87596RE: RE: Lower left engine mount/sidestand bracket bolt!!!

  • slovcan
    Oct 16, 2013

      Thanks Dan, yeah that would have been the next step, I guess. BTW, got the big nut off - 210 lbs pushing a 1.5 foot long power bar in gear with the back brake locked up and CRACK! Nothing broke and the nut was loose. I still can't believe how much sand/grease/crap was in there.

      Cheers,

      Glenn

      ---In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, <triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

       Guess you will have cracked it by now but if you are still struggling Glenn then take the rear wheel and hugger off

      Dan

      ---In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <slovcan@...> wrote:

      Thanks Jason. I was able to put a shallow 19mm socket on my 3/8" drive power bar (about a foot long) and set it in through the exhaust so it stayed on the nut. I think I will put some silly putty in the socket to hold the nut in, set it in place again and see if I can get the bolt started.

      Or invite a friend over for a beer...

      Glenn

      ---In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <biker_jas@...> wrote:

      I guess I'm too late ... you found it. Yes its not very easy to see until you find it.  I don't know how one person can get it back on ... unless you have very long arms. I had someone hold the bolt steady while I threaded on the nut from under the bike.

      Cheers
      Jason

      On Monday, October 14, 2013 8:05:26 PM, "slovcan@..." <slovcan@...> wrote:

      I know, Poppa. Thanks. I find there are times when some humourous venting can be very productive. Heading out now to start putting the right side back together.

      Schedules were made to be broken, as opposed to rules which are meant to be bent.

      Cheers,
      Glenn

      ---In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <jackbyers@...> wrote:

      Easy now Son, it'll all work out remember,"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger!
         Poppa
      On Oct 14, 2013, at 3:24 PM, <slovcan@...> <slovcan@...> wrote:

      Hide the screen or turn the children's eyes away.

      That fucking great long engine mount bolt is NOT so fucking long after all. BASTARD! I discovered this after taking the footrest mounting subframe (control plate) off the OTHER side to access the spinning nut! There is a bolt on each side that only goes in as far as the rear shock where there is now a spinning nut that even Herko Patter (Hungarian superhero) couldn't see! Stop laughing. It isn't FUNNY! Fuck! Or, as we say in the office FOXTROT!

      OK, regrouping now.

      Glenn

      ---In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <slovcan@...> wrote:

      Thanks for that A2. Can never have too many things to worry about...

      Hmmm, tire valve. Next!

      Cheers ;-) ,
      Glenn

      ---In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <adeux60@...> wrote:

       you havent got to the potential 300NM and lock tight glue for the sprocket nut yet!.......mine was just hand tight.....

      it was removing the clutch basket though that I put a piece of wood through the rear wheel to lock up the engine that I ripped off the tyre valve....

      ---In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <slovcan@...> wrote:

      Hi Jason, yes it does help. Could you actually see and access the nut on the right side of the bike as she sat or did you have to remove the footrest subframe (actually called a "control plate")? On mine it seems to be completely covered from view or access.

      Thanks,
      Glenn

      ---In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <biker_jas@...> wrote:

      Actually I thought the same was happening to me when I had to do the same thing when changing my front sprocket. I had the similar issue getting the bolt out, but finally did with some twisting and pulling / turning with a flat head screwdriver under the blot head.

      I was concerned about how the bolt was going to torque down when I reassembled ... however after cleaning everything under the engine I noticed that the bolt actually goes right through and comes out the other side (center of under the bike) with a large nut to hold it down.  The other side of the engine is similar.

      When I had undone the bolt the nut had fallen down but got snagged in the frame / swing arm.  Pulled it out with a magnet.  I was at the point of going of bringing the bolt to nut and bolt place near here to get a replacement when I noticed it hanging there.
      Hope this helps
      Jason

      On Sunday, October 13, 2013 10:52:28 PM, "slovcan@..." <slovcan@...> wrote:

      Thanks Greg. What about the second bolt for the sidestand mount? Is it hidden behind the footpeg subframe?

      Glenn

      ---In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <gandrews2@...> wrote:

      Hi Glenn,
      You are right, it is a loose spinning nut. There are no captured nuts or threaded holes in the engine mounts. It is time to get a flashlight and lay on your back. No room for a box end wrench, have to use an open end wrench. I forget if it is a 15mm or 17mm.
      While you are in there, this would be a good time to grease the swing arm axle ( no grease fittings for those bushings), and change out the rubber chain slider .
      Good luck,
      Greg

      ---In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <slovcan@...> wrote:

      Well, I seem to be screwed. I am trying to remove the sprocket cover to replace the front sprocket and gearshift shaft seal. Step 2 according to the GBoHaynes is to remove the sidestand bracket bolt and the lower left engine mount bolt. I can see only one bolt - the lower left engine mount bolt which goes through the sidestand bracket.

      Torque should have been 95 nm, but I was able to loosen it easily with a 3/8" drive breaker bar about a foot long. Something is adrift in there. The bolt is completely loose after only a few turns and will not thread out or back in. Nor can I pull it out. I cannot see the opposite end of the bolt, but I think it must thread into a captive nut or threaded boss on the frame.

      In my view, there is likely to be another sidestand bracket bolt behind the footrest bracket/subframe assembly. It also seems logical that removing this subframe from both side of the bike might reveal a loose and spinning nut on the opposite end of that engine mount bolt. There is no mention of any of this in the GBoH, but maybe that book was written before my particular 1999 Trophy was built (VIN above 29xxx).

      Has anybody else been through this and can you offer some insight? Time now to reflect over a spiced rum while awaiting Thanksgiving supper. Happy Thanksgiving everybody. I'll wish my American neighbours Happy Thanksgiving next month.

      Cheers,
      Glenn

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic