Rear brake life

  • Terry Lucky
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002
      I noticed that my rear brake pads are worn out today. This is on a 2001
      Trophy 1200 with 6040 miles on it. This seems crazy to me!!!!!
      Has anyone else had that short of pad life?
      No, I don't brake like a wildman. Yes, I use my front brakes. These things
      must be made from gum. I didn't think that the brakes were dragging. If they
      are maybe that explains my 35 MPG.
      My last bikes (Concours) rear brakes lasted 24,000 miles.
      Any comments on a longer lasting replacements.

      Thanks,

      Terry
    • hsc1993
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002
        Terry,

        On my '01 1200, I replaced my rear pads at about 11,000 miles. They
        were shot and like you, I do my best to stay of the rear brake as
        much as possible. I have been very happy with EBC pads (FA215/2HH).
        At 24,000, I changed OEM front pads to EBC FA236/HH. Front OEM still
        had several thousand miles to go before needing to change, but I have
        enjoyed the better braking with EBC pads.

        Bill
        Roanoke, VA
      • Mik
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
          During a gear change, Terry Lucky <t.lucky@...> penned ...
          >I noticed that my rear brake pads are worn out today. This is on a 2001
          >Trophy 1200 with 6040 miles on it. This seems crazy to me!!!!!
          >Has anyone else had that short of pad life?
          > I didn't think that the brakes were dragging.

          The 1200 is so powerful that you may not realise that the rear pads were
          dragging ...

          Were they worn equal (parallel) or were they only worn on one end
          (triangular) ?
          If parallel then you are possibly resting your foot on the pedal, try
          riding with the ball of your foot on the footpeg rather than your
          instep. If it is triangular then you need to remove the calliper and
          "clean and grease" the rails on which the calliper is supposed to slide
          on. If one has become contaminated with road muck etc. it sticks and the
          rear of the brake pad is worn away. It's advisable to check your brakes
          regularly to see that this is not happening.

          Perhaps Ken should add this to his monthly reminder - "Read this and
          CHECK YOUR BRAKES." ;o)
          --
          Ò¿Ó Dame Edna
        • Tandems Ltd
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
            At 08:27 PM 07/01/02 -0500, you wrote:
            >I noticed that my rear brake pads are worn out today. This is on a 2001
            >Trophy 1200 with 6040 miles on it. This seems crazy to me!!!!!
            >Has anyone else had that short of pad life?<snip>

            Gee, how'd you get 6040 miles? I got <5000 miles on my original rear pads.

            Jack Goertz
            Birmingham, AL
            '67 Bonneville --- '96 Trophy 1200 --- '00 Legend TT 900
          • jam_nut
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
              --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "Terry Lucky" <t.lucky@m...> wrote:
              > I noticed that my rear brake pads are worn out today. This is on a
              2001
              > Trophy 1200 with 6040 miles on it. This seems crazy to me!!!!!
              > Has anyone else had that short of pad life?

              Yea, me too. I only got 6,000 miles or so also. I thought it was
              just me. I only use the back brake about 10-15% of the time. I
              replaced it with another stock set from Triumph. So far over 11,000
              on those and they look new. Maybe there was a bad lot of pads being
              put on the new bikes.
            • tx_triumph_rider
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
                I get between 4,000 and 7,000 depending upon how many trips to the
                texas hill country I take. I trail brake pretty badly..

              • BWG3COY@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
                  In a message dated 02/07/2002 02:28:09 GMT Daylight Time, t.lucky@...
                  writes:

                  > I noticed that my rear brake pads are worn out today. This is on a 2001
                  > Trophy 1200 with 6040 miles on it. This seems crazy to me!!!!!
                  > Has anyone else had that short of pad life?
                  > No, I don't brake like a wildman. Yes, I use my front brakes. These things
                  > must be made from gum. I didn't think that the brakes were dragging. If
                  > they
                  > are maybe that explains my 35 MPG.
                  > My last bikes (Concours) rear brakes lasted 24,000 miles.
                  > Any comments on a longer lasting replacements.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Terry

                  Yes Terry I have
                  I changed the Triumph(Nissin) Crap for Ferodo and never looked back. Better
                  braking effect, longer life and little disc wear.
                  Cofion (regards)
                  John Bonnewell Lleogr II (England II)
                  Reidio Y Balcher <A HREF="http://homestead.com/AnnJohnBonnewell/start.html">Our Home Page</A> <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bwg3coy/page1.html">Welsh Guards</A>