Changes for 99 vs 98

  • mwhurst@xxxx.xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 1999
      Michael,
      I understand you are the tech guru of sorts on Trophys. I have a questions
      regading bars. The book says there is a bar change from 98 to 99. The only
      difference that is mentioned is that they are aluminum for 99. Is there any
      other difference and if so are they worth changing to? Height or angle
      better? I have ridden a 99 1200 but not a 1998 so have nothing to compare to.
      Thanks Mike Birdwell
      "Some may say that slow is good - and they may be right on some days - but I
      am here to tell you that fast is better ... It will always be better to be
      shot out of a cannon than squeezed out of a tube, and that's why God made
      fast motorcycles, Bubba."
      Hunter S. Thompson
      RDHG1246@...
    • Kevin B
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2012
        Not sure about 98 v 99 but my brothers 92 definitely has much more tucked in sports position handlebars than my 96 with my 96 almost being a Mk2.

        Both of our bikes are Mk1 but with quite a few differences.

        His, the earlier bike, is different as follows:-

        Tucked in bars.
        Higher pegs.
        Different footrest hangers.
        Different wheels 6 spoke rather than 3.
        Fixed (not floating) front discs.
        Smaller diameter discs.
        Twin rather than four pot front brakes.
      • t309s
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2012
          AFAIK there were three types of handlebar fitted over the whole model
          run (1991-2003).
          The first (91-93, to VIN 4901) were lower and narrower than the later
          two versions, about a 1 inch rise from the top yoke at the clamp,
          dropping to about level at the end. They are aluminium with black
          chromed mild steel bar end weights with machined threaded ends. Lings'
          schematic shows them in line-drawing form
          <http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?bloc\
          k_01=&block_02=304712&block_03=132279> . There are some pictures that
          show this type from a few different angles on my blog
          <http://trimotorevival.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/arrival.html> .
          The second were introduced for in 93 for the 94 model year (so 93-96,
          VIN 4902 to VIN 29155), with the major engine revisions (more torque,
          less power), change to single colour bodywork and lowered foot pegs.
          They have about a 2 inch rise at the clamp and are about an inch wider
          each side and are also less swept back than the first versions. They are
          steel and have stainless bar end weights retained by a countersunk
          stainless M6 bolt. I have a pair of these as well as the originals for
          my 91 Trophy 1200.
          The third were part of the major changes to the whole bike at VIN 29156,
          including twin headlamp fairing and rounded bodywork. Plenty of folks
          think of this as the mark 2 but I think of it as a mark 3 because of the
          major refocusing of the Trophys in 94. They are a lot higher again and
          have a pinch bolt as well as M8 holding direct to the top yoke. I don't
          have a pair of these bars so can't say how much higher but I'd estimate
          a further inch.
          I don't know of any changes to the bars in 99 but there were a whole
          package of revisions to the 1200s, including totally revised engine
          cases, along the lines of the T5 triples. I think of this one as a mk 4.
          I've just checked Lings online parts catalogue
          <http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?bloc\
          k_01=&block_02=304547&block_03=132106> and it lists different part
          number for bars from VIN 78000 on, but that a kit was available for
          earlier VINs.
          Lee
          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin B" <kandlbarrett@...>
          wrote:

          > Not sure about 98 v 99 but my brothers 92 definitely has much more
          tucked in sports position handlebars than my 96 with my 96 almost being
          a Mk2.

          > Both of our bikes are Mk1 but with quite a few differences.
          >
          > His, the earlier bike, is different as follows:-
          >
          > Tucked in bars.
          > Higher pegs.
          > Different footrest hangers.
          > Different wheels 6 spoke rather than 3.
          > Fixed (not floating) front discs.
          > Smaller diameter discs.
          > Twin rather than four pot front brakes.

        • Phil Golden
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2012
            Really great info. I have been wondering about this and the 'generations'.

            Sent from my iPhone
          • t309s
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2012
              Mine's a 91 and my mate Bostik has an early 93 - both mk 1s. The engine changes to 1200s in 94 were primarily different cams (to the so-called 'blue' profile from the 'green' profile), improving torque to 78 ftlbs at 5000 rpm from 75 ftlbs at 8000 rpm, at the expense of a reduction in top end power from 125 to 108 bhp. There are loads of minor detail differences too.