88218RE: Replacement engine re-build - stripped threads

  • t309s
    Jan 15, 2014

      The only function the cam cover bolts perform is to apply enough pressure on the big rubber gasket to keep the oil in. I can't remember the torque setting for these but it is around 10ftlbs - not a lot. Even then, the manual says it should be supplemented with silicon sealant. So I wouldn't worry about having only lightly tightened some of the bolts unless you start losing an unacceptable amount of oil. Then I would Helicoil (or equivalent), followed by careful deburring of the inner edge of the hole you drilled through the cam cap.

      Hope it works out for you.

      Lancaster Red 91 BBBB 44000m

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic