RE: [TriumphTrophy] Trophy 900 vs. ????

  • Bud Izen
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2002
      <<Requirements for a new bike: Not too big that it isn't fun to ride
      through the twistys, better protection against weather, better riding
      position, more power, more comfort for second rider, able to handle
      hard luggage, more upright riding position than on a RS, longer gas
      mileage range

      So, what do you think?>>

      Well, Jim, I am a fairly satisfied Trophy 900 rider, so stating my bias up
      front, here are my comments:

      The Trophy 900 is plenty of fun, assuming you have it set up correctly. Read
      the archives regarding improving the suspension, and on the assortment of
      tyres that various people love or hate. I run the stock suspension but made
      sure the fork oil was full and even.

      Riding in the weather is no problem. It rains a lot here and gets cold. The
      rain doesn't beat on me on the Trophy and I have a good riding suit.

      I find the 900 produces all the power I need, and have no problem with a two
      up rider.

      The luggage is great, just check the archives to make sure it doesn't fall
      off!

      The one big knock I have is riding position. I have been screwing around
      ever since I got my bike over a year ago, and I am still not sufficiently
      comfortable with it. I have changed the handlebars, installed risers,
      changed the seat (Rick Mayer) and added a Throttlemeister to take the
      pressure off my right wrist, but it still is less than optimum. I also
      changed the windshield to a Clearview XL with adjustable center vent.

      I routinely get approximately 240 miles between stops and I am NOT a slow
      rider. I usually do 400 to 600 mile days and average 70+ mph.

      My bike isn't perfect, but its close.

      Hope that helps! If you want any more info feel free to email me directly.

      Bud Izen
      Keizer Oregon
      99/900

    • Michael Collins
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30, 2002
        Jim,

        Having owned or ridden a good cross section of Japanese bikes (late 70's
        through 90's) and having cut my riding teeth on British Iron, I was
        delighted to return to a Triumph a few months ago. I have fallen in love
        with my '98 Trophy 900 that has the hard saddlebags and top box. It has
        adequate power, easy to maintain, is comfortable and, to me, is better than
        fantastic looking. Plus, the Triple's exhaust note is stirring and sitting
        astride it at an idle, its rocking couple is nearly as nice as getting a hug
        from a good friend--only it lasts longer over time (riding in the city
        anyhow).

        Other than the tank bag and rear seatbag (I'm saving the hard bag's great
        finish for long trips), the only modification I plan to do is upgrade the
        front forks with better springs and emulator valves. In stock trim, it easy
        delivers 45 MPG (US gal) when ridden moderately.

        As far as two-up is concerned, my beefy-bottom wife found it a little too
        sporting for her taste. She had gotten used to the old Goldwing that now
        sits forlorn in back. Power was not at a loss with her on back though, we
        climbed our local hwy grade in high gear at 80 mph. I' ll have to tote
        around a racier, lighter gal in the future--they're just right when you
        don't even know they're there on back.

        I have ridden a Sprint with the aforementioned fork mods and it is awesome!
        It takes an extra measure of self discipline to keep the Trophy reigned in,
        add more HP with the Sprint's handling and I'm concerned my thrill-seeking
        antisocial streak may prove my undoing. Better to ride a tourer that has a
        generous sporting capacity.

        I invite you to step up to a Trophy--I think you'll be glad you did.

        Michael Collins
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30, 2002
          Jim,
          It is an easy call, the requirements that you refer to is more
          touring than sport. Also your height dictates that the Trophy is the
          right choice also, so.... Two up is also better on a Trophy than an ST
          and so-on.
          The fun factor is limited by the rider and the fork springs both of
          which are a situation that can be vastly improved. Hope this helps!
          Tom D.

          --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "sentinel1157" <jkdjim@h...> wrote:
          > I am considering a Trophy 900 as my next motorcycle versus a Sprint
          > ST. I am looking for
          > something that will make my commute easier in the constantly
          > changing weather in the northwest and a bike I can take on much
          > longer trips (1-5 days). While at the same time still being fun to
          > ride around town on a sunny day.
          >
          > So, what do you think?
          > Used Trophy 900
          > Used Sprint ST
          > Used Other....
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Jim
        • spongebobchris
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
            Jim -

            Asking a the Trophy group what bike to get is kind of silly. Do you
            think they're going to say - Buy a Sprint?
            But here is my deal and why I decided on a trophy 1200.
            About 2 years ago I took a spill and stopped riding. My head just
            wasn't right anymore.
            Then about a month and a half ago I got the urge again. I was looking
            at the sprint because of its sporty looks and I also thought it would
            be good on long hauls. Then the dealer said something to me about it
            depending whether I wanted a sport bike the I could go on a trip once
            in a while with or a touring bike that looked sporty. I thought about
            that for a while because if I was going to drop that much change on a
            bike I wanted to be happy long after the the lust ended. I didn't
            want 'The realationship sucks but the sex is great' kind of thing. I
            wanted a long termer. Plus my build is 215 and 6'1" The sprint was a
            little cramped for my likeing.
            Ride both and see what you think of each. But my choice was clear to
            me after thinking about it. If I wanted just great sex I would have
            bought a speed trip or a Daytona.
            Hope this helps.

