Draft Article

  • David Cohen
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
      Draft for my 'payola piece' - Vege is the Publisher and Bentman
      the editor of Kiwi Rider. (as explaned elsewhere in the Mag)

      The accompanying pictures are
      http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/onstand500px.jpg
      http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/gauges1.jpg
      -------------------
      'Are you sure that putting Sports Compound Azaros on the
      Trophy is the right thing to do?' I asked Vege.
      'Yes' he said 'Avon want some real world feedback and
      evaluation, they'll cop what you've got to say'
      'But I'm 150kg and mostly ride this bike two up, and I generally
      flog it' I mumbled thinking something along the lines of a gift
      horses mouth.
      'Nah, just ride with them and give us an honest report'
      'But sport compounds?' I questioned with the last of my
      resistance. 'They'll be 'shagged' in no time?'
      'Mate, I think they'll surprise you. They've got blokes on the
      sport-touring compounds that are getting incredible mileage.'
      'Oh...OK then' My mind now leaping ahead to the November
      Triumph Club RAT Raid and the Waipoua Forest roads.
      'Good, get up and see Kerry at Motomail'

      The 'Platform'
      They Azaro AV50 SP's (Front120/70 and Rear 170/60) have been
      fitted to the bike commonly referred to in the RAT Club as 'The
      Battlestar'. It started life as a 1998 Trophy 1200 and has been
      steadily 'sportified' since I bought it a year and a bit ago. It has
      Ohlins rear shock and fork springs, runs Daytona cams, high
      compression pistons, K&N Filter, dynojet kit, and some throaty
      Neptune Mufflers and while it hasn't been on the Dyno, similarly
      equipped machines produce 135+ ponies.

      Your correspondent produces the ads for Auckland Motorcycles
      and Power Sports, and subsequently pushes a heck of a lot of
      motorcycles around the showroom for photographs. The
      Trophies are one of the heaviest bikes I have to move, whilst not
      in the same class as the fully dressed Americans, they're no
      light-heavyweights either.

      It is, however, a great sports-tourer for a large bloke and with my
      considerable bulk aboard, will certainly give the new 'Doughnuts'
      a true torture test. They were fitted with 40,226km on the clock
      and counting!

      First Impressions
      Kerry is good value and fitted them quickly and efficiently while I
      took pot shots at his BMW addiction. Bentman had a go at me for
      using cliches on a 'Born to Ride' TV shoot and I'm reluctant to
      use 'aggressive looking tread pattern' so, they are Black, Round
      and made of Rubber?

      The 170 on the back looks plenty fat enough, and I have tried a
      180 in the past but the bike didn't turn nearly as well as the
      standard. Kerry said 'run 35psi in the front and 38 in the back -
      and if 'it's having a bit of a shuffle - nip up the preload'

      I hate to think how many new front tyres I've had over the past 32
      years of zoomin', but it still amazes me how much improvement
      there is when you do fit a new one. Why didn't I do this
      sooner...Oh! look at that - it doesn't fall into the corners any more.

      First ride impression are good, solid feel - dare's me to tip it in,
      but next few weeks will tell.

      So, sorry in advance to the RAT boys and girls - I'm not getting
      completely anal about air pressures, *I've* got a job to do. I'll
      keep you posted.
      ----------------------------------

      cheers
      David
    • taylorguk
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
        --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "David Cohen" <dmcohen@i...> wrote:
        > The accompanying pictures are
        > http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/onstand500px.jpg

        David - how do you get that 'satin-finish' look to your bike's
        bodywork? (How come no reflections from the workshop lights?)
        - Or is it just a combination of the platinum paint and your expert
        photography?

        Richard T.
      • David Cohen
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
          > David - how do you get that 'satin-finish' look to your bike's
          > bodywork? (How come no reflections from the workshop
          lights?)
          > - Or is it just a combination of the platinum paint and your
          expert
          > photography?

          It's actually quite well polished at the moment, Richard.
          Just a 'trick' of the flourescent lights. I hadn't noticed but you're
          right., it does look satin.

          Reminds me of Janet's very blonde friend, Virginia. She once
          decided to do her boyfriend a good turn and removed the tar
          spots off his duco with some soap and steel wool. I believe she
          later remarked 'But it looked so good when it was wet!'

