A good word about a good vendor - Sport Touring

  • Bud Izen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28 3:08 PM
      I recently bought a used Throttlemeister from Bruce (on our list). Not every
      seeing one, I had no idea what I was going to receive. Turns out, the TM
      takes the place of the stock weights at the end of the (stock) handlebars.
      Unfortunately for me, I had already changed out my stock bars for a more
      conventional set. For the few of you who don't know, I put on a set of
      GenMar risers, then installed the Storz handlebar conversion kit for even
      more rise, a few inches of back off, and the comfort of standard handlebars.
      Works fine. The problem is, of course, that the new bars have no inherent
      way of taking the stock weights. So, when the TM arrived, I realized I was
      in trouble.

      A few people on the list had good suggestions, but the easiest way, I
      thought, was just to contact Sport Touring, who distribute the product. I
      explained the situation, and they said they could provide adapters ($25 plus
      shipping). I am not able to visualize things very well so I did not realize
      how their adapter worked, from their description over the phone. They needed
      a fairly exacting inside diameter measurement and I gave them what turned
      out to be a very inexact approximation. I got the adapters, but they did not
      fit, not even close. So, I emailed them, and then phoned them about it. In
      the meantime, I had purchased a nice set of calipers so I could provide an
      exact i.d. measurement in both inches and millimeters.

      Also, the TM as I received it from Bruce, was missing the friction sleeve
      which goes over the handlebar, and the decals which indicate when the TM is
      engaged (no big deal). I offered to pay the additional shipping and also
      cover the cost of the sleeve. Rob told me not to worry about it, and gave me
      the address to return the incorrect adapters. Before I even got a chance to
      put the incorrect ones back in the mail, I received an email notification
      that the new adapters had already been shipped.

      Now THAT is what I call excellent customer service. When I next go to order
      an accessory, you can bet Sport Touring is going to get the first
      opportunity to sell it to me. I just thought I would spread the word. If you
      speak to them, by all means, tell them Bud Izen referred you. (And, no I
      don't get any discount for referring them, and no I am not connected with
      them in any way).

      By the way, Bruce did offer to cover the cost of the missing parts, but I
      told him not to worry about it.

      Here's the info on Sport Touring:
      Rob Pemble
      Sport Touring Accessories at
      Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort
      HC 72 Box 1
      Deal's Gap, NC 28771
      800-889-5550
      828-498-2231 FAX
      http://www.sporttouringusa.com
      http://www.dealsgap.com
      http://www.performancefasteners.com

      Ride Safe!

      Bud

      Bud Izen
      Keizer Oregon
      '99 Platinum 900

    • JETTECH
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28 8:12 PM
        Bud;

        I am glad you had a good experience with sport touring assy's they are really super folks to deal with, both in person and through the mail. I will see them at Daytona and I will say hello to them for you. I have had several dealing's with them and it has always been a pleasant experience.

        Randy