Flash! Trophy "4-holer" at Arctic Circle!

  • norton8555
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 29, 2002
      Hi guys,

      From July 2-28 I rode my '97 1200 to Alaska via Alaska Highway, had a
      blast, logged 10,600 miles, got to Anchorage, Fairbanks, Denali, and
      the Arctic Circle, but most of all I got to attend the 30th Annual
      Talkeetna Moose Dropping Festival. Partly I wanted to see just what
      dropping a moose was all about, but it also sounded like a "must-have"
      t-shirt opportunity.
      But enough of the nonsense and on to the Trophy Content:
      1. The bike performed flawlessly except for minor, inconsistent
      shenanigans from the petcock. No worries, no miles or time lost, just
      my first (and sudden) experience in nearly 3 years of what I believe
      is the fabled tank venting problem.
      2. During one long stretch between gas stops, with 1/4 tank remaining
      I reduced speed to 50 mph and went a total of 227 miles for the whole
      tankful (strangely without any pranks from the petcock). Filling up
      near Haines Junction, the tank took 6.5 gallons. That's close enough
      to satisfy me about the question of usable fuel.
      3. Fuel economy varied from 25 mpg to 43 mpg, depending on altitude,
      gradient, speed, etc. For the trip, I had changed from the stock
      18/42 sprockets to the later 19/40 Factory combo that my dealer tried
      to discourage me from installing, can't fathom why. Wish I'd gone
      even taller, the 1200 has more than enough torque to handle steep
      gearing.
      4. The new Metzeler 880's I started the trip with were great, no
      flats, the bike handled very well with them in all conditions, but I
      didn't attempt any corner-strafing with them.
      5. The original chain got me home fine, total of 17,100 miles, but it
      is now just so much junk. Might have lasted longer but my Scottoiler
      malfunctioned (but I still love it) so I resorted to time-honored
      methods of chain service.
      6. The Clearview XL I ordered through Sporttour.com in Cincinnati
      arrived just a few days before departure, but in plenty of time to
      install. It served well in reducing wind noise and buffeting, well
      worth the money. I'm 6'1" and it fits me well.
      7. I love my Trophy more than ever, and look forward to future long-
      ride opportunities with it. First, though, I will upgrade the fork
      springs and replace the rear shock for reasons well known to all.
      8. I need to dismantle the bike to remove road filth, dried mud,
      chain lube, and calcium chloride from every nook and cranny. Good
      time also to do myriad adjustments, PM, etc. Also some cosmetic
      repairs to plastic damaged during a slow low-side after the
      operator's brain malfunctioned briefly in the Canadian Yukon. ;o)

      Great, great motorcycle, indeed!
      Ride safe and long.
      Mike D
      Dayton Ohio
      97 Merlot 1200 (but soon to be another color :o)
    • Ken Hastie
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 30, 2002
        On 30 Jul 02 at 4:58, norton8555 wrote:

        > Hi guys,
        >
        > From July 2-28 I rode my '97 1200 to Alaska via Alaska Highway, had
        > a blast, logged 10,600 miles

        That, in itself, is worthy of congratulations. Well done; 400 mile
        days are tough to maintain. I now feel my 2,600 mile jaunt to Rome
        was like a trip around the block by comparison 8=>)

        Ken the Geordie
      • JETTECH
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 30, 2002
          time also to do myriad adjustments, PM, etc. Also some cosmetic
          repairs to plastic damaged during a slow low-side after the
          operator's brain malfunctioned briefly in the Canadian Yukon. ;o)

          Great, great motorcycle, indeed!
          Ride safe and long.
          Mike D
          Dayton Ohio
          97 Merlot 1200 (but soon to be another color :o)

          Mike;
          Nice to have another long rider out there, After my trip of 9,800 in a
          month I feel like a rookie ater reading your tale. Take care and good luck
          servicing the bike. Maybe we can get together and trade some stories At the
          next states side gathering of Trophys. Glad you had a good trip and glad you
          made it home safe.
          Randy
          01 Platinum 1200 31,000 miles and rolling onward.

        • iron56wood
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 30, 2002
            Fantastic, Mike. What a run! I'm very, very jealous. That is the
            type of riding I like -and- what great scenery! I haven't been North
            of 60 in 20 years, but I still remember the Northern Lights,
            friendly people and awesome wild country.

            What was the road conditions? I believe that the Alaska Highway is
            paved through the Yukon, no?

            You've inspired me to begin planning for 2004. Do you think I could
            make it with one less cylinder?

