Demise of Gulfport Triumph

  • Michael Flora
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2002
      Was on the Mississippi Gulf Coast for a 5k race (that's foot race, not
      m/c) and thought I'd stop by Gulfport Triumph for a chat with the owner,
      Ralph Frum. I bought my Trident from him three years ago and found him
      to be an agreeable, knowledgeable guy. When I got there I noticed there
      were no bikes outside except for one dressed Harley. The front door of
      the building (an industrial-looking metal structure) was open, so I
      strolled in. Only about 5 bikes on the floor, only 2 Triumphs. I
      talked to a guy behind the counter, and it turns out he's the new owner.
      His plans are to sell leather goods and do generic motorcycle
      maintenance like tires, oil changes, etc.

      Ralph sold out months ago, it turned out, and moved to Washington State.
      I remember him saying that he was in it for the long haul, unlike a lot
      of new Triumph dealers. The long haul, in this case, amounts to about 5
      years. I suppose his attempt to expand his business by selling Victory,
      Royal Enfield, and Aprilia didn't work out. Gulfport Triumph joins a
      growing list of former Triumph dealers on the Gulf coast, including
      Hebert Cycles in Baton Rouge, PEC Cycles in N.O., and (I believe)
      Hattiesburg Cycles in MS. The nearest dealer to me is now Euro Cycles
      in Lafayette, over 100 interstate miles away.

      M.R.F.
      '98 Trident
    • brucetrophy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2002
        Michael, sorry your dealer closed. The only ones I want to close are
        the bad ones. Anybody who takes on the off brands your dealer did is
        looking for a problem, sounds like he found it.
        By the way, I am 300 I-state miles from any dealer, good or bad.
        Bruce
        99/900
      • jermil.geo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2002
          Michel, don't despair! Euro Cycles isn't the only Dealer around. A &
          B Cycles in Pedal Mississippi (1-800-316-4348 100 South Main), is
          alive and well. That's right outside Hattiesburg. Allen, (don't know
          his last name) the owner is a rally nice guy. He was part owner of
          the Shop on Williams Blvd. in Kenner that closed because of
          partnership trouble.

          I talked to Allen Mayor of Allen Mayer's Cycle Repair in Metairie
          today. Different Allen from A & B. Another really nice guy! He tells
          me there is a guy / guys getting ready to open a new Triumph
          dealership in Metairie on or right off of Clearview Av. Allen works
          on Triumphs, but wants to get out of service work and only do parts.
          He'll be sending all his survive work to the new shop when it opens.
          Wish I knew what the name was going to be, but Allen didn't say and I
          didn't think to ask.

          Hope to see you on bike night at the Pit Stop.

          Jerry
        • Bud Izen
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2002
            <<Gulfport Triumph joins a growing list of former Triumph dealers on the
            Gulf coast, including
            Hebert Cycles in Baton Rouge, PEC Cycles in N.O., and (I believe)
            Hattiesburg Cycles in MS.>>

            I bought my Triumph (used via eBay) from a guy who lived in Gulfport and
            undoubtedly bought the bike from Gulfport. I haven't had any of the problems
            associated with poor dealer setup, and in fact the bike has run perfectly
            from the moment it came off the truck (with 84 miles on it) until now (a bit
            over 6000). Its too bad he's gone, because I bet he was a great dealer.

            Bud Izen
            99/900
          • Michael Flora
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2002
              jermil.geo wrote:

              >I talked to Allen Mayor of Allen Mayer's Cycle Repair in Metairie
              >today. Different Allen from A & B. Another really nice guy! He tells
              >me there is a guy / guys getting ready to open a new Triumph
              >dealership in Metairie on or right off of Clearview Av.

              Now that's good news! I will also have to check out A & B sometime.
              And yes, I'd like to do bike night sometime in the near future, Jerry.

              M.R.F.
              '98 Trident