Re: [TriumphTrophy] Dream bike

  • Beardg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2002
      In a message dated 1/1/2002 9:05:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com writes:

      << I thought it might be fun to
      have an idealized question for everyone to participate. Here it is.
      If you could buy one other bike (money no object) what would you buy to
      supplement your Trophy? >>

      Beardg>Ducati Monster 900/750/600,Speed Triple,or TBS. I would need more time
      to actually choose one.Much more time.
      DaveL.96Trophy4,69TR6R
    • Beverley Howe
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2002
        Mine would be a Suzuki GSX-R 1000 or like Rick an adventure bike probably
        the Cagiva 1000cc
        Cheers Scott W
        > In a message dated 1/1/2002 9:05:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com writes:
        >
        > << I thought it might be fun to
        > have an idealized question for everyone to participate. Here it is.
        > If you could buy one other bike (money no object) what would you buy to
        > supplement your Trophy? >>
        >
        > Beardg>Ducati Monster 900/750/600,Speed Triple,or TBS. I would need more
        time
        > to actually choose one.Much more time.
        > DaveL.96Trophy4,69TR6R
        >

        > Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations and
        comments are solely and strictly the responsibility of each contributor.
        Making use of the information is solely at the risk and discretion of the
        reader!

      • heyupmac
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2002

          ---------------------

          > I would like to have a brand new "Fat Boy" so that when I wave to
          all the Harley riders - they'd wave back, and because I want to be
          "cool" just like them!!

          Tony Mac.
        • Berken, C. G.
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2002
            > If you could buy one other bike (money no object) what would you buy to
            > supplement your Trophy? >>

            I have spent WAY too much time the past 18-24 months attempting to resolve this question. For the last couple years, the supplementary bike has been alternately defined by either a cruiser or a naked sportbike (Shadow, Virago, Magna, ZRX -- do you see a pattern to this progression?) This past July, the question was finally resolved when both an EFI Softail Deuce and Yamaha FZ1 entered my life, displacing the Trophy
            completely. My original fascination with the Trophy's XKE-like headlight configuration had been overwhelmed by the constant threat of its alternator bolt shearing with associated traumas of unimaginable severity, or the much dreaded "fuel starvation problem", followed by months in the shop without the dealer's top-flight mechanic having even a clue as to the origin of the problem or finally, the manufacturer's
            resistance to acknowledge responsibility for what appear to be design flaws.

            I do miss the panniers and protection in cold weather. Yamaha had listed on its web site that (comparatively miniature) hard luggage would be forthcoming for the FZ1, but I just noticed that there is no longer any such mention... so I guess I'll opt for either the ST1300, the Yamaha FJ1300 or the Trophy of our Dreams (in reverse order).

            Geoff Berken
          • JETTECH
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
              Tony Mac;

              I respect your choice but before you get a yuppieized P.O.S. you might want to consider the consiquences. I have owned and ridden Harlys for the last 20 years. As far as I am concerned I.M.H.O. I wouldn't let a Harley Mechanic EVER touch my machine again. Most of them I wouldn't trust to fix my lawn mower much less an over priced, overweight, yuppyized, piece of driveway jewelry, that all of the rest of the non riding rubbies (rich urban biker) choose to own. O.K. done venting......I really respect a person that rides regularly and not just to profile down main street in Daytona once a year. To all of you riders out there. My Hat is off to you. To all of you yuppie scum suckin Bas&%@#$, KISS MY A#@ ..ride safe all.

              Randy
              99 Buell S3T

            • Trey Herb
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
                I think Tony was being funny. Lighten up. And try the
                V-ROD. It not your father Harley.

                Trey
                --- JETTECH <JETTECH@...> wrote:
                > Tony Mac;
                >
                > I respect your choice but before you get a
                > yuppieized P.O.S. you might want to consider the
                > consiquences. I have owned and ridden Harlys for the
                > last 20 years. As far as I am concerned I.M.H.O. I
                > wouldn't let a Harley Mechanic EVER touch my machine
                > again. Most of them I wouldn't trust to fix my lawn
                > mower much less an over priced, overweight,
                > yuppyized, piece of driveway jewelry, that all of
                > the rest of the non riding rubbies (rich urban
                > biker) choose to own. O.K. done venting......I
                > really respect a person that rides regularly and not
                > just to profile down main street in Daytona once a
                > year. To all of you riders out there. My Hat is off
                > to you. To all of you yuppie scum suckin Bas&%@#$,
                > KISS MY A#@ ..ride safe all.
                >
                > Randy
                > 99 Buell S3T

                > removed]
                >

                > Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data
                > citations and comments are solely and strictly the
                > responsibility of each contributor. Making use of
                > the information is solely at the risk and discretion
                > of the reader!

                > Unsubscribe:
                >
                > URL to this page:

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                http://greetings.yahoo.com
              • heyupmac
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
                  --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., Trey Herb <trey_22206@y...> wrote:
                  > I think Tony was being funny. Lighten up. And try the
                  > V-ROD. It not your father Harley.
                  >
                  > Trey
                  > > Sorry Randy - I was only kidding! Wouldn't have a Harley
                  if you gave me one.

