Mystery engine stopping update

  • Kelly Bonavia
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2000
      I had the dealer check out the fuel vent line, remove the tank and
      all and there didn't seem to be anything crimped. The vent line is clear
      and everything else seems to be normal. I rode back home which is
      about 12 miles in 95 degree heat at 4,000 to 5,000 rpm to test it and
      it did not stop running or surge or have less power like it does
      right before it stopped running before. Of course, you know it will stop on
      me about 200 miles outside of town at night in the rain without
      notice. Next week, I'm scheduled for my 12k service which is great
      considering my bike has 15k on it. I changed the oil at 10,800.
      Hopefully, the fuel vent gremlin can be bannished from the bike once
      it is torn down for tuning. Any other ideas on this intermittent
      problem would be greatly appreciated. Kelly Bonavia 96 1200
    • Mike Sachs
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1 7:26 AM
        At 12:54 AM 6/1/2000 -0000, Kelly Bonavia wrote:
        >I had the dealer check out the fuel vent line, remove the tank and
        >all and there didn't seem to be anything crimped....
        > Any other ideas on this intermittent
        >problem would be greatly appreciated.

        Does it happen when your tank bag is on? Mine would seal up the cap vent
        when it rained. Solved it temporarily by placing a folded shop rag between
        the cap and the bag pad.

        Mike Sachs
        Decatur, GA
        "Just shut up and go everywhere, because you won't
        know until you've been there." (airyn, 1998)
      • Kelly Bonavia
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2 7:42 PM
          > At 12:54 AM 6/1/2000 -0000, Kelly Bonavia wrote: I had the dealer check out > the fuel vent line, remove the tank and all and there didn't seem to be > anything crimped.... Any other ideas on this intermittent problem would be > greatly appreciated.
          >
          >> Does it happen when your tank bag is on? Mine would seal up the cap vent
          >> when it rained. Solved it temporarily by placing a folded shop rag between
          >> the cap and the bag pad. > Mike Sachs > Decatur, GA

          Mike- I thought about the tank bag and took it off thinking wouldn't
          be nice if this was the problem? It isn't. It still happens with the
          bag off. I have received other possible solutions and am going to
          present them to the dealer next Wednesday. Thanks for your idea.
          Kelly Bonavia