - recently purchased K&N filter (TB9091) doesn't fit

        Mik

        Jack Lilley's website says the TB9091 "fits in the airbox" - not much
        help I'm, afraid, except it confirms you have the right part. They
        quote the same part for current and early Trophies. I seem to
        recollect having seen something in the archives where somebody had to
        tinker with things to get it all to fit.

        Chris
      • Steve Kirk
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
          At 02:35 03/01/2003 +0000, you wrote:

          >Well - recently purchased K&N filter (TB9091) doesn't fit - the website
          >says it is the right one, as do K&N's technical support (technical
          >support !!!! - well they can read the parts list ...).
          >
          >My airbox has two screws at each end which are not catered for by the
          >K&N filter which appears to be expecting a single, centrally located
          >screw.
          >
          >Anyone else had this problem ?
          >Did Triumph change the airbox at some stage ?
          >--
          > Ò¿Ó Dame Edna : 1999 PB Trophy 4

          Looks like if memory serves me right my 92 Trophy4 had a single located screw
          ~Steve~

        • christate13477 <chris@c-tate.freeserve.c
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "christate13477 <chris@c...>"
            <chris@c...> wrote:
            > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Mik <trophy@s...> wrote:
            > > Well - recently purchased K&N filter (TB9091) doesn't fit

            > I seem to recollect having seen something in the archives where
            >somebody had to tinker with things to get it all to fit.

            Or maybe it was in the Magpie list I saw it - see Mad Max's message
            of 2 Jan 2003 at:

            <URL=http://www.magpie.com/showdigest.php?list=triumph>

            Chris
            (Hesitating and taking a deep breath before quoting a URL to Mik)

            (Ken Hastie note: For what it's worth, I definitely recall something in the dim and distant past on THIS list mentioning that it had to be modified to make it fit)
          • BWG3COY@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
              trophy@... writes:

              > Anyone else had this problem ?
              > Did Triumph change the airbox at some stage ?
              > --
              > Ò¿Ó Dame Edna : 1999 PB Trophy 4

              I asked this K&N question a short while ago. It was because I heard that they
              are apparently everlasting? I heard that the airbox had to be split to
              accommodate the filter. It was apparently a difficult job and that is why I
              put the question to the forum.
              Love to hear the result
              HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL AND GOD BLESS YOU FOR 2003

            • Steve Kirk
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
                At 09:57 03/01/2003 -0500, you wrote:

                >In a message dated 03/01/2003 09:10:27 GMT Standard Time,
                >trophy@... writes:
                >

                > > Anyone else had this problem ?
                > > Did Triumph change the airbox at some stage ?
                > > --
                > > Ò¿Ó Dame Edna : 1999 PB Trophy 4
                > >

                >I asked this K&N question a short while ago. It was because I heard that they
                >are apparently everlasting? I heard that the airbox had to be split to
                >accommodate the filter. It was apparently a difficult job and that is why I
                >put the question to the forum.
                >Love to hear the result

                Most awkward air filter i've ever had to remove but the easiest set of
                carbs from a multi.
                Once the carbs are out of the way its a piece of cake. K&N's do last
                1,000,000 miles but its recommended that they are oiled occasionally.
                HTH
                ~Steve~

              • Bob Swaim <swaimbo@ntsb.gov>
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
                  [snipped]
                  > > > Well - recently purchased K&N filter (TB9091) doesn't fit
                  > > I seem to recollect having seen something in the archives where
                  > >somebody had to tinker with things to get it all to fit.
                  > >
                  > (Ken Hastie note: For what it's worth, I definitely recall
                  something in the dim and distant past on THIS list mentioning that it
                  had to be modified to make it fit)

                  I remember it as well and would suggest searching for messages from
                  about 8-10 months ago.

                  Bob
                • motoworld2001 <motoworld2001@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
                    Mik,
                    Carefully notch out the area of the filter that prevents the
                    installation of the K&N. Yes everyone of the Trophy's that I've seen
                    has had this same anomaly. Do not forget to install larger jets (1 or
                    2 sizes larger just for the filter), also if you have Mikuni carbs
                    you can call Jack Lilley and get a DYNO Jet Kit for your machine. Doe
                    you have freer flowing exhaust? More fuel for this also.
                    Tom D.
                    PS: Even float level is the base line for carb set-up!

                  • BWG3COY@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 4, 2003
                      mail@... writes:

                      > Once the carbs are out of the way its a piece of cake. K&N's do last
                      > 1,000,000 miles but its recommended that they are oiled occasionally.
                      > HTH
                      > ~Steve~

                      Steve
                      You mention that they need oiling? Can that be done without removing the
                      airbox? ie: some sort of modification?
                      Cofion (regards)

                      John Bonnewell. Secretary/Treasurer. Blue Knights Wales 1 (Cymru1)
                      <A HREF="http://www.bkwales1.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm">Blue Knights Wales 1</A>

                    • BWG3COY@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 4, 2003
                        Hey DE
                        Just checked your website from our files. May I say that there is a great
                        deal of useful information on there I am impressed with your Scoot too.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 4, 2003
                          At 19:02 03/01/2003 +0000, you wrote:

                          >Mik,
                          > Carefully notch out the area of the filter that prevents the
                          >installation of the K&N. Yes everyone of the Trophy's that I've seen
                          >has had this same anomaly. Do not forget to install larger jets (1 or
                          >2 sizes larger just for the filter),

                          First ive heard of installing larger main jets when fitting
                          replacement K&N filter (?)
                          My 92 Trophy ran a K&N with standard jetting no problem.
                          ~Steve~
                          95 Trophy4

                        • Mik
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 4, 2003
                            During a gear change, "christate13477 <chris@...>"
                            <chris@...> penned ...
                            >Or maybe it was in the Magpie list I saw it - see Mad Max's message
                            >of 2 Jan 2003 at:
                            > <URL=http://www.magpie.com/showdigest.php?list=triumph>
                            >Chris
                            >(Hesitating and taking a deep breath before quoting a URL to Mik)

                            Beautifully presented URL - doesn't go anywhere, but the format was
                            perfect ;o)

                            It appears that the K&N filter doesn't fit the Trophy 1200 airbox (or
                            any Triumph airbox) that has two screws at each end.

                            I can see that by carefully cutting out part of the filter and adding
                            some (carefully placed) silicone it can be made to fit and provide an
                            airtight seal. But that is not the point - K&N advertise that it fits -
                            their technical support personnel (I told the last one I spoke to to
                            "get a job at Wendy's") tell me it "will fit perfectly" - to be honest I
                            think they are cluless which doesn't fill me with confidence about their
                            filters ......

                            I will be talking to the UK office on Monday ......
                            --
                            Ò¿Ó Dame Edna : 1999 PB Trophy 4
                          • Mik
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 4, 2003
                              During a gear change, "motoworld2001 <motoworld2001@...>"
                              <motoworld2001@...> penned ...
                              > Do not forget to install larger jets (1 or
                              >2 sizes larger just for the filter), also if you have Mikuni carbs
                              >you can call Jack Lilley and get a DYNO Jet Kit for your machine. Doe
                              >you have freer flowing exhaust? More fuel for this also.
                              >Tom D.

                              I was thinking of simply adding the filter without re-jetting at this
                              stage - I understand it will be necessary if (when ;o) I fit more free
                              flowing exhausts - but not just for the filter ?

                              --
                              Ò¿Ó Dame Edna : 1999 PB Trophy 4