                  I do a lot of local rides and there's a lot of Harleys
                  in the area. I usually wave to other riders, regardless
                  of what make bike they happen to be on - (I've beeen known
                  to wave at scooters and mopeds on occassion).

                  So Randy, as an ex-Harley rider, please tell me why the
                  HOGS just ignore me? I'm starting to get a complex!

                  I did ask the question once before, and was told "If they
                  let go with one hand - they fall off" Don't know how true
                  that is!

                  Sorry for getting you wound up - but it's good to vent so
                  you owe me!

                  Regards,
                  Tony Mac.

                  > http://greetings.yahoo.com
                • Jeff Fennema
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
                    I think Tony was being funny. Lighten up. And try the
                    V-ROD. It not your father Harley.

                    True, my father's Harley was affordable and available.
                    Just not ever reliable. Or fast. Or light.

                  • nomorefours
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
                      ---> > I would like to have a brand new "Fat Boy" so that when I
                      wave to
                      > all the Harley riders - they'd wave back, and because I want to
                      be
                      > "cool" just like them!!
                      >
                      > Tony Mac.

                      About the waving thing...

                      I once made the mistake of attending a Harley-oriented camping
                      weekend on my late 70s Honda custom built cafe racer. After two days
                      of not being waved at and pretending I didn't hear the 'forgot my
                      sledgehammer at home' and 'riceburner' comments, I was not enjoying
                      myself anymore. I was never made to feel welcome at all - quite the
                      opposite - so I decided to pack up and leave early.

                      On my way down the road, just after leaving the campsight, I passed
                      the umpteenth HD rider who did not wave back. This was enough. I
                      decided the next one I saw I would wait to see if they waved first.
                      If they didn't, I would show them how I felt about it, and share a
                      little attitude myself.

                      The next HD rider came along. I waited, no wave. A little longer,
                      still no wave, then at the last possible second, I flipped him the
                      finger. Guess what? HE WAVED!!

                      A few years later, I bought a Buell and they still wouldn't wave at
                      me.

                      Then, one day, I took my Buell in for service and got a Heritage
                      Softail as a loaner bike for a couple of days.

                      I thought...'Ok, NOW they'll wave back to me...' uh, sorry, but still
                      no waving.

                      The reality is those folks wave at nobody, unless you can speak their
                      special language as detailed above. Even on another Harley, the
                      experience was the same!

                      Different strokes...

                      Doug
                    • Robert Marion
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
                        There are several hard-bag luggage options for the FZ-1. I believe you can
                        see them and the mounting equipment on www.riderhaus.com. There is much
                        discussion of this on the FZ-1 yahoo group list. This is, by far, the best
                        bike I have owned and price was not a serious consideration when I was
                        shopping, but it is notable that it was the least expensive of the other
                        bikes I was considering. I could go on about this for sometime, but seeing
                        as this is the Trophy list, I'd be happy to take the subject off line.

                        Robert

                      • TBuse5@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 4, 2002
                          doug.green@... writes:

                          > The reality is those folks wave at nobody, unless you can speak their
                          > special language as detailed above. Even on another Harley, the
                          > experience was the same!

                          Why are you so concerned that people acknowledge you on a bike? I personally
                          wave at everybody, my brother is exactly the opposite, he waves at no one.
                          Is your ego so fragile that you become enraged just because total strangers
                          won't respond to you?
                          Terry
                          2000 Trophy 900 "Melonee"
                          2000 Speed Triple "Loraly"

                        • J Norton
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 4, 2002
                            > Why are you so concerned that people acknowledge you
                            > on a bike? I personally wave at everybody, my
                            brother is exactly the opposite, he waves at no one.

                            > Is your ego so fragile that you become enraged just
                            > because total strangers won't respond to you?
                            > Terry
                            > 2000 Trophy 900 "Melonee"
                            > 2000 Speed Triple "Loraly"

                            Kinda like someone calling their motorcycle by a cute
                            little name. We all have our quirks.

                            John
                            1996 Trophy 1200 "the bike"

                            http://greetings.yahoo.com
                          • TBuse5@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 4, 2002
                              jgnorton621@... writes:

                              > Kinda like someone calling their motorcycle by a cute
                              > little name. We all have our quirks.

                              Ah, but that is my own little quirk. It doesn't make me
                              rant/generalize/stereotype/whatever, just because someone doesn't meet my
                              expectations. (However reasonable or unreasonable they may be.) Wave if you
                              want to, but don't give yourself an ulcer just because someone else doesn't
                              wave back.
                              Terry
                              2000 Trophy 900 "Melonee"
                              2000 Speed Triple "Loraly"

                            • JETTECH
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 4, 2002
                                Tony Mac;

                                I think its probably because they have forgotten their roots and are trying to be too cool to wave to a non Harley rider. I always used to, and still do wave to ALL riders but the nonriding, trailering, truck-hauling, Owners( I fail to see any reason I should call them riders)...... LOL ......Usually are too cool to wave. And yes they probably would fall off..........ROFLMAO.....Tony Mac you didn't get me angry at all, I just have an overpowering aversion to non rideing owners, as well as some of the Harley-Davidson Dealers that have forgotten their roots and dumped on the folks that rode Harley's and dealt with all of the shotty workmanship long before it was COOL to ride a Harley. IMHO

                                Ride'm till the wheels fall off, and then put new wheels on and ride some more.

