Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Big Crash Hats!

  • Mik
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
      During a gear change, Russ Pagenkopf <jnrp@...> penned ...
      >At 6:44 PM +0000 6/30/02, taylorrguk wrote:
      >>17 stone

      >Translation please for those of us here in the states?

      Has a height problem (as in " i'm not overweight doctor, just a little
      shorter than I ought to be" ;o)
      1 stone = 14lbs
      --
      Ò¿Ó Dame Edna
    • taylorrguk
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
        --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., Russ Pagenkopf <jnrp@u...> wrote:
        > At 6:44 PM +0000 6/30/02, taylorrguk wrote:
        > >17 stone
        >
        > Translation please for those of us here in the states?
        >
        > Russ Pagenkopf
        > '98 Trophy 1200

        In traditional English measurements, 14lbs (pounds) = 1 stone,
        hence 17st = 238 lbs ( also = 108kg there being 2.205lbs to a kg)

        Actually this morning I'm 16st 11lbs (=235lbs), gradually losing, I'd
        got up to 18st 5lbs (=257lbs) last Xmas - too much!

        Any recommendations for rear preload adjustment for riding at this
        weight (mostly solo, light luggage) - I was planning a fairly high
        setting?

        Richard T.
      • taylorrguk
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
            During a gear change, taylorrguk <richard.taylor@...> penned
            >--- In TriumphTrophy@y..., Russ Pagenkopf <jnrp@u...> wrote:
            >> At 6:44 PM +0000 6/30/02, taylorrguk wrote:
            >> >17 stone

            >> Translation please for those of us here in the states?
            >> Russ Pagenkopf

            >In traditional English measurements, 14lbs (pounds) = 1 stone,
            >hence 17st = 238 lbs ( also = 108kg there being 2.205lbs to a kg)
            >Actually this morning I'm 16st 11lbs (=235lbs), gradually losing, I'd
            >got up to 18st 5lbs (=257lbs) last Xmas - too much!
            >Any recommendations for rear preload adjustment for riding at this
            >weight (mostly solo, light luggage) - I was planning a fairly high
            >setting?
            >Richard T.

            About the same as me, I got to 17st 8lb and having given up the dreaded
            drink I am now a silth-like 15st 13lb.
            I found the Dame couldn't cope with my voluptuous figure so I have opted
            for a new rear shock (which I must get around to fitting soon ;o)
            Have you fitted new fork springs yet ? This made a world of difference
            for me.
            --
            Ò¿Ó Dame Edna
          • taylorrguk
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
              I have opted
              > for a new rear shock (which I must get around to fitting soon ;o)
              > Have you fitted new fork springs yet ? This made a world of
              difference
              > for me.
              > --
              > Ò¿Ó Dame Edna

              My Trophy has only done 6700 miles, even though it's a 1997. I think
              it's been stood for 2-3 years before I bought it (as a repairable
              write-off). It has had the 6000 mile service, but I'm going to change
              the oil again to be safe, it looks like it's absorbed some moisture.
              (Yes - I've already done the brake fluid and coolant!)
              I was planning to leave anything like spring changes for later!

              Richard T
            • Mik
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                During a gear change, taylorrguk <richard.taylor@...> penned
                >> Have you fitted new fork springs yet ? This made a world of
                >difference
                >> for me.
                >> Ò¿Ó Dame Edna

                >My Trophy has only done 6700 miles, even though it's a 1997.
                >I was planning to leave anything like spring changes for later!
                >Richard T

                When you change the springs (I put progressives in mine) you will wonder
                why you waited so long. Everything to do with the front end is better,
                steering, road-holding, cornering, braking ';o)
                --
                Ò¿Ó Dame Edna
              • taylorrguk
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                  > When you change the springs (I put progressives in mine) you will
                  wonder
                  > why you waited so long. Everything to do with the front end is
                  better,
                  > steering, road-holding, cornering, braking ';o)
                  > --
                  > Ò¿Ó Dame Edna

                  OK - I give in!
                  Where does one buy progressive fork springs, and for how much?
                  (Done a quick web search - no luck.)
                  BTW - I thought the original springs are 'triple-rate' (at least on
                  latest models) - so what advantage will progressive have? Will I need
                  to specify a particular max/min spring rate?

