Kinked vacuum line

  • CHRIS BELL
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2000
      While doing a thorough post-purchase inspection of Caroline's '95 Trophy, I found the vacuum line kinked on her bike too. Apparently it was not sealed off enough to have cause a problem while doing multiple test rides but I fixed it anyway.

      I think the problem is that often the hose is routed over the frame and attached while the tank is still raised from its normal position. Since it is usually attached to the right carburetor but the fuel valve is on the left, the hose kinks when it gets trapped between the tank and frame. It is possible to attach the hose with the tank in position and with the hose routed BENEATH the frame backbone. If I remember correctly, I couldn't SEE what I was doing, but I could FEEL what I was doing and get the hose onto the fuel valve spout.

      Also, on our '95 bikes, the vacuum hose can be attached to the vacuum pipe on any of the carburetors and the other pipes just need to be plugged. So I moved it to the first carb on the left. Now the hose has a short run from the carb to the fuel valve. No problems! I don't know if this is possible on the later bikes.

      Chris Bell
      Austin, TX
      '95 Triumph Speed Triple "TaCO"
      '90 BMW K75RT "Neptune"
      '73 Harley/Aermacchi TX-125 "Piglet" (for sale)