Corbin Seat

  • rkerry
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 4, 2000
      I had a Corbin on my Honda ST1100. I liked it, even on a 15-day, 8,900 mile
      round trip to Alaska. Yes, it was hard but that seems to be the best for
      long distance for me.

      However, around town I'd take it off because the edges kind of cut into my
      thighs when my feet were on the ground.

      When I rode my '97 Trophy from New York to Tucson my butt was cramping big
      time. But, I was just too cheap to go for the Corbin. So I had a local
      upholstery shop with experience with MC seats widen the stock seat a
      little. Looks great and it gives good support--plus it is not so hard. For
      $75 I consider it a bargain and I don't have to switch seats.

      Bob Kerry in Tucson
    • Robert Martin
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 18, 2000
        I found a used gray "gunfighter" style Corbin for my 99.($200)
        I can't find that style in the Corbin catalog,, I'm assuming it's not
        offered by Corbin any more.
        Does anyone know any details of when it was offered, and did it fit other
        Triumphs, etc?
        I like the looks of the original seat more than the Corbin,, but I don't
        think it's as comfortable.
        A gray seat on a gray bike is a little to much gray. Does anyone know the
        real scoop in dieing real leather (the Butt panel) and vinyl (rest of the
        seat).
        I lowered the bike last week and 300 miles ago.. I like the change. But,,,
        in hard cornering, my feet scrub the pavement.
        I haven't figured out what to do about the side stand. I shaved about a 1/2
        off the bottom of it,, but it still seams a little long.
        I will do something (cut) with the center stand,,, I miss it..
        I've been riding the bike without the right side main body panel.. That big
        black engine don't look to bad!!
        Later.
      • Jim Wargowski
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 27, 2000
          Could someone please post a picture of their bike w/a Corbin seat? I
          know the Corbin website has one, but I think it's actually on a
          Sprint, and it really doesn't show the whole bike. I'm 6'3" and just
          took my first 100+ Mi ride, and it got a bit painful. I'm considering
          a Corbin. Thanks in advance!~
        • skippy
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 27, 2000
            The stock seats a real torture device, ain't it?

            The Corbin really doesn't look much different on a Trophy. In fact, they
            look alot like the factory saddle. The problem I have w/ my Corbin is the
            seat leather's so smooth that I slide around alot (my nylon riding britches
            don't help either). So on that note, I would reccomend either textured
            leather or their synthetic cover.

            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 28, 2000
              For those interested, as a result of Jim's request re the Corbin seat, I
              have posted a pic in the Files area of my Trophy 900 with the seat.

              Also, liked the mpeg file of the pipes. Will try to get one done for
              my bike with the Staintunes (baffle removed)

              Adrian
            • Kelly Bonavia
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 30, 2000
                --- In TriumphTrophy@onelist.com, "Jim Wargowski" <JWargowski@a...>
                wrote:
                > Could someone please post a picture of their bike w/a Corbin seat?
                > know the Corbin website has one, but I think it's actually on a
                > Sprint, and it really doesn't show the whole bike. I'm 6'3" and just
                > took my first 100+ Mi ride, and it got a bit painful. I'm
                considering
                > a Corbin. Thanks in advance!~

                Jim-The Corbin seat was the single best modification that I have made
                to my Trophy. I'm 6'3" also and it works perfectly. On the stock seat,
                my butt would be numb at the tailbone in the first 60 miles. With the
                Corbin, I'm never numb. In addition, the seat seams to give you more
                room to move around a bit and you sit more naturally and comfortably.
                I have a BRG bike and got the black leather with the green piping.
                Looks cool. You give up the underseat fold out hooks with the Corbin.
                The fit was perfect. At first it did not want to fasten click closed
                so I called Corbin sales help and they instructed me that all the
                seats will fit tight and that I would need to remove 1/8 inch of
                rubber from the bumpers on the seat so that it would sit closer and
                click shut. I did what they told me and it is absolutely a perfect
                fit. Good luck with your decision. Kelly Bonavia 96,BRG 1200.
              • Dwight Claassen
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 31, 2000
                  I want a Corbin seat, but for $550 with the backrest I can't imagine
                  having to give up anything (under seat hooks) or do any kind of
                  modification to get it to fit. It damn well better be perfect and fit
                  perfectly right out of the box, even at half the price. I can't imagine
                  how anyone affords one of these seats, especially if you have to fix on it
                  right away.

                  As an aside, I struggle financially to own, maintain and ride this
                  beautiful Trophy I have. Maybe in 4 years when it's paid off I'll have
                  money for extras, but by then my current car will be dead so it will be
                  time for a replacement used car. It's my cross to bear I guess, but the
                  Trophy makes a right beautiful cross!

                  I do think it's too bad that a $12K new motorcycle needs aftermarket
                  replacements and add-ons to make it a more fully functional touring
                  bike. Of course the R1100RT has these kinds of features, but it's $4K
                  more so maybe I'm all wet.