                  Richard T.
                • motoworld2001
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                    Richard,
                    The RACE-TECH spring and emulatro kit is the best way to go
                    (IMO), the valves offer you even more in terms of ajustability.
                    The .95 springs are a good set-up for a rider who likes to lean it
                    over, if you are more aggressive the 1.0 is the springs you will want.
                    Tom D. 1.0 springs

                    --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "taylorrguk" <richard.taylor@c...> wrote:
                    > > When you change the springs (I put progressives in mine) you will
                    > wonder
                    > > why you waited so long. > > --
                    > > Ò¿Ó Dame Edna
                    >
                    > OK - I give in!
                    > > to specify a particular max/min spring rate?
                    >
                    > Richard T.
                  • Mik
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                      During a gear change, motoworld2001 <motoworld2001@...> penned ...
                      >--- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "taylorrguk" <richard.taylor@c...> wrote:
                      >> > When you change the springs (I put progressives in mine) you will
                      >> wonder
                      >> > why you waited so long. > > --
                      >> > Ò¿Ó Dame Edna
                      >>

                      >> OK - I give in!
                      >> > to specify a particular max/min spring rate?
                      >> Richard T.

                      > The RACE-TECH spring and emulatro kit is the best way to go
                      >(IMO), the valves offer you even more in terms of ajustability.
                      >The .95 springs are a good set-up for a rider who likes to lean it
                      >over, if you are more aggressive the 1.0 is the springs you will want.
                      > Tom D. 1.0 springs

                      Toms right - (having looked at things more) linear springs and correct
                      valving will be better than the progressive springs, however,
                      progressive springs are (a) cheaper and (b) much better than the
                      originals. The progressives cost me £79 fitted (I took the forks to the
                      dealer) whereas Race Tech + the valve emulators were in excess of £160 +
                      fitting.

                      Progressive springs are available from most dealers and mail order
                      companies in the UK, Race Tech seemed to be exclusive to PDQ
                      <URL:http://www.pdq1.com/racetech.htm>

                      --
                      Ò¿Ó Dame Edna
                    • motoworld2001
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                        Mik,
                        I just want to see the eye brows moving when I read you responses!

                        Tom D.

                        > Ò¿Ó Dame Edna
                      • steven kirk
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 2, 2002
                          Ò¿Ó Dame Edna
                          The progressives cost me £79 fitted (I took the forks to the
                          dealer)

                          You did what!? took them to a dealer :O)
                          What with you extensive garage facilitys and mechanical knowledge ??
                          You took them to a dealer???????
                          Or couldnt you find a socket/spanner big enough :P)
                          ~Steve~QBTO~
                        • Mik
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 2, 2002
                            During a gear change, steven kirk <mail@...> penned
                            > Dame Edna
                            >The progressives cost me 79 fitted (I took the forks to the
                            >dealer)

                            >You took them to a dealer???????
                            >Or couldnt you find a socket/spanner big enough :P)
                            >~Steve~QBTO~

                            Correct - however I have now bought the right sized socket ;o)
                            --
                            Ò¿Ó Dame Edna
                          • taylorrguk
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 2, 2002

                              > Correct - however I have now bought the right sized socket ;o)
                              > --
                              > Ò¿Ó Dame Edna

                              So enlighten us Mik, what size is the right size socket????

                              Richard T
                            • Mik
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 2, 2002
                                During a gear change, taylorrguk <richard.taylor@...> penned
                                >> Correct - however I have now bought the right sized socket ;o)
                                >> Ò¿Ó Dame Edna

                                >So enlighten us Mik, what size is the right size socket????

                                24mm (fork top nut)
                                --
                                Ò¿Ó Dame Edna
                              • nomorefours
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 12, 2002
                                  > OK - I give in!
                                  > Where does one buy progressive fork springs, and for how much?
                                  > (Done a quick web search - no luck.)

                                  I can help you with that (I work at a dealership).

                                  Progressive Fork Springs (springs only) sell for around US$75 or a
                                  bit less, depending on current exchange rates, plus shipping from
                                  Western Canada. Let me know if you are interested.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Doug