          (and you can leave *that* quote alone thanks Mik ;-0 )

          cheers
          DC
        • motoworld2001
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
            David,
            I've been riding on Michelin Sport Pilots since the "TT
            AMERICA" and feel as if they have served me well. They are considered
            a sport tire and have been able to get some decent mileage out of them
            with the 2 rear tires and 1 front tire ratio. The last I looked I
            think I had about 5000 miles on the front and les than half that on
            the 2nd rear.
            Tom D. USA

            --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "David Cohen" <dmcohen@i...> wrote:
            > Draft for my 'payola piece' - Vege is the Publisher and Bentman
            > the editor of Kiwi Rider. (as explaned elsewhere in the Mag)

            > 'Are you sure that putting Sports Compound Azaros on the
            > Trophy is the right thing to do?' I asked Vege.
            > 'Yes' he said 'Avon want some real world feedback
            > cheers
            > David
          • David Cohen
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
              --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "motoworld2001"
              <motoworld2001@y...> wrote:
              > David,
              > I've been riding on Michelin Sport Pilots since the "TT
              > AMERICA"

              Interesting Tom,
              I've just had a run around the city and a bit of freeway and a bit of
              rain, and I'd say the Azaros are 'confidence inspiring' - Michelins
              the same?
              DC
            • motoworld2001
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
                David,
                Very much so! But we are planing another trip down the Blue Ridge
                Parkway in May and I think I will put on a set of Pirelli Dragon
                GTS's, these have been an all around great tire. This year when 6 of
                us did the same trip and rode the Tail of the Dragon a few days, one
                of the guys had a set of Dragons on his Sprint ST and he was pushing
                hard! So hard that he basicly heald off a VFR 800 and a R1100S. When I
                had used the Dragons on the Trophy I would get 7-9000 miles on a pair,
                since then the motor was improved and I have not tried another set
                yet. So it will be a coin toss for the next brand of tires I have
                installed.
                Tom D. USA
                Look here:
                http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/
                http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

                --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "David Cohen" <dmcohen@i...> wrote:
                > --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "motoworld2001"
                > <motoworld2001@y...> wrote:
                > > David,
                > > I've been riding on Michelin Sport Pilots since the "TT
                > > AMERICA"
                >
                > Interesting Tom,
                > I've just had a run around the city and a bit of freeway and a bit
                of
                > rain, and I'd say the Azaros are 'confidence inspiring' - Michelins
                > the same?
                > DC
              • taylorguk
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2002
                  --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "motoworld2001" <motoworld2001@y...> wrote:
                  > But we are planing another trip down the Blue Ridge
                  > Parkway in May and I think I will put on a set of Pirelli Dragon
                  > GTS's, these have been an all around great tire. This year when 6
                  of
                  > us did the same trip and rode the Tail of the Dragon a few days,
                  one
                  > of the guys had a set of Dragons on his Sprint ST and he was
                  pushing
                  > hard! So hard that he basicly heald off a VFR 800 and a R1100S.
                  > http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

                  So would it be reasonable to assume the 45mph speed limit isn't
                  rigourously enforced? ;-)
                  (Follow your link to 'park regulations' page!)

                  Richard T.
                • Bob Swaim
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
                    VFR 800 and a R1100S. http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

                    > So would it be reasonable to assume the 45mph speed limit isn't
                    > rigourously enforced? ;-)
                    > (Follow your link to 'park regulations' page!)

                    The problem with the BRP is getting stuck behind cars & campers on a
                    2-lane road. For you Europeans, imagine the slow-downs created by
                    cars pulling camper trailers on the autobahn, the day after the Dutch
                    schools let out for summer. Otherwise, between radar detectors and
                    radios, some people do exceed the limit on a regular basis.

                    Which brings up a question that is pertinent for winter
                    modifications. I'm interested in installing a MP3 or music radio,
                    plus a CB or FRS, and maybe an intercom (although some FRS can be
                    used for this, too). I always wear ear plugs. A friend with a K12RS
                    has a set-up like this and uses an amplifier with helmet speakers,
                    but he has about $400 in his electronics, which is beyond my budget.
                    I'd love to hear about what electronics some of you have and how you
                    hooked them up.

                    Bob
                    '95 Sprint