87600RE: Re: [TriumphTrophy] RE: Ideas for major running problem after rebuild? '97 Trophy

  • techshare26
    Oct 16, 2013

      Bob,

      If you get this message, please let me know when I can call you. I got your number, but wasn't sure when you were available to talk for a few. Thanks!

      ---In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <apsllp@...> wrote:

      Bob uses a feeler gauge for initial bench sync!

      More important on a machine that hasn't been running in a while is that everything is clean, including the emulsion tubes. Then knowing all of the seals, diaphrams etc are in good shape before re assembling the carbs.

      I found it impossible to do a complete cleaning without separating the carbs from the rack. That isn't a task to be taken lightly and require proper preparation before dis-assembly.

      On the machine in St. Augustine, I suspect there are multiple issues to be resolved befor it will run well enough to sync the carbs.  It can be done, and takes patience.  Doing things methodically helps. So does using Non-ethanol fuel for set up.

      Greg and Ed were good teachers.  This is not a job to be rushed.

      I'd rather look over the machine and know our baseline before taking anything apart at this point.  Tear down after making a complete assesment goes quick and is usually easy. It's the details in re-assembly and set up that are hurdles.   Yet until I put eyes on the internals of all the carbs, its difficult to know what we are working with.

      I'm on the North end of Jax and can see Ameilia Island from my new to us home. We will be 40 miles north of St. Augustine.  Right now, everything (tools, bikes, contents of home, etc) is in storage, as we are moving to the new place this weekend provided the well water test comes back clean. (Ken, the house behind us is on deep water with access to Nassau Sound and has a vacant dock for a sailing yacht, come visit!)

      Bob Clark
      01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
      96 BRG T-Bird 900
      Jacksonville, FL

      From: techshare26@...
      To: <TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Tue, Oct 15, 2013 6:05 pm

      Forgot to add that I didn't really do anything with the throttle adjustment when i hooked the carb back up. Wasn't really sure what to do other than verify it was pulling open those brass gates. I did notice that the gates weren't fully closed when assembled (nearly vertical but not quite). How should the throttle be adjusted before starting?

      ---In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <techshare26@...> wrote:

      Hey all,

      Finally got the courage to put some gas in the tank and try to start my Trophy that I've been slowly getting back together again. I figured it wouldn't be easy, and even though I cleaned the tank, removed cleaned fuel tap, etc. I found a pinhole leak in the tank that I have to fix.

      The good news is the Trophy did start, but only after I put some starting fluid through airbox. It then revved up really high :( Tried this a few times, and noticed I had the choke fully engaged. So, after disengaging choke, I was able to get the idle down, while frantically turning that idle knob adjuster. However, at a lower idle, the throttle seemed to have NO effect on the engine. So, if I turn the idle up and/or engage choke, the engine revved up high again. I pulled the throttle just to see, and I could hear a hiccup when it was revving high.

      Figuring something was very wrong with my assembly of the carb or cleaning, I just turned it off. I know I'm going to have to take it all back apart again, but I'm really not sure what to look for given these symptoms. If there is a jet stuck or missing, where or what might it be? Also, how do i check that idle adjuster? I have a feeling it's not right, but it's kind of attached right to the carb. The only other thing I noticed while assembling and routing cables, was that the choke seemed kind of sticky when the carb was dry. Like if you engage/disengage, the little plastic parts would sort of move back with hesitation.

      I probably should add that I'm still unsure about the petcock. I just pulled off the fuel line which attaches to the left side (long fitting), and noticed fuel would flow, but only when it was turned to the sky in prime position. I only had about 2 gallons of gas in the tank and don't even have it bolted down.

      Thanks for any ideas or resources to making sure this carb , fuel system is ok. Would really like to get this running properly again.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic