Trophy footpegs

  • mwhurst@xxxx.xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 1999
      I saw a couple of mentions of loose footpegs for Trophies on the
      Digest. Any one else experience this and under what conditions?
      I can only imagine that a cure includes using Locktite or
      something similar.
    • Tony Angco
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 1999
        > I saw a couple of mentions of loose footpegs for Trophies on the
        > Digest. Any one else experience this and under what conditions?
        > I can only imagine that a cure includes using Locktite or
        > something similar.

        I had the same problem. I was tipped off to the problem by my friend who
        works for a Triumph dealer. I checked mine and sure enough they were loose.
        It's a bear getting into the bolt heads with a hex wrench, even a 3/8 drive
        was tough [a flex-universal and shortening the hex portion did it]. It helps
        to loosen the chain adjustment to allow the chain to drop lower and this
        gives easier access to the bolt head.
        They managed to come loose a second time and that's when I worked out a
        permanent cure. There is no problem on the right side to using a standard
        bolt and a "star" lock washer. The standard bolt allows a greater torque to
        be applied and that's all it needed to stay put. The left side isn't quite
        as easy as the chain is very close to the bolt head. What I did was to use a
        "star" lock washer there also but I had to grind a little off the top of the
        bolt to get good clearance. With out the lock washer there is probably
        enough clearance and loctite should hold it well.
        It's really a badly thought out design, almost an afterthought. The flat peg
        shape probably contributes to the loosening as it puts more turning pressure
        than a narrower peg would.
        Tony Angco
        <ynotfix@...>
        I never met a motorcycle I didn't like
        I have met a few I wouldn't own.....
        <http://www.wgn.net/~ynotfix/a.htm>
        <http://www.homestead.com/ynotfix/Tonys.html>
      • Beardg@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 1999
          In a message dated 10/5/1999 9:53:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          mwhurst@... writes:

          << From: mwhurst@...

          I saw a couple of mentions of loose footpegs for Trophies on the
          Digest. Any one else experience this and under what conditions?
          I can only imagine that a cure includes using Locktite or
          something similar.

          Beardg>>>> My footpegs got quite loose, but especially the shifter side. I
          had Concord Triumph loctite them while the bike was in for the valve
          adjustment. They had to remove the big gray side plates to access the bolts,
          but have since remained tight. Prolly should have been loctited at the
          factory. There seemed a possibility of a peg falling off.
          Dave`96Trophy4