                  -sore in more ways than one because he can't afford a Corbin, Dwight
                • RDHG1246@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 15, 2000
                    Well finally got my custom Corbin Seat the other day. I had them had a taper
                    from the crotch area forward to nose that added about 1/2" more thickness and
                    move the back of the rider seat a little. Happy to report it works fine.
                    There is not an extra charge for the custom work so if you can tell them what
                    you want you can get it built that way. It helps if you have a standard
                    Corbin or one you can try. They will give you one free adjustment if you need
                    to modify it a little after trying it out. Takes a little longer to get made.
                    Mine took about 8 weeks to get. They also have a new leather basketweave,
                    which so far seems to help with seat traction problems. But it may be better
                    due to the fact it kind of fits me now. Aslo solved the probelm of my short
                    leg knee being close to fairing corner (broke it one in three places and now
                    about 3/4" shorter than the other).
                    Mike Birdwell
                  • JSteg34279@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 6, 2001
                      Rufus - I agree with your friend, the Corbin seat, while better than the
                      stock seat, is not worth the price. My local Triumph dealer suggested the
                      Corbin as a way to make the Trophy I was considering buying low enough for me
                      to handle it at stops. I agree to purchase the bike - with the Corbin seat.
                      If I had it to do over, I would find a local upholstery shop that has done,
                      or is willing to do, M/C seats and work with them.
                      Jack
                      '97 Trophy 900
                      Heritage Green
                    • Richie750
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 6, 2001
                        I guess MC seats are as personal as the butts that sit on them. I ordered a
                        Canyon Dual Sport with carbon fiber leather seating panels, carbon-fiber
                        vinyl side panels, and smoke piping, when I was in Daytona over this past
                        weekend. The showroom had a carbon-fiber dual tour model for the Trophy
                        (wrong color piping though) so I installed it on my bike and sat on it. It
                        fits the bike better than the stock (no top edges of the plastic side covers
                        show), looks far better, and had a nice familiar feel to the Corbin that I
                        have on my Intruder. I will transfer the helmet locks to the Corbin when I
                        get it in 2-3 weeks, and then look into doing the same with the cargo hooks.

                        The Intruder comes with a brick for a seat and I had to change it as soon as
                        I could. It gave me extreme pain after 35 miles. With the Corbin I made
                        regular 300 mile/day trips without too much problem (450 miles was the
                        limit). When I planned my tour around the UP of Michigan, I bought a butt
                        buffer (just in case) because I knew that I had a 650 mile day near the end
                        (first leg of the trip home) of the tour. I used the butt buffer on that
                        long haul day, but it only helped a little. It helped mainly on moving the
                        pressure points around by sliding the pad on the seat forward or back. If
                        it had been fixed in the seat, moving it would not have been possible. My
                        butt was still sore, but I could at least weather it out.

                        What I do know for certain is that it is tough for me to sit on anything for
                        an extended period of time. If the Corbin is better than the stocker (as
                        most everyone says and my previous Corbin experience indicates), with the
                        better look, then I know I'll be happy. I rode the stock seat in Florida
                        this past weekend (Friday/Saturday) on two 300 mile days (180 miles in one
                        shot on the way back to camp) with no problem at all. It can only get
                        better IMHO.

                        Best regards,
                        Richie
                        '99 Triumph Trophy 1200
                        '90 Suzuki Intruder 750

                      • Jeff Fennema
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 6, 2001
                          I have had a Corbin for the last 3 years on my '96 Trophy 900. I have ridden this bike over 25,000 miles, 1060 at one sitting, and would never go back to the stock seat. (It'll show up on Ebay one of these days, soon). I am also tall enough to put my feet flat on the ground at a stop, which changes a lot of things. Best advise I can give anyone for comfort on a long trip is: boxers. Really, the leg hems on all others will cut into your thighs, causing the pain.
                          P.S. Paid $298.61 for the Corbin in Feb. '98.
                          P.P.S. My wife prefers the top box without the backrest. It gives her more room, and the top box is curved to fit a person's back enough for her. I have seemingly solved the water intrusion by sealing the hinge bolts with silicone. BTW, don't ask one of those Harley women for hers...........
                        • brucetrophy@cs.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 19, 2002
                            Jay, like everyone else has said, it does everything you wanted it to do.
                            Last summer I did one 600 mile day, a couple of 500 mile days, and multiple
                            300 mile days. Not to say that the Corbin is perfect but it did allow me to
                            ride for as long as I wanted. The stocker allowed me to get about 1 hour in
                            and I was ready to get off the bike, especially in hot weather.
                            A few problems with the Corbin: They are heavier than stock,you lose the
                            little hooks on the seat for tying things down, and it takes them a bit of
                            time to get it to you. Seems like I waited about 6 weeks but that was when
                            they first started making them for the Trophy.
                            I am interested to hear how the Mayer seat works for Randy. I have heard
                            nothing but good about them.
                            Bruce
                            99/900 (Corbin with blue welting to match the Pacific Blue)

                          • jayzomp
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 20, 2002
                              Thanks to all that replied to me....

