War

  • ei ei khin
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
      As a society whose main principles are of peace and liberation, I belive it
      is important for us to make a stance on the current situation. Other
      religious bodies, such as the United Methodist Church, have made their
      position public allowing for us a unique opportunity to practice what we
      preach. I understand that the situation is complex and needs analysis. I
      would be happy to provide information about the situation. I am a student
      at the University of California Santa Barbara and a few student, faculty and
      staff groups are doing intensive studies on the matter. Politics and
      religion cannot exist alone as we do not exist alone and we are the
      embodiment of religion and faith. Please feel free to ask questions and get
      a discussion going, as nothing we do or feel about vegetarianism, sex,
      family, and enlightenment may matter once we are evaporated from this earth.
      =0) with wishes of peace, compassion and justice,
      khin ei ei khin

      (Moderator's comment on acceptable messages: Discussion should be from the Theravada Buddhist View point only)

      Get faster connections�-- switch to�MSN Internet Access!
    • christine_forsyth
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2002
        ei ei khin (and group),

        I would be very interested in whatever you had to share with us. Any
        dialogue that promotes peace is worthwhile.

        I admire Maha Ghosananda (whose entire family were killed by the
        Khmer Rouge), and would suggest he is well worth emulating.
        Particularly his compassion for both victim and aggressor, and the
        belief that World Peace can occur no other way except by beginning
        with Personal Peace.
        "The suffering of Cambodia has been deep.
        From this suffering comes Great Compassion.
        Great Compassion makes a Peaceful Heart.
        A Peaceful Heart makes a Peaceful Person.
        A Peaceful Person makes a Peaceful Family.
        A Peaceful Family makes a Peaceful Community.
        A Peaceful Community makes a Peaceful Nation.
        A Peaceful Nation makes a Peaceful World.
        May all beings live in Happiness and Peace. (Ghosananda, 1992: 28).
        http://www.peacecouncil.org/rpcfal98.html#anchor2613929
        http://www.peacecouncil.org/rpcfal98.html#anchor2614943

        Words of the Buddha - From the Tipitaka:
        Yodhajiva Sutta "The Warrior"
        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/samyutta/sn42-003.html
        Non-Violence: A study guide
        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/nonviolence.html

        From Bhikkhu Bodhi
        The Problem of Conflict
        ""By what bonds are people bound whereby, though they wish to live in
        peace, without hate and hostility, they yet live in conflict, with
        hate and hostility." The Master replied: "It is the bonds of envy and
        avarice that so bind people that, though they wish to live in peace,
        they live in conflict, with hate and hostility.""
        http://www.buddhistinformation.com/a_remedy_for_despair.htm
        Laying Down the Rod
        http://www.buddhistinformation.com/laying_down_the_rod.htm

        Violence and Disruption in Society
        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/bps/wheels/wheel392.html

        The Master said of the True Disciple "He is one who unites the
        divided, who promotes friendships, enjoys concord, rejoices in
        concord, delights in concord, and who speaks words that promote
        concord."
        metta,
        Christine