Re: Am I really going this fast

  • Molaver, Adam
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2002
      Here's a little something that might resolve this isssue:

      http://www.blackrobotics.com

      My dad found it on his GL1800 boards, as it also suffers from
      speedo-optimism. The question arises though - are the odo and speedo run
      from the same data? Since my speedo appears to be off almost 8% (indicated
      76mph == 70mph GPS), that means 50,000 indicated miles is only about 46,050
      miles. It adds up! Note: I am running D205's with a 180 in the back,
      although I assume mileage/speed is derived from the front wheel, which is
      factory sized.

      Of course, if the speedo and odo are indeed driven together, an unscrupulous
      individual might use the wide-band version of the yellow box to, say, halve
      their accumulated mileage. Cute.

      ahm

      Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:04:20 -0600
      From: Tandems Ltd <tandems@...>
      Subject: Re: Am I really going this fast?

      At 02:34 AM 03/29/02 +0000, you wrote:
      >Has anyone checked the accuracy of their speedos? <snip>
      >
      >Tony D.

      Typically, I've found all M/C speedos on modern bikes to be read about 10%
      fast. (I.e., they read 60mph and you're traveling ~55mph). This is true on
      my 1200 Trophy, my 900 Legend, and on my friend's GL1800 Goldwing.

      >Jack Goertz

      Birmingham, AL
      '67 Bonneville 650 (don't even ask about it's speedo!)
      '96 Trophy 1200
      '00 Legend 900