                              Ride Safe

                              Jay
                            • Grace
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 29 10:54 AM
                                I have a used Corbin Seat that fits a 1200 Trophy. I did not like the
                                seat for my build. Hurt my hip. I am using the stock seat. The seat
                                does have a Corbin passenger backrest. If you are interested, let me
                                know, I will send a picture. This seat is used.

                                Grace
                              • Rick MacPherson
                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 29 10:57 AM
                                  Grace,

                                  I am interested and email me some pictures and a price.

                                  Rick MacPherson

                                  I have a used Corbin Seat that fits a 1200 Trophy. I did not like the
                                  seat for my build. Hurt my hip. I am using the stock seat. The seat
                                  does have a Corbin passenger backrest. If you are interested, let me
                                  know, I will send a picture. This seat is used.

                                  Grace

                                  Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments
                                  are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of
                                  the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

                                  FAQs:
                                  href="http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDVOP5EPHnljXq-9iPCgjGwUdHUKzLwAMeBqkZ_Py
                                  LZhp2iPfOi177Vmc8AvZ9UippkWqnCAy9FpHH6L/ALL_FAQ/FAQ.html"><font

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • Fred Teifeld
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 29 11:04 AM
                                    Picture and price, please.

                                    -Fred

                                    Grace wrote:

                                    >I have a used Corbin Seat that fits a 1200 Trophy. I did not like the
                                    >seat for my build. Hurt my hip. I am using the stock seat. The seat
                                    >does have a Corbin passenger backrest. If you are interested, let me
                                    >know, I will send a picture. This seat is used.
                                    >
                                    >Grace
                                    >

                                    >Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!
                                    >
                                    >Post message: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
                                    >Subscribe: TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                    >FAQs:
                                    >href="http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDVOP5EPHnljXq-9iPCgjGwUdHUKzLwAMeBqkZ_PyLZhp2iPfOi177Vmc8AvZ9UippkWqnCAy9FpHH6L/ALL_FAQ/FAQ.html"><font
                                    >color="#FF0000" size="3"><strong>FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions),
                                    >
                                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • wayne david
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 29 11:12 AM
                                      i wouldnt mind seeing a pic of it, i ahve the stock,,and cant sit all the way back in the "nook"

                                      Grace <gvanpelt@...> wrote:I have a used Corbin Seat that fits a 1200 Trophy. I did not like the
                                      seat for my build. Hurt my hip. I am using the stock seat. The seat
                                      does have a Corbin passenger backrest. If you are interested, let me
                                      know, I will send a picture. This seat is used.

                                      Grace

                                      Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations & comments are solely & strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk & discretion of the reader!

                                      FAQs:

                                      Triumph motorcycles Trophy Sports tour Triumph Sprint

                                    • Phil Smith
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 30 7:55 PM
                                        Color, Year Price? Location

                                        > I have a used Corbin Seat that fits a 1200 Trophy. I did not like
                                        the
                                        > seat for my build. Hurt my hip. I am using the stock seat. The
                                        seat
                                        > does have a Corbin passenger backrest. If you are interested, let
                                        me
                                        > know, I will send a picture. This seat is used.
                                        >
                                        > Grace
                                      • shu2
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 3, 2011
                                          dave,

                                          do you still have this seat? if so, very interested. pics please.

                                          jim

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 3, 2011
                                            hi dave,

                                            brownislandjim AT
                                            hotmail DOT com

                                            thanks much!

                                            j.
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 3, 2011
                                              hi dave,

                                              here you go:

                                              brownislandjim AT
                                              hotmail DOT com

                                              thanks much!

                                              j.
                                            • DUKESTER
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 15, 2013
                                                With my new Corbin seat my position has changed somewhat and i need a set of risers. Is there a company that makes risers for the Trophy?

                                                All the Best,
                                                Malcolm Duke
                                                Hurst,Tx.
                                                2001 Trophy Sunset Red
                                                2012 V Strom DL100 Bright Red

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Nov 15, 2013

                                                    The most common maker of bar risers is Genmar. I have them (got a used set from a fellow member here). Helibars (or Heli-bars) make the conversion kits, I think, but not much new stuff like that available anymore for the Trophy. Actually, not sure if it's a conversion kit or risers they make. A company that makes conversion kits is Storz. Again, not sure if anything available for the Trophy.

                                                    Welcome new guy.

                                                    Up here, Jack, apehangers seem to be making a comeback. Only on Harleys, though. A lot of places have banned them above a certain height now for safety reasons.

                                                    Cheers,

                                                    Glenn

                                                    ---In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, <jackbyers@...> wrote:

[...]

                                                  • juliovega5462
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Nov 15, 2013
                                                      Hi Malcolm,I'm in Burleson,TX not far from you. I have s set of risers I'm not using,Jen mars,,,if you're interested,email me @ juliovega......5462.....@ Yahoo.com. you could have them as soon as tomorrow.....let me know..