Re: aftermarket wind screens

  • checkswrecks
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
      Buffet is the amount of turbulence induced by the air moving from an
      area of higher pressure to lower pressure and volume has little to do
      with it. For example, cat's-eye vents will reduce the pressure
      differential between the front and back of the screen, even though
      the faired volume doesn't change. Guys who port cylinder heads, as
      well those working with aircraft wind tunnel models, are the first to
      say that understanding flow transition is more of an art than a
      science.

      Since your chest and helmet are part of the flow relationship, start
      by simply standing on the pegs and slowly sitting to see where the
      best break happens for you and your helmet. It's typically a few
      inches below the chin or so high that you have to look through the
      plastic.

      It's 28F in DC now and I'd love to have a Trophy fairing, rather than
      the one on my Sprint Exec (or ride with you in NZ!).

      Bob

      --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "rickwillmore" <willmore@i...> wrote:
      > --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "rgraya" <rgraya@y...> wrote:
      > > Have a 1996 Trophy 1200. Only real gripe besides top heaviness
      is
      > > the severe buffeting and wind noise. Have two wind screens, the
      > > stock one and the higher screen with the foreward recurve at the
      > > top. Kind of an 'S' curve. Both are noisy, although the taller
      of
      > > the two does give better protection. Has anyone had experience
      or
      > > luck in solving this buffeting problem?
      > > Zero Gravity advertizes an aftermarket screen in their sport
      > touring
      > > section but there are no pictures.
      >
      > You could always try going the other way, and trying a lower
      screen,
      > as I have. I am running a low screen very similar to the one on
      the
      > platinum bike on the home page. I find it pretty good for noise
      and
      > although you do get some wind force, it is constant rather than
      > buffeting, and completely bearable. The higher you go the bigger
      > volume of low pressure air you create behind the screen, the more
      > buffeting you get as the air around tries to fill it?
      > Rick
    • Ken Hastie
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2002
        On 1 Jan 02 at 16:46, rgraya wrote:

        > Have a 1996 Trophy 1200. Only real gripe besides top heaviness is
        > the severe buffeting and wind noise. Have two wind screens, the
        > stock one and the higher screen with the foreward recurve at the
        > top. Kind of an 'S' curve. Both are noisy, although the taller of
        > the two does give better protection. Has anyone had experience or
        > luck in solving this buffeting problem?

        Yes. I am 6'1" and use the Clearview XL. Check the archives and you
        will find a million messages with feedback on these screens.

        Ken the Geordie