            Chris
          • Joe Swinsick
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
              Jim,
              Let me make your decision a bit more difficult...
              I just moved to Los Angeles and there are a bunch of delerships that
              do some very big volume sales.
              With that being said, a local dealership has been advertising brand
              new 2002, Sprint RS's (same as the ST but less fairing and no
              single-sided swingarm) for 5999.00.
              Don't know if dealers in other areas could match that, but it's a
              price to shoot for.
              Also, keep in mind that the 2002 955i motor is more powerful than 2001
              and older 955i. 107 hp at the rear wheel for the RS and ST. So, if
              you're slightly more inclined to an ST or RS vs a Trophy, the 2002
              955i motors further distance themselves (performance wise)from the
              Trophy.
              By the way, I have an RS and have installed a Triumph top box rack
              with a Givi adapter and bag and a set of Triumph soft bags. Very, very
              nice luggage.
              The RS will not offer nearly the weather proctection a Trophy will
              (not sure about a '95 though), but it's certainly a nice bike with a
              great motor. Oh, and it gets 55+ mpg (no kidding).
              Joe Swinsick

              --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "sentinel1157" <jkdjim@h...> wrote:
              > I am considering a Trophy 900 as my next motorcycle versus a Sprint
              > ST. I have found a good deal on a 95 Trophy 900 with low miles and
              > Price Range: $3k-$6k
              >
              > Requirements for a new bike: Not too big that it isn't fun to ride
              > through the twistys, better protection against weather, better
              riding
              > position, more power, more comfort for second rider, able to handle
              > hard luggage, more upright riding position than on a RS, longer gas
              > mileage range
              >
              > So, what do you think?
              > Used Trophy 900
              > Used Sprint ST
              > Used Other....
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Jim
            • KIMO 57
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
                Chris,

                Yes, asking a Trophy group is probably kinda silly but it does help to hear
                the thinking you guys went through when you decided on your Trophy's. I am
                finding it to be very similar to what I am going through right now as I try
                and figure out what I am going to do.

                Thanks,

                Jim

                >From: "spongebobchris" <cschreiber@...>
                >To: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Trophy 900 vs. ????
                >Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 12:53:13 -0000
                >
                >Jim -
                >
                >Asking a the Trophy group what bike to get is kind of silly. Do you
                >think they're going to say - Buy a Sprint?

                <snipped by KH !>
              • Ben
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
                  after thinking about it. If I wanted just great sex I would have
                  bought a speed trip or a Daytona.

                  Chris

                  Your analogy of sex and motorcycles I found most interesting. I use
                  to be into long range pistol shooting. Our targets were golf balls at
                  two hundred yards. My personal average was four out of six. I can
                  tell you this, at two hundred yard seeing one of them golf balls
                  explode was just as good as, well never mind..
                  About once a month I ride out to Lake Butler to meet up with a riding
                  partner who has a Sprint. A pretty red bike that sounds nice with
                  three cylinders and one pipe. We average a small 150 mile ride sense
                  I ride 130 to get their and have to ride home after our ride. As for
                  milage, the ride there and back at average speed of 85mph is much
                  poorer than the 150 mile ride were speed averages 65-70, My friend is
                  a bit more conserative than I am. I guess I am just saying what
                  everyone already knows. Speed and riding style are big factors in
                  mpg. As for the Sprint, the 150 miles is all my friend wants to ride
                  at one time. Says he is to old at 47 to spend any longer bent over.
                  Every time we ride all I hear is I should have got the Trophy. I kind
                  of wish he did too. The chrome around the head lights seem to be a
                  big deal to him too. I will have to keep a eye on this guy..
                  I say get the Trophy of course, I am happy with mine and don't wish
                  to have his.

                  bpel
                  01,1200
                  Tallahassee
                • Steve Kirk
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 2002
                    sentinel1157 wrote:
                    :: I am considering a Trophy 900 as my next motorcycle versus a Sprint
                    :: ST. I have found a good deal on a 95 Trophy 900 with low miles and I
                    :: am very tempted to make the step up.

                    Ride both, I did, and found the Sprint ST to small and cramped.
                    HTH
                    ~Steve~
                    BRG Trophy4
                    Scotland
                  • spongebobchris
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 2, 2002
                      Funny - The headlight chrome almost turned me off enough not to buy
                      the Trophy. The Sprints nose is so much cooler. That said, Thay is
                      about the only turn off I had. I commute 135 miles a day and when I
                      get off at the end of the day I'm refreshhed and happy I didn't have
                      to sit in traffic in a car. Somehow I don't think I would feel the
                      same bent over on a sprint. I've got a bad disc between C3 and C4 on
                      my neck causes my right arm to go completly numb when my neck is
                      bent. So the Trophy was really the only smart option.
                    • taylorrguk
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 2, 2002
                        --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "Ben" <bpel@y...> wrote:
                        The chrome around the head lights seem to be a
                        > big deal to him too.

                        On a dark-coloured Trophy, I think the headlight rim looks even
                        better in white? I also used white for the rear luggage carrier and
                        the pinstripes on the panniers. See:-
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy/photos/Richard's
                        Trophy/Front View.jpg

                        Anyone else tried alternative colour schemes?

                        Richard T.