Trophy v. C'ours v. BMW

  • vsimanca
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
      I have always wanted to own a touring or sports-touring bike.
      Finally go to the point where I thought I could afford one. Had
      been looking at the C'ours for a while. "Great bike for the price,"
      you know. I know a lot of C'ours riders and they are a very nice
      (huge) group, but they all complain about the buzz.

      The Sprint ST is a beauty, but is too "sports" for me, and terribly
      uncomfortable for the passenger -at least for the only passenger
      that counts in MY life. She liked the arrangement on my T-Bird
      with the sissy bar/pad.

      My wife and I took a test ride on the C'ours at Bikeoberfest and
      we were comfortable and pleased, for the most part. But even my
      wife, after only knowing the Trophy casually, kept on saying how
      the quality and finish of the C'ours just didn't seem as high as
      that of a Trophy. Not to mention looks: the matched luggage and
      top box are no comparison to the ugly bags on the C'ours; the
      fairing is much more aesthetically pleasing and when you take
      the luggage off, the bike is really nice looking.

      We sat on the Kawa ZZR1200, but ergos are basically arranged
      like a Sprint St. The luggage situation is really up in the air with
      those, yet. We sat on the 1150RT and we both loved the look and
      feel...'till I told my wife the MSRP.

      At about the same time, I was trying to make deal for a left over
      Sunset Red T900, but the dealership was asking MSRP. Then,
      out of the karmic blue, a new 2001 platinum T900 appears in the
      warehouse which no one really knew was there. (Nice story
      behind this, especially for anyone who owns a business.) Since
      both the Triumph Rep and my favorite dealer knew what I really
      wanted, I now have my platinum Trophy 900 "Arabela". (12/01/01)

      Even if I could afford a T1200 or even the 1150RT, I probably
      wouldn't buy it, because I'm too small. I know how heavy my T9
      feels...the Concours weighs almost 100 lbs more; the 1150RT
      is almost 200 lbs more. The shaft drive is nice, but adds
      tremendous amounts of weight. A chain is fine and dandy with
      me.

      I've put on about 900 miles on it and at the 500 mile service, I
      had gel grips and a Throttelmeister put on which have really
      improved my ability for long rides -and would highly recommend
      them to anyone planning on some long rides.

      Neil has to decide for himself based on his "feeling" for the bike
      and his wallet, but this is just MY story and I'm sticking to it...
    • norton8555
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
        --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "vsimanca" <vsimanca@y...> wrote:
        > I have always wanted to own a touring or sports-touring bike.
        > Finally go to the point where I thought I could afford one...

        Yeah, I know just what you mean. Two years ago I finished a process
        like yours which zeroed me in on the Trophy. I rode everything I
        could get my hands on, and read everything published/posted I could
        find on every bike that was even remotely sport-touring in nature. My
        ordeal ended up a choice between Trophy 1200 vs 900, and that was
        hard enough. Opted for the 1200, but I suspect the best answer would
        have been one of each because the banshee-wail of the triple still
        haunts me.
        My point: IMO Triumph, as they always have, makes motorcycles
        targeting a smaller, more closely defined category of Enthusiasts
        (um, choosier?) who can savor every motorcycle, but most of whom must
        carefully pick just one, two if lucky, three or more if unmarried.
        (Just kidding.)
        When I win the Lottery I'll own a Beemer, something Italian, an
        Enfield, a Ural, and an assortment of Nipponese iron. Until then,
        though, my Trophy keeps a stupid grin plastered on my mug.
        Enjoy your neat Christmas present!

        Mike
      • brucetrophy
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
          Your decision sounds remarkably like mine. Go to message #3191 and
          you can read my own process for picking the Trophy.
          It is always good to see another 900 rider on the board, you will
          love the bike.
          Bruce
          99/900
        • rickwillmore
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
            --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "vsimanca" <vsimanca@y...> wrote:
            >Then,
            > out of the karmic blue, a new 2001 platinum T900 appears in the
            > warehouse which no one really knew was there. (Nice story
            > behind this, especially for anyone who owns a business.)

            Congrats on the new bike, good choice. So what was the story behind
            the 900? I'm intrigued.
            Rick
          • vsimanca
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
              --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., "rickwillmore" <willmore@i...> wrote:
              >I'm intrigued.
              > Rick

              This might be a little long even tho' I'll try to be brief: the story
              is a simple one yet, with a big lesson for anyone with a
              business, especially a big one like Triumph America.

              The platinum T900 had been "allocated" to a shop in the
              Baltimore area, I believe...since June of 2001. But the dealer
              either decided he couldn't afford to have that much money
              tied-up on his showroom, or someone backed-out of the deal. (I
              believe it was the former, since the FLA rep. stated it as "they
              couldn't afford it.")

              Well, turns out that Triumph America (in GA, of course) does
              inventory only TWICE a year! Can you believe that?

              I was trying to deal for a Sunset Red T900 with one of the
              dealers in So. FL (S. Dade), but he was talking MSRP + T, T & T.
              I had called my dealer (Palm Beach) several times, since I knew
              I could get a
              better deal (and better trade from him) and he had tried to find
              me a demo, a slightly used one, whatever.

              I have also met, and gotten to know, the FLA rep and he's a hell
              of a nice guy. My dealer is the #1 Triumph and Ducati dealer in
              FL , (probably the US, too) because he knows how to treat
              customers. (This was my third bike from him). He kept hounding
              the rep to look for a bike for me. The rep happened to be in the
              warehouse after Biketoberfest and took a walk through the
              warehouse looking for bikes. He found TWO T900s. One in
              Sunset Red and my platinum one. Of course, he immediately
              called my dealer and e-mailed me with the news, since he knew
              I was trying to sell my T-Bird to go make an offer for the Red one.

              Can you believe a company has almost 20 grand lying around
              their warehouse and they don't even realize it? 'Course, I
              suppose I might have gotten a better deal if they had waited
              another couple of months to find it, but then again...

              Anyhow, there it is. Sorry it's a bit long...
            • tripletrophy1997
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
                Sound similar to the way I got my Trophy - a '97 with 28 km on it at
                the end of 2000. A dealer had received it, done a predelivery (the
                maintenance records show addressing of TSB's), taken a spin and parked
                it. Triumph eventually pulled it back and put it in a dealer that
                could sell it. A choice between a '97 BRG and a '00 Blue, with a
                hefty discount for the '97? Enough said.

                Larry
                '97 900 BRG