            Ron
            '00 Triumph Trophy 900 BRG

            --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "norton8555" <norton8555@h...> wrote:
            > Hi guys,
            >
            > From July 2-28 I rode my '97 1200 to Alaska via Alaska Highway,
            had a
            > blast, logged 10,600 miles, got to Anchorage, Fairbanks, Denali,
            >
            > Great, great motorcycle, indeed!
            > Ride safe and long.
            > Mike D
            > Dayton Ohio
            > 97 Merlot 1200 (but soon to be another color :o)
          • Molaver, Adam
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 30, 2002
              Now that is a beautiful thing! Any chance you might write up a full trip
              report and/or post a map detailing your route? I've always wanted to make
              the trip to the great white north - glad to see the trophy is up to it!

              ahm

              Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 04:58:36 -0000
              From: "norton8555" <norton8555@...>
              Subject: Flash! Trophy "4-holer" at Arctic Circle!

              Hi guys,

              From July 2-28 I rode my '97 1200 to Alaska via Alaska Highway, had a
              blast, logged 10,600 miles, got to Anchorage, Fairbanks, Denali, and
              the Arctic Circle, but most of all I got to attend the 30th Annual
              Talkeetna Moose Dropping Festival. Partly I wanted to see just what
              dropping a moose was all about, but it also sounded like a "must-have"
              t-shirt opportunity.

              <SNIP>
            • Jamie Town
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 30, 2002
                At 04:58 AM 07/30/02 -0000, you wrote:
                >Hi guys,
                >
                >>From July 2-28 I rode my '97 1200 to Alaska via Alaska Highway, had a
                >blast, logged 10,600 miles, got to Anchorage, Fairbanks, Denali, and
                >the Arctic Circle, but most of all I got to attend the 30th Annual
                >Talkeetna Moose Dropping Festival. Partly I wanted to see just what
                >dropping a moose was all about, but it also sounded like a "must-have"
                >t-shirt opportunity.

                I've been considering a similar ride (tho I'd have to get it done in 16-17
                days) but I've been having a heck of a time finding out how much of that
                road is still unpaved. When I went up there in '90, the road was a mess.
                One day, we lost the spare tire (in our full size truck) to a drive shaft
                that was sticking out of the road. Nevermind the cracked headlights, flat
                tires, misc. debris banging on the undercarriage. A friend of a friend
                took his BMW (motorcycle) up there in the mid 90s and it was in sad shape
                when he got home.

                How many miles are still unpaved?

                And what's moose dropping? Anything like cow chip bingo?

                Jamie
              • REBEL112r@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 30, 2002
                  Made the trip down the highway 4 yrs ago on my 900, Anchorage to Seattle in
                  early May, 4 days. Light traffic cool weather, only 2 sections of repair
                  about 30 miles total. A short bit of good gravel road. Highway can change
                  year to year as far as construction goes, but it is not a trip that should
                  scare people away. Of course if you breakdown which is always a possibility,
                  you may be a good distance from help. I was surprised at the stretch of road
                  between Haines Jct. and Whitehorse, many miles of straight high speed road.
                  Found myself at above 90 several times and kept telling myself to slow down,
                  I don't listen very well though. It was a great trip, a better way to go is
                  to take your time and see the country, spend a few wks doing it..
                • Jeff Joiner
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 30, 2002
                    On Monday, July 29, 2002, at 11:58 PM, norton8555 wrote:

                    > Hi guys,
                    >
                    > From July 2-28 I rode my '97 1200 to Alaska via Alaska Highway, had a
                    > blast, logged 10,600 miles, got to Anchorage, Fairbanks, Denali, and
                    > the Arctic Circle

                    Incredible!! You the man. A Trophy to the Arctic Circle, that has got to
                    be a great ride! I can only dream of a ride like that. I know that I own
                    a great motorcycle, but you guys that do these ultra long tours give me
                    even that much more confidence.

                    Jeff
                    '00 BRG 1200
                  • mharris13
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 30, 2002
                      --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "norton8555" <norton8555@h...> wrote:
                      > Hi guys,
                      >
                      > From July 2-28 I rode my '97 1200 to Alaska via Alaska Highway, >
                      2. During one long stretch between gas stops, with 1/4 tank remaining
                      > I reduced speed to 50 mph and went a total of 227 miles for the
                      whole
                      > tankful (strangely without any pranks from the petcock).

                      Mike - funny, I was just reading about this Highway in Nat Geo:
                      Traveler magazine. Specifically the 240 or so miles between gas
                      stations, and thinking "would my Triumph make it?" Hats off to you
                      for making it.

                      -Mark
                      Sprint Exec
                    • norton8555
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 30, 2002
                        --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "norton8555" <norton8555@h...> wrote:
                        > Hi guys,
                        > From July 2-28 I rode my '97 1200 to Alaska via Alaska Highway...

                        Hi again guys,

                        Thanks for your generous comments, they've helped my morale as I
                        nurse a tender bum (I may need to look into a Corbin perhaps).
                        I hope no one minds that I consolidate my responses as follows:
                        To Adam Molaver: I'm slowly regaining my senses, and may well file a
                        report and/or map if I can steal the time. Yes, the Trophy can do it,
                        but be prepared for anything in the way of bad road. Also, I'm not
                        sure a Scottoiler (good though it is) can completely eliminate chain
                        maintenance up there. Maybe it can, but mine quit during the trip and
                        needs my attention to get it online again.
                        To Randy (JETTECH): Thanks, I too look forward to the next Trophy
                        meet. I'll make it a point to find you there to swap riding tales.
                        To Jamie Town: I found 40 more or less contiguous miles of the
                        Alaska Highway unpaved and under construction west of Whitehorse. The
                        worst had been freshly doused with liquid calcium chloride for dust
                        control. It produced a uniquely treacherous riding surface, very
                        slippery, but negotiable. Existence of pavement is variable due to
                        frost heave, heavy trucks, etc. I don't think any two riders will
                        necessarily experience the same road conditions, i.e., it's like what
                        it's like when you ride it. Does that make sense? Anyway a lot of the
                        Canadian section was rough riding, and all of the Dalton Highway
                        north of Fairbanks is unpaved as of right now, thus equally rough
                        riding. Think of the word "rough" to mean rigorous, tiring, and hard
                        on the bike. My bike was pristine at the start, but now I have a rim
                        to get straightened, copious filth, broken shifter, scratched paint,
                        etc. Portions of the roads up north will likely extract a price to
                        ride them. And you're on track: moose droppings are, um, their
                        droppings!
                        Stay safe, all!
                        Mike D
                        Dayton Ohio
                      • Molaver, Adam
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 31, 2002
                          >Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 02:13:24 -0000
                          >From: "norton8555" <norton8555@...>
                          >Subject: Re: Flash! Trophy "4-holer" at Arctic Circle!
                          >
                          >--- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "norton8555" <norton8555@h...> wrote:
                          >> Hi guys,
                          >> From July 2-28 I rode my '97 1200 to Alaska via Alaska Highway...
                          >
                          >Hi again guys,
                          >
                          >Thanks for your generous comments, they've helped my morale as I
                          >nurse a tender bum (I may need to look into a Corbin perhaps).
                          <<SNIP>

                          *HOLY*CRAP*BATMAN* Are you meaning to tell me you did that trip on the
                          *FACTORY* seat? I'd have no 'bits', and probably chop off my arse if I
                          tried that.

                          *DAMN*

                          ahm
                        • JETTECH
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 31, 2002
                            Thanks for your generous comments, they've helped my morale as I
                            nurse a tender bum (I may need to look into a Corbin perhaps).

                            Mike;
                            If you do anything with the seat I highly recomend Rich Mayer for seat work
                            if you are down with repairs send him your seat,he will do a wonderful job
                            with it. I have a corbin I will be selling soon and I will only use Rick
                            Mayer for seat work in the future I am THAT impressed with his work. He made
                            a minor adjustment to my seat while on my trip in May and I was back on the
                            road in about 1 1/2 hours. He is a really great guy and a Rider as well. My
                            seat is now a 1,000 mile a day seat easily. a corbin will do around 500 -600
                            a day but Ricks work makes Corbin feel like junk. I know, I have one of each
                            Give him a call at this web site.
                            http://www.homestead.com/mayercycle/MAYERCYCLE.html
                            Randy 01 Platinum 1200
                            (with a mayer seat on it.........:-))

                          • norton8555
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 31, 2002
                              --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "Molaver, Adam" <ahm_egrp@m...> wrote:
                              > >Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 02:13:24 -0000

                              > *HOLY*CRAP*BATMAN* Are you meaning to tell me you did that trip on
                              the
                              > *FACTORY* seat?

                              Yup, I'm afraid it was the factory parkbench. But I'll live to do
                              something sillier, probably.

                              Mike D
                            • brucetrophy
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 31, 2002
                                --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "norton8555" <norton8555@h...> wrote:
                                > Hi guys,
                                >
                                > From July 2-28 I rode my '97 1200 to Alaska via Alaska Highway, had a
                                > blast, logged 10,600 miles,

                                You are indeed the man! Most impressive, now you will need a steam
                                cleaner to get all the bits cleaned up.
                                Bruce
                                99/900
                              • norton8555
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 1, 2002
                                  --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "brucetrophy" <brucetrophy@c...> wrote:
                                  > --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "norton8555" <norton8555@h...> wrote:
                                  > > Hi guys,
                                  > > From July 2-28 I rode my '97 1200 to Alaska via Alaska Highway...
                                  >
                                  > You are indeed the man! Most impressive, now you will need a steam
                                  > cleaner to get all the bits cleaned up.
                                  > Bruce
                                  > 99/900

                                  Well, I think a good long soak in a hot tank would be more effective.
                                  Oh, wait, you mean the bike! ;o)
                                  Mike D
                                  Grubby 97 1200