                                Ride safe all.

                                Randy

                              • lgl12356
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 4, 2002
                                  --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., TBuse5@a... wrote:
                                  > In a message dated 1/3/02 5:59:39 PM Central Standard Time,
                                  > doug.green@c... writes:
                                  >

                                  > > The reality is those folks wave at nobody, unless you can speak
                                  their
                                  > > special language as detailed above. Even on another Harley, the
                                  > > experience was the same!
                                  > >

                                  > Why are you so concerned that people acknowledge you on a bike? I
                                  personally
                                  > wave at everybody, my brother is exactly the opposite, he waves at
                                  no one.
                                  > Is your ego so fragile that you become enraged just because total
                                  strangers
                                  > won't respond to you?
                                  > Terry

                                  Personally, I try to always give a fingers-up-from-the-grip
                                  wave. If I forget and try for a full wave, the wind blast
                                  almost rips my arm off.

                                  :)

                                  \||/
                                  [====]---

                                  Lowell
                                • norton8555
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 4, 2002
                                    --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "JETTECH" <JETTECH@c...> wrote:
                                    > I think its probably because they have forgotten their roots and
                                    are trying to be too cool to wave to a non Harley rider.

                                    Howdy all -

                                    As long ago as 1965 (but probably long before that, too) most Harley
                                    wonks didn't wave to anyone.
                                    But not because they're snooty. They're just worried about the tank-
                                    slapper they'd have to deal with if they let go;~)

                                    Ride safe
                                    Mike
                                  • nomorefours
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 4, 2002
                                      --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., TBuse5@a... wrote:
                                      > In a message dated 1/3/02 5:59:39 PM Central Standard Time,
                                      > doug.green@c... writes:
                                      >

                                      > > > Is your ego so fragile that you become enraged just because
                                      total strangers
                                      > won't respond to you?
                                      > Terry
                                      > 2000 Trophy 900 "Melonee"
                                      > 2000 Speed Triple "Loraly"

                                      Is your sense of humour so elusive that you have to resort to remarks
                                      like that?

                                      Sorry you didn't get a laugh...that was the intent.

                                      D.
                                    • TBuse5@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 8, 2002
                                        In a message dated 1/5/02 12:23:16 AM Central Standard Time,
                                        doug.green@... writes:

                                        > Is your sense of humour so elusive that you have to resort to remarks
                                        > like that?
                                        >
                                        > Sorry you didn't get a laugh...that was the intent.
                                        >
                                        > D.

                                        I don't know; is your sense of humor such that you can only laugh while
                                        putting down others? I don't presume to put down an entire group of owners
                                        just because they refuse to wave at me. My ego and I get along far too well
                                        for that.
                                        Terry
                                        2000 Trophy 900 "Melonee"
                                        2000 Speed Triple "Loraly"

                                      • nomorefours
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 9, 2002
                                          --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., TBuse5@a... wrote:
                                          > In a message dated 1/5/02 12:23:16 AM Central Standard Time,
                                          > doug.green@c... writes:
                                          >

                                          > > Is your sense of humour so elusive that you have to resort to
                                          remarks
                                          > > like that?
                                          > >
                                          > > Sorry you didn't get a laugh...that was the intent.
                                          > >
                                          > > D.
                                          > >

                                          > I don't know; is your sense of humor such that you can only laugh
                                          while
                                          > putting down others? I don't presume to put down an entire group
                                          of owners
                                          > just because they refuse to wave at me. My ego and I get along far
                                          too well
                                          > for that.
                                          > Terry
                                          > 2000 Trophy 900 "Melonee"
                                          > 2000 Speed Triple "Loraly"

                                          If you had read the entire post, as well as my follow-up comments,
                                          you would understand that there was a bigger context than waving
                                          behaviour to the situation. You would also understand I am not as
                                          ignorant as you seem to want to believe.

                                          Do I laugh when putting down others? Sometimes. I also laugh when
                                          putting down myself, I laugh at bad fortune, good fortune, good news,
                                          and bad news.

                                          Sometimes I laugh when I pull a wheelie, sometimes I laugh when I get
                                          pulled over for the same.

                                          Sometimes I laugh at the sheer stupidity of something I have done.
                                          Sometimes I laugh when somebody else makes the same mistake.

                                          Sometimes I laugh when somebody does not wave at me. Sometimes I
                                          laugh when they do. Sometimes I laugh just because I love to ride
                                          anything with two wheels and an engine (but of course you already
                                          read that in my last post).

                                          Sometimes I laugh instead of responding in kind